Hearing Aids

TGMatt

Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:12 pm

Here is a neat video thought Id share

neverfoundthetime

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:00 pm

Smipes great to hear your story. Born deaf and you still arrive at TG! Being born deaf, I was wondering if there would have been a problem for you with the brain function responsible for the development of hearing? Seems not to have been the case.

Bill, I did have a B12 deficiency last year but I sorted it out. I'm due for a 54'0000 mile service so I'll check things out. :-)

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:03 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
What a bunch old codgers we are!

So I said, "so I'm not going deaf then, just stupid!!" You live with it!
A few of us could have told you that and saved you the Doctors fees...

PS I have tinnitus and its a real pain at times, frustrating more than anything

wiley

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks to everyone for their responses,

Technology is advancing everywhere, so someday perhaps, we can all hear (all of us)among many other things.

Myself, day 2. Physically, after wearing them for a straight 8 hours there began to be some physical discomfort. During that time I did remove them and clean.I also used the lower setting (they are equipped with four settings, a small button on the upper part allows access) to gain some 'relief', Seems Grand Daughters (esp. 5v year olds) can become a bit overpowering.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the new sensations of hearing things anew. Perhaps, for the first time ever. No way to know.

For those interested, I decided on the particular ones I bought for several reasons. First off, we spent most of the day with our Kids and Grand Kids. Only the eldest Son-in-Law has even noticed I had them. As everyone knows I play Poker and (believe it or not) there has been some controversy over hearing aids. Seems in Poker there is controversy with just about everything, same as in life I guess. So, I wanted them to be as discreet as possible.

Secondly, the tech suggested this particular style as to fit my needs. Of course, there are plenty of others that would do the job. Plainly put, I like the idea of having something that's 'out of the way'. Lastly, money (for the most part and thanks to a medical 'savings' program at the wife's office) was not a deciding factor.

Only problem so far has been ear wax build up, and that may or may not continue. Luckily, and by design, they have an "Ear Wax Protector" over the speaker that is easily and quickly changed out. And, cheaply. I'm not sure about cleaning them vs Outside the Ear ones since this is my first go round, but easy enough.

Last but not least, especially in today's world, I'm lucky that the wife has a great health care program. Since she is an Executive, we are privileged to use Doctors and Facilities that should be available to everyone. Every other year we go through a 'full body' checkup which includes, but not limited to, a full body CT scan. Several years ago, they found a tumor (benign) attached to my left adrenal gland. Never would have known it was there, ended up weighing in at around 8lbs. Same can be said about my hearing loss. Sure, everyone told me "Listen up Dude!!" for years, but, that old "Macho" thing got in the way.

So for those of you out there over forty (and actually everyone of you), get those checkups. It may not only change your life, it may just save it.

Last but not least, we are headed out of town for perhaps up to a week. There's a Tourney in Louisiana and the Mother-in-Law wants to go gaming for her birthday (slot player), and the wife has business in the Houston area where a lot of family still resides. Take care, be back soon.

izzyhara

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:12 pm

Well as I am older than all of you put together, I undoubtedly have some hearing loss. Just have never been checked. For me, it's the eyes that are fading.... I need readers for everything but driving. Have already had cataract surgery in both eyes (didn't wear sunglasses as a youth). My husband claims that my voice is in a timbre that he can't hear, but I think that is something else entirely.... I like the B6 idea. I used that vitamin to "cure" myself of carpal tunnel. Wouldn't hurt for all of us to pop that pill everyday, along with our Vitamin D, and whatever other meds we can manage to gather or need. Good and powerful stories under this thread. The younger members are probably laughing at us...

Chasplaya

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:25 pm

izzyhara wrote:
Well as I am older than all of you put together, I undoubtedly have some hearing loss. Just have never been checked. For me, it's the eyes that are fading.... I need readers for everything but driving. Have already had cataract surgery in both eyes (didn't wear sunglasses as a youth). My husband claims that my voice is in a timbre that he can't hear, but I think that is something else entirely.... I like the B6 idea. I used that vitamin to "cure" myself of carpal tunnel. Wouldn't hurt for all of us to pop that pill everyday, along with our Vitamin D, and whatever other meds we can manage to gather or need. Good and powerful stories under this thread. The younger members are probably laughing at us...
A couple of things

We have young members???

Eyesight was my major issue, so I got Lasik surgery about 9yrs ago best thing I ever did worth the $2+K , slight issues when tired and poor light for reading only but mostly its good.

The tinnitus as previously mentioned is more of a frustration so any ideas on natural remedies would be welcomed

No doubt about vitamins helping just don't forego the check ups with your GP, Wiley's story is so true better to find things out and get them fixed.

Chas

wiley

Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:33 pm

I wanted to do this a bit separate.

I don't know how many of you are watching "Food revolution" much less how many of you care. If you care to, watch it and it will awaken you to how and what we feed our kids in Public (and Private) school, if nothing else.

One other thing the annual and semi-full body annual physicals the wife and I have done was the wife's condition. She has a family background of heart failure, female type problems and diabetes. Recently, last year, the Doctors warned her the risk were running very high unless something changes, mainly her weight. She was around eighty pounds overweight. Three years ago they pretty much saved her life when it was discovered she had a tumor on her ovaries.

As for "Food Revolution" it has a lot of truth to it. The things and ways we Americans eat is outrageous. What we will stick in our heads and call 'food' is a joke for the most part. I was raised in the 60s so, steak and taters (when we could afford it).

Now, thanks to those checkups, we both have a large change in how and what we eat. As for supplements, Vitamin C is a huge deal, along with the Vitamin B's and several other vitamins and herbs. Be warned though, certain vitamins can have adverse reactions when taken together and in large quantities as can the 'supplier' (brand name). Also, a given dose (like the RDA) can be way to small (Vitamin C comes to mind, the RDA is just enough to prevent scurvy) and some can be way too much. High doses of even B6 has been known to be fatal.

On thing a lot may not know. Unless stated, the FDA has no control on over-the-counter Supplements. IOW, there is no 'regulation' on them. So, do some research into what you are taking and as to how much you should take. Be wary when some TV Doc says "We have such a great shortage of Vitamin D in our society" and then rush out and buy a bunch and start taking it. Sure, we may have a shortage, yet you, personally, may not.

As for those 'laughing'?

Those who last laugh last, laugh best!

smips65

Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:50 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Smipes great to hear your story. Born deaf and you still arrive at TG! Being born deaf, I was wondering if there would have been a problem for you with the brain function responsible for the development of hearing? Seems not to have been the case.

Bill, I did have a B12 deficiency last year but I sorted it out. I'm due for a 54'0000 mile service so I'll check things out. :-)

It's an interesting journey that I've made, simple but loaded statement.

Being deaf until nearly 6 years of age, taught me many things, not the least of which, was to listen to others very well, along with sight, facial gestures, body language, and so on.

As far as brain development, it was speech that was the hardest, having to learn to articulate the spoken word correctly was a challege.

This medical reality is a big reason I'm here, it's going and will be gone someday, so when the hearing passes, so will the playing. That's why I don't spend a fortune on my instruments, won't be here long enough to justify the cost.

haoli25

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm

The TG Forum is just amazing!!! The wealth of valuable information that is shared here is absolutely incredible. Thanks to all.

Bill

AndyT

Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 pm

We have a large deaf community here and many of them attend church. A few of them formed a band and they play. They have huge amps that drive vibration transducers. Basically a speaker without the cone. They crank them WAAAAAY up and jam. You can feel the music and you can tell when someone misses a change. Its pretty cool. The only real drawback is that your drinks have a habit of dancing off the table.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic