SO Eric Clapton - What are his top 10 tunes...??

neverfoundthetime

Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:23 pm

.... I know, I know, Chas... maybe Neil can convert me over to the other side on Eric C (maybe that's where I am already, certainly compared to 99% of TGers!) and actually get me to play one of his songs.... I'll only go screaming but Sunshine of your Loves does sound really cool so... you never know!

dieguy

Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:00 pm

Ok here is my first post, I love Clapton and felt impelled.

1. Bell Bottom Blues
2. Crossroads
3. Sunshine of your love
4. Lay Down Sally
5.White Room
6.Tears in Heaven
7. After Midnight
8. Further on up the road
9. Let it rain
10. Running on faith

Honorable mention would be the guitar work he did on While my guitar gently weeps.

This is almost impossible as I could easily replace these ten with ten others without any regrets. Happy Birthday E.C.

beaker

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Glad to see that Lay Down Sally and Crossroads have been added. Those are definitely top 10 songs.

tom18

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:01 pm

OK, Here's my take:

Badge
Bell bottom Blues
Further on up the road
Lay Down Sally
Have You Ever Loved A Woman
Layla
Wonderful Tonight
White Room
Sunshine of Your Love
Strange Brew

And it's only one hour before the close of day on EC's 65th (EST).
Pretty hard to reduce his career to a top ten. Thanks for all the great music Eric and a very Happy Birthday!
Tom

frybaby

Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:09 pm

Neverfoundthetime; Bellbottom Blues will convert you. I guarantee it. have a listen AsaP

tovo

Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:05 pm

This is all subjective I absolutely get that, but I find it hard to accept a Clapton top 10 without Layla in it.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:11 am

frybaby wrote:
Neverfoundthetime; Bellbottom Blues will convert you. I guarantee it. have a listen AsaP
Ok Frybaby, I'll give it a go.... Sunshine of Your Love has broken the ice for me, really loved Neil's lesson on it. Just to warn you, I walked out of a Clapton concert a few years back as he played too much of his blues stuff and bored me to death, almost!!

EDIT: Na, Frybaby, Bell-bottom Blues doesn't do it for me... thank Neil for Sunshine! ;-)

MarkM

Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:11 pm

Great catagory here. I don't have much time so I can't get you the whole list but I would have to say that Hello Old Friend is, for me anyway, in the top 10. Great song that doesn't get enough credit.

MarkM

sws626

Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:11 am

Hi Matt,

It's clear that the motivation for this question is a new streaming package and I have mixed feelings about the way this approach appears to be driving new lessons on Target; but that's a topic for another discussion.

Here are the songs I'd most like to see taught on Target. It's impossible to choose 10 top Clapton tunes, but I think it's somewhat easier to choose 10 beautiful songs that cover a range of techniques of broad interest. So here's my list, in order:

[ol]Bell Bottom Blues
Layla
Old Love
Hey Hey
Tears in Heaven
Change the World
Lay Down Sally
Lonely Stranger
Wonderful Tonight
Promises[/ol]

You'll notice I haven't included some great songs like Badge or J.J. Cale's brilliant After Midnight and Cocain -- not because they aren't great, but because it seems to me they have less pedegogical value.

- Stuart

TGMatt

Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:16 am

sws626 wrote:
[quote]Hi Matt,

It's clear that the motivation for this question is a new streaming package and I have mixed feelings about the way this approach appears to be driving new lessons on Target; but that's a topic for another discussion.

Here are the songs I'd most like to see taught on Target. It's impossible to choose 10 top Clapton tunes, but I think it's somewhat easier to choose 10 beautiful songs that cover a range of techniques of broad interest. So here's my list, in order:

[ol]Bell Bottom Blues
Layla
Old Love
Hey Hey
Tears in Heaven
Change the World
Lay Down Sally
Lonely Stranger
Wonderful Tonight
Promises[/ol]

You'll notice I haven't included some great songs like Badge or J.J. Cale's brilliant After Midnight and Cocain -- not because they aren't great, but because it seems to me they have less pedegogical value.

- Stuart[/quote

You have your first assumption completely wrong...this thread is not driving any of the lesson creations...never has never will....we were just curious as to what the rest of you would consider the top 10 ...as opposed to what WE ARE ALREADY DOING...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic