What kind of guitar did Eric Clapton Play?

stratman3

Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:19 am

Neil.
I just read your news posting in my email. You asked the question, what kind of guitar did Eric play when he showed up at the last minute for the concert for Baglidesh, don't think I spelled that right, I beieve he played a Gibson 335 on Layla.

sws626

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 pm

If you are talking about the 1971 benefit concert, I'm pretty sure he's holding a short-scale Gibson ES-350T.

BigBear

Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:37 pm

Stratman- I think he was most famous for playing "Brownie" a 1956 Stratocaster that now resides in the Experience Music Project and Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame in Seattle, Washington. At the time it sold for $450,000, then a record, especially for a worn out beat up guitar! lol!

He is also known for playing a Martin 000-EC and 000-28ECB (Brazilian), both of which Martin now makes as Eric Clapton Signature models. Amazing guitar when played by one of my favorite players, David Nachmanoff.

Cheers! :cheer:

stratman3

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Bear,
you are correct, but what I was responding to was Neil's triva question, from one of his fdaily video's about what kind of guitar EC played during the concert for Banglidesh with George. I just see the film footage and I thought it was a Gibson 335, which did look out of place. but I was incorrect. I think Neil said it was a Gibson Birdland or something like that or SWS626 in his response....Thanks
Thanks for you input, love TG. B)

sws626

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Stratman,

They look a lot alike, but it's not a Byrdland. The Byrdland had single rectangular fret inlays, while EC's guitar has the twin parallelograms characteristic of the ES-350T.

-Stuart

Here's a photo of a Byrdland:

sws626

Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 pm

And here's an ES-350T, the guitar Clapton is playing in the photo with George Harrison:

TGNeil

Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey Gang,

This has turned into an interesting point of controversy, and I might be able to shed some light on it. The official story through Eric and some sites dedicated to him lists the Bangla Desh guitar as a Byrdland but I have always suspected it was not, just that Eric thought it was.

I think Stuart has it right- an ES 350.

Neil

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:44 am

sws626 wrote:
Hi Stratman,

They look a lot alike, but it's not a Byrdland. The Byrdland had single rectangular fret inlays, while EC's guitar has the twin parallelograms characteristic of the ES-350T.

-Stuart

Here's a photo of a Byrdland:

I think the guitar in the photo of EC and George may actually be a combo of both a Byrdland and the ES350T. Essentially a ES 350T due to the neck parallelograms, but the tailpiece looks like the unique Byrdland which has Birdland written on the crosspiece. Both guitars used Florentine and Venetian cutaways so you can't use that. But the ES 350T was the El Cheapo version with cheaper components, however, the various transitions of both mixed and matched pickup etc so yet another area where you can't tell. The headstock in the EC pic looks more like the Byrdland headstock 'same central logo'. Had it been a colour photo it would be easier to tell. Also the Early Byrdlands used tortoiseshell pickguards then later moved to the traditional Gibson style again used in both guitars.
The tuners in the EC pic also look like the Byrdland ones. So it maybe that someone dressed up an ES350T to look more like the more expensive Byrdland.

Just had the magnifying glass out lol, More confusion, the EC pic guitar has bound F-holes, which the ES350T did not...

sws626

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:53 am

Hi Chas,

The tailpiece would be a good clue if it weren't obstructed by the mic stand. Maybe you can make it out, but it's hard for me to see whether it looks more like the Byrdland tailpiece (shown below):

or the ES-350T, shown here:

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:56 am

If you zoom in on the pic it looks like the Byrdland crosspiece and distinctive loops, also the potplant logo on the headstock is Byrdland plus the f-holes are bound whereas the ES350t was not. MIght need to search for a better photo. Its confused me somewhat, has features from both

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic