The Sounds of Silence

tovo

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Hey guys......What's happening??? It's REAL quiet around here right now. Is everyone practicing as Neil suggested in his video?? You know...I hate to reinforce stereotypes (although I am just about to) but you Americans aren't exactly known for being quiet and reserved....there's something happening here...what it is ain't exactly clear!

What's everyone up to? How about a summary from everyone of what they are working on, or what is keeping them so busy?

Me, I'm working hard on a bit of Cat Stevens...love that dude. At least I loved him when he was a Cat.

What about y'all?

haoli25

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 pm

I have been spending some 'quality' time with my money before I have to send it to the government next week. :ohmy:

It is always sad to say goodbye to a large part of your "G.A.S." budget!

The tsnunami of Clapton songs are also keeping me busy. :)

Bill

dekotaj

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:08 pm

As for now,Romanza and The Fisherman.Both of them are kicking my butt.The finger stratches on the secound part of Romanza or a little rough.

Kevin

dieguy

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I was starting to get a complex :( , I just joined the forum and everything seemed to really die down in here. As for me I have been working on Fire and Rain among others. I have also recently purchased a used Guild Acoustic/Eectric which I have been familiarizing myself with. It has a narrower neck than my Seagull which I am finding challenging, but I really like the tone.I am hoping to put up my first video up for all of you to comment on this weekend. I have done a couple practice runs and can't believe how nervous I get when I am in front of the camera :blush: Even when I know I am just going to delete it. What a dork I am.

Bill

mcfingers

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:03 pm

Hey gang as the saying goes.... Life happens.... I think that's how it goes. Being a middle school science teacher I've been dealing with my wonderful group of hormones on feet. Spring has sprung here on the west coast and it shows. I am chaperoning a dance tomorrow night, always entertaining. :laugh:
I have really enjoyed the Eric C. stuff. I have been setting on my revolving guitar chair spinning through Laya, Tears in Heaven and Hey Hey. I have also been working on some Simon and Garfunkel stuff, The Boxer, April come She Will. I've been trying some variations of Freight Train and trying to learn "Streets of London. Of course I have to fit in all the "around the house" stuff that needs tending to as well. I check the site every day to catch Neil's updates and looking for the latest video uploads by members.

I hope everyone is finding some guitar time as well. I find there's nothing like a little guitar playing to soothe the nerves after a long day.

Best wishes,

Steve

Lavallee

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I have been travelling for business a lot recently, not having enough time to play. I only have the weekend to play which I am focusing on Over the hills and far away after the video comments. Also working on Mood for a Day which is alomost a life long project, Linus and Lucy, Windy and warm and Bron-Yr-Aurs which will most likely be my next video.

I think that there is room for the new comers to express their views and to refresh the forum a bit.

Marc

sws626

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Hi Tony,

I was thinking much the same thing -- very quiet.

I've been working on some Neil Young songs to try to get comfortable playing with a pick. I'll post one as soon as I can get a free and quiet afternoon.

My 2 1/2 year old daugher has taken a healthy (but potentially destructive) interest in my guitar, so I bought her a little 1/4 size Ashton classical guitar (Australian). The quality is far better than I'd expected for £30, but it could use better tuning machines.

Stuart

izzyhara

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Interesting that you should make that comment, because it felt to me like things were really quiet as well. For those of us in the northern hemisphere, I think spring might have something to do with it. All of a sudden it is getting warmer, and we can actually spend some free time outdoors. For me personally, work got in my way big time, and then we had some family stuff - my family all lives about 200 miles west of me, so I have been on the road a lot. My guitar practicing is suffering a bit due to these other demands on my time. But I was able to squeeze in a good bit the last couple of days. And as I was sitting here writing this, a string just broke on my Taylor. I've been meaning to re-string it.... guess there is no excuse now. I have purchased an amp and mics and cords and stuff, and haven't even taken any of it out of the boxes yet. So I am still here, and still listening. Guess it will ebb and flow. Still love you guys. Izzy

ffsooo3

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:47 pm

I got me a webcam (used low-end) trying to figure out how to use it and thinking about maybe posting some actual videos of me playing. We'll see......

Also working or "Amazing Grace" and "Whiter Shade of Pale".

TGMatt

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Yeah Tony it really hit a wall after Easter..extended vacations, spring in the US, back to work grind..and it is funny you were all thinking the same thing but not posting lol..kinda Mexican Standoff...waiting for each other to make the first move..

It is amazing how many in my business network are so buried at moment, working extra hours to cover layoffs, or just plain behind on stuff..so no surprise..

the thing will always retract and expand and breathe and cycle , that is it's nature..

some one will come along and ignite tension, or passion, or a new person will feel inspired to join in..or a watcher who has been on the sidelines for a year may finally decide to dip their toes..

I think we have dumped so much new stuff on you all as well..even the new releases have not gotten the comments..yet the actual views on posts etc is still at it's normal levels..so folk are here..

Love for you to take a moment and comment on some of the more recent lessons..let us know how the vocal ones worked out..or if anyone is getting the drip feed songs polished up..

I think we may have some more surprises up our sleves for you as well ; )

Dont forget to vote too for the competition or paste your ideas in the win in an Ipad comp..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic