Spammers and CAPTCHAs

tom18

Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:23 am

Matt et al.
Unfortunately it looks like the spammers have discovered Totally Guitars. Hopefully this won't get too out of hand but one way to fight it would be to require anyone posting in the forum to have a valid user account and to be logged in. You could then block spambots from registering on the site by employing a "CAPTCHA" on the registration screen. I'm not at all sure how difficult this would be to implement but TG is a terrific website and I know we'd all hate to see these messages proliferate.
Tom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA

TGMatt

Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

Thx mate

Actually the spammers have been here since day 1 - we just handle them, we already have a version of this , a human must confirm to join TG after sign up link is sent, this does exactly the same thing...what we have right now are some humans, based in India who are joining manually and trying to use TG as a linking or blog platform, we can't stop humans from doing that , only bad them , delete their rubbish immediately and ban their ip...

So if you see that stuff just report it , we will get rid of it, and they move on to an easier target so to speak..

AndyT

Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:46 pm

Everytime I see one I click the "Report to Moderator" link in the lower right corner of the post.

By the way... Who are our Mods? If we had them spaced out across time zones there would always be someone available to delete spammers.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic