Hearing Aids

wiley

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:53 am

I'll admit I'm getting old, or at best, "Older". I will be 53 soon and, as such, the old body just doesn't do like it used to do.

After years of abuse, and several Full Body exams, something the wife's company provides, I learned a few years back the ears were not exactly how they should be. I recently (last week) did one of those full-blown hearing exam things and it proved my hearing drops of dramatically at 2,000hz. Not a real big problem, most of what I lack is 'volume' and those beginning sounds when someone 'starts' a word (or sentence).

The wife has one of those 'tax-free' plans where one can install a set amount of money to pay for expected/unexpected Medical cost. This year, my account was set for exactly this, hearing aids.

So, my question is;

How many here already have them? Personally, I 'pick' mine up today, at around noonish (CST). The tech had a set of BTE (Behind the ear) that they allowed me to wear for several hours, and I must admit, it was a big help.

I went with the ITE (In the Ear) type, the mic and amp/speaker are completely in the ear. There is a somewhat learning curve, I did experience an "in the can" sort of thing, especially when speaking. The particular type I purchased are custom-fit (a mold is made and then the plugs are built using the mold) and have larger than normal 'tubes' which are supposed to decrease this 'in the can' sound.

I also wear my 'cans' (headphones) a lot, even with practicing and these are supposed to decrease the chance for 'feedback' since the entire product is enclosed. Perhaps I'll need to go to and 'open air' type of headphone, perhaps not.

Any suggestions/hints/experiences out there?

BigBear

Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Wiley- I'm afraid I'm going to be right there with you. I have a severely depressed frequency from too many gun shots in the woods when I was a kid. And believing that ear protection was for wussies! What an idiot I was!

I'm very interested to learn how you like you your hearing aids. What brand did you get?

Can you keep us posted, expecially how it impacts your music. Or PM me if you feel more comfortable. Thanks so much for sharing this with us because I suspect many of us will be facing the exact same situation. It's just a matter of time.

Cheers! :cheer:

wiley

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:31 pm

Yep, good old 'machoism' - "I don't need no stinkin ear muffs!! It ain't cold out here!

I ran a generator set for several years, 5-1/2 to be exact. Monthly and annual runs, 2 - V16 Detroit Diesel @ 6,000KW output each. Horsepower, it takes 1 hp. to create 747 watts (not to be confused with VA) so one can divide 6,000,000 by 747 and find.....

So what! They wus LOUD!! Not to count all the Rock crushing equipment, Concrete Ready Mix Plants, Construction Equipment, and yes, the old High Powered Rifles and handguns I've blasted away with. Anyone ever have some idiot fire a .44mag inside a vehicle (it was aimed outside!)

Two hours in, already wasted one battery and one 'wax protector'. Left side went dead.

Physically, not bad. I know they are there but less so than I imagined.

Sound wise? My own voice is wi--e-e-r--d! I never knew I had the TV up so loud! And why does my mouse make these funny clicking noises? Is it supposed to? I thought the carpet was wet when I first walked back into the place, maybe I left the sink on? nope! The tub? Nope (ain't Wednesday, so it's not bath day). Maybe the washer overflowed, or the water heater blew a hole. Nope!

WOW! I never knew my shoes made that noise as I walked across this carpet stuff!! Even my bare feet?

It's like having a portable amplifier with me, and one that makes all those high ended sounds (High HZ) come alive. The buds I bought do have multiple settings and I do have them on the 'benchmark' one. Could lower them down, but what the heck.

Name Brand is Interton/DASH. ICI type, mic and amp/speaker are all 'in ear' and the speaker puts the sound directly into the ear canal. Custom fitted.

Now for the guitars.

Seagull S6+CW Folk. Cherry sides and back, solid Cedar top with semi-gloss finish. Strings: D'Addario EJ15 (0.010>.047)

Gibson Starburst Standard. Flamed Maple sides and back. Solid (2 piece) Flamed Maple Top. Strings: D'Addario EJ16 (0,012> .053)Known as a collectors item due to the number of them ever made, they are also known as a 'stage' guitar and not so much for their 'acoustical' side.

*Strings have about the same amount of time on them, the Seagull has more playing time.

Andy started a thread about 'sustain'. I guess the biggest part of that particular configuration would be 'what type' of wood would we use to build this 'virtual' guitar with. All I know so far, due in large to my new ears, is both of these guitars have a bright sound (upper ended). The Gibson is 'mellow', probably due to the Maple wood while the cherry and Cedar do pretty much the same, yet the Seagull is louder in the respect of higher tones. A difference I knew was there, but the new ears make it even more so. Like I said, it's like having portable amp in your head.

Oh yea, need to turn these things down while vacuuming. * I'm retired, so guess what my chores are?

NKenny

Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Wiley

I know the feeling, about two months ago I woke up with ringing in my left ear. Saw the ENT and had a hearing test. Results were what they call SSNL, it is a sudden nerve damage. They do not know what causes it. After medicine did not work received shots directly in the ear, to no avail. I lost the low frequency range only in that ear. If I listen to one of TG's lessons with headphones on, I can hear fine in the right ear. But the left ear only high frequency, no base strings. Hearing aids, I was told, will not help me. I hope they work for you. I have to protect my good ear now so no more loud concerts etc.

I am thankful it is only one ear, the thought of not hearing all the great TG lessons and videos from everyone would be unbearable.

Have great day Kenny

AndyT

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:02 pm

I have some hearing loss as well. And the truly sad thing is that the frequency range I'm shy in is right where my wifes voice falls. Ok, I heard all the jokes already. LOL but its really aggravating when she has to have someone call me from across the room because I can't hear her.

I never considered how hearing aids would affect my music till now. I'm very interested in this as well.

haoli25

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Hmmmmmmm, that gives me an idea......I wonder if there is a market for a "Wife-Notch Filter"? Thanks Andy.
:laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:11 pm

What a bunch old codgers we are! Sorry to hear about the hearing damage guys, it's a pain in the, er , ear! I don't have hearing damage, in fact my hearing is like a 25 year old's.... but I can't hear someone talking across the table in a restaurant when everyone else is talking. We have an open kitchen at home and if someone runs the tap, I can't hear what's being said on the TV. When I had my hearing checked, the doc said my hearing's fine. So I asked, why can't I hear then, sometimes? He told me it was a brain function problem where the signals are just not being separated properly and that it happens to men after the age of about 40 or so. So I said, "so I'm not going deaf then, just stupid!!" You live with it!

haoli25

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

For what its worth, a long time friend of mine (44 years old) has been having severe vision problems. He went from almost 20/20 vision to damn near blind in a period of only about 6 weeks. After many trips to the eye doctors and many scans and exams, they were starting to think he may have a brain tumor that was causing the vision loss. An MRI showed that was not the case. (thank goodness)
One of the doctors at the hospital suggested he go back to his family doctor and have a complete physical. The lab reports on his blood work indicated that he had an extreme Vitamin B deficiency, particularly Vitamin B-6. With proper treatment now, his vision is returning to noraml. His doctor told him that this vitamin deficiency condition may cause visual impairment in some people, while others may suffer from varying degrees of hearing loss.

Go to your doctor and get checked out. I hope your solution will be as easy as taking a vitamin pill.

Bill

smips65

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:36 am

B)

I was born deaf, and had radical reconstuctive surgery in 1969 to "create" hearing in one ear. At that time, the thinking was it would only last until roughly college age.

Now I've got three children, and a grandchild, and it's now starting to fail me. At age almost 50.

I've got the older style behind the ear unit, which I prefer, for several reasons.

The controls are easier to get at.

It's easier to remember that it's there

When the time comes for a shower or a jump in the pool. I couldn't begin to tell the number of horror stories with insurence companies that I've heard with people "forgetting" them in the ear models, just to destroy them by getting wet.

They are easier to clean.

All of them should have some sort of "dial" function to aid in frequency muting/enhancement.

Mine has a large room setting or a quiet setting.

With respect to playing, it's a learning curve. Some guitar frequencies will blur when reproduced by the hearing aid, so if your at a store trying to satisfy that latest GAS infliction, keep in mind it might be the hearing aid that makes some sound "off".

I take mine out, put it back in, to make sure.

You'll get lots of feedback with headphones, and you might damage the unit, they really were'nt designed for that much volume so close.

And keep an extra battery in your wallet, wrapped, and try not to touch both sides of the battery with dirty (oily) fingers when replacing.

The really cool thing about hearing aids, you can turn em off, instant noise reduction, in loud settings, no hearing protection needed. Course the little Misses was on me right away, you got that damn thing on!!! I've been talking to you for 5 minutes... :dry: huh, you were talking to me? thought you were yelling at the kids.... :P

TGMatt

Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:42 am

Just wanted to mention ..

Australia has a company (and we don't have many) called Cochlear which is a true world leader in its ear implant technology..

I don't have any interest in the company as a matter of non disclosure..but their stuff is truly brilliant and may help

Here is a link

http://www.cochlear.com/

and to one of their newer products

http://products.cochlearamericas.com/co ... s-5-system

The ear is an amazing instrument..and as we have one member of our family with this particular unit changing their lives, another one with Tinnitus who used a combination of natural therapy to get a result..we have been a little vested in the whole idea of taking good care of our hearing just like we would with our teeth..

Anyways hope this is useful

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic