The Sounds of Silence

TGMatt

Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:58 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Well apart from the Elton John project and sporadic guitar playing on the balcony in the spring sunshine I've got my head down in work. At the moment I'm illustrating and re-writing our national squash coaching manual for coaches. This is work I love as I get paid to be creative in a visual media working in my field of expertise and chewing through all the details and arguing the toss with people who know their stuff. Mostly I'm bent over a hot laptop all day long at home so sporadic breaks with my guitar on the balcony are just what I need... mostly playing songs I already know but not too much new stuff. Image
An entire comic book of squash players discussing the guitar, playing and TG ??..

THis cartoon was the best mate

Thx

BobR

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:26 am

I have been busy viewing all of the latest lessons. Now I need to choose and start practicing. So many lessons so little time. I love it though :laugh: :laugh:

bob

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:37 am

For Matt: Image

jimcjimc

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm

I am not a prolific poster (no longer fresh, but still junior), but I have been working on various techniques (playing with a pick, strumming with the correct fingers, barre chords) vs. learning new songs, but I did spend some time on the Circle Game & Hula Blues. I find myself sometimes thinking this week I am going to work on barre chords, then some really cool lesson is available and I spend the week in an alternate tuning trying to play the new song.

For a while I found myself spending more time reading forum posts, watching student videos, watching new and old lessons and thinking - I need to spend more time just playing & practicing.

By the way, our son's school has their spring break next week and we will we spending it on Kauai - so, no guitar for a week, but my wife has found some weekly slack key concerts in Hanalei & a ukelele festival in Lihue. Anyone here no more of the music scene on Kauai?

We spent a week in Florida in February and since I wouldn't have a guitar there, I bought a harmonica (Hohner special 20 in G) with the idea of learning the harmonica in a week (not a lot of progress yet.)

Oh, and a lot of people are posting on how difficult it is to just vote for one entry in the guitar concert. I don't think anyone has brought it up yet, but, would it be too tacky to vote for your own entry? (I haven't voted yet.)

waggis

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Just got Little Martha up to speed, but still need to improve the three finger hammer-on pull-off. While in this Open D tuning I've been playing around with a fun tune from Elizabeth Cotten called Vestapol.

sws626

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:43 pm

waggis wrote:
... While in this Open D tuning I've been playing around with a fun tune from Elizabeth Cotten called Vestapol.
Hope you will share this with us when it's ready.

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:37 pm

Well as i've mentioned in my Blog, work is being a real pain at the moment, major reviews, and cost cutting exercises, so thats taking a lot of my attention. Its moving into Autumn here so last chances to get to those jobs that should have been done in summer, dropping below 20 celcius now so need to also stock up on firewood another job I dislike but need to do.

Guitar wise, practising Irish Dance and a Flamenco Rumba, look in to TG most days but don't/can't spend the usual amount of time that I would like to.

MarkM

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:09 pm

Whew.... I thought I was the only one that thought things were slowing up around here. Good job on the thread Tony. Well same story here. I was in Texas last week for work and this week was a 9 on my stress meter. Just got home from my last meeting in soggy Boston. Finally getting over a cold that kicked my A$$ last weekend. Although the kodine laced cough syrup was nice. :) :)

I haven't been playing a whole bunch because of the above reasons. Picked up the guitar a bit yesterday and wanted to do something on the easier side so I was trying to learn the acoustic version of Neil Young's (shocker...) Powderfinger. I think I've got it down pretty well and will hopefully get it up on the site by the end of the weekend. Apart from that I'm messing around with Dust in the Wind (which is coming around), Demo version of Isn't it a Pity, acoustic version of Lennon's Watching the Wheels and now looking forward to digging in to the new Can't Find My Way Home lesson.

That's about it from a soggy evening in NH. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

MarkM

cosmicmechanic

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:33 pm

I am writing this from within a curvature in the space-time continuum that has created a kind of time-warp: it has the same effect on time as a hot dryer has on a damp wool sweater ... so now my time doesn't fit and my use of it sticks out in embarrassing places!

One detail I can share is that I realize it is necessary to play daily and that on workdays I can do that best in the early morning. So I gotta choose between late-night forum lurking or early bedtime ... oh well, a time for every purpose?

I'm holding back on very new tunes, got a good number already started that I want to improve.

Two of the tunes I'm practicing are pretty much opposites: "Streets of London" (Ralph McTell) is, for me, intricate fingerpicking. On the other hand, "Harvest" (Neil Young), which seems to be a simple steady alternating flatpick and strum, is a surprising challenge ... you gotta try it to understand, I guess.

Good thread Tovo ... you have my vote for Mr. Congeniality :)

see all of you around soon

Pierre

AcousticAl

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:30 am

I mentioned this on my wall-- I've been bogged down by taxes and creating a website that will hopefully generate some new work for me.

Taxes are done now, and I get a pretty good refund-- but that's a double edged sword. That means I did a lot less work last year.

Good news is that things seem to be picking up for me, at least for the short term. Thanking my lucky stars that I'm married to a teacher with a steady job. I wouldn't be able to ride the ups & downs of freelance work otherwise.

Al

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic