News story on the Edmund Fitzgerald. Story and song.

AcousticAl

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:19 pm

Here's a news story from the Chicago Sun-Times about new evidence on what sank the E. Fitzgerald. Gordie is changing the song lyrics to match what really happened. Good call, I think. Honours the sailors more as well. Read on..

The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down, but singer Gordon Lightfoot says he plans to change the lyrics to his song, the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald," after researchers concluded that a gigantic, 50-foot rogue wave -- not human error -- was responsible for sinking the ship.

The Edmund Fitzgerald left Superior, Wis., on the evening of Nov. 9, 1975, bound for Zug Island, near Detroit. The next day, it encountered a fierce storm and sank. Twenty-nine lives were lost -- the greatest disaster in the history of the Great Lakes. The U.S. Coast Guard concluded that the boat sank because the crew left the cargo hatches open, allowing the holds to fill with water.

In the show "Dive Detectives," a new series for History Television, a diving team deployed wave-generating technology to simulate the conditions faced by the Edmund Fitzgerald. The tests demonstrate how the force of the freak wave, crashing down on the midsection of the boat -- already low in the water because of its heavy cargo --- might have caused it to split in two.

Lightfoot said the conclusion is "definitive." Instead of singing "at 7 p.m. a main hatchway caved in," he'll sing "at 7 p.m. it grew dark, it was then, He said, 'Fellas, it's been good to know ya.' " Scripps Howard News Service

Lavallee

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm

Al , this is great information, that video is fantastic but with a sad story. Lake Superior is a small sea with the dangers linked to it. The waves hitting the ship are chilling.

That song should have a lesson as it has been discussed before by the man himself.

Marc

takhak

Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:31 pm

Al.
Iget chills every time Ihear it or play it.I learned it for my father. He was draftsman
for shipping firms in several states. I thought he would like it. His reply when I
finished, "Play Lucille"

heyjoe

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:47 am

Hey Al

Thanks for the information. It's a great song, worthy of a lesson I think.
I never knew the history of the song, its always been a song I've loved listening to, so thanks for educating me.

Joe

Chasplaya

Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:46 am

Always been a favourite of mine. When I first heard the song played by a friend one night at a jam session I just had to research the story and then learn the song, what a mission so many lyrics but the strum is quite repetitive. Anyway this was good to read about. As for a lesson the strumming is fairly straightforward, the lesson might be more in the lead playing, from our electric teacher as the string bends are crucial to the sound.

AcousticAl

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:46 am

Interesting. Always been a favorite of mine also. Thanks for the info!

- Catfish

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:55 pm

I watched a show not too long ago on the Science Channel here in the US and it was about these super waves. Very scary!!!!!!!!!!

Love this old song, and would really enjoy it if it was revived by the new findings.

J

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm

Thanks Al, this is oner of my all time favourites from Gord. Proud to say I've always been able to sing it word perfect in spite of all the verses... I'll have to make sure I get the new lyrics right now!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic