Too much of a good thing.

mcfingers

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:18 pm

OK, this hasn't happened to me before but I think I need to stop playing for a few days. I think I am over using my arm and finger muscles. The muscles in my forearm are constantly tight and ache when I play. My finger tips are all a little sore. I have good calluses so it's not that kind of pain. I have been playing every night for 1.5 to 3 hours. I have been rolling through about 7 or eight songs, mostly finger picking, each session. I have been working on Freight Train, These Days (Jackson Browne), Imagine, Let it Be, Halleujah, The Boxer, Streets of London and a couple others. I think it's just muscle fatigue and I need to rest the muscles for a few days. BUT, I don't WANT TO!
Until I became a Target member I didn't play enough to have these problems, but now I am having so much fun and I can see myself improving with all the practice it's hard to stop. Anyone else having this problem? Maybe I need to do some forearm and fingers exercises?
Guitar playing is not for the weak. :laugh:

Steve

Lavallee

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Drink more beer between the practice session :laugh:

Marc

jayswett

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Your list of songs is nearly identical to mine. As for your problems, I can't say I'm having similar issues, thankfully. Glad to hear, though, that you are having nearly as much fun as I am with TG. An incredible website for sure.

haoli25

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:47 pm

Join the club Steve! :laugh: Neil has been giving us quite a workout lately that started with the 'Clapton Tsunami'. I have a few new aches and pains too, but like you, I am having wayyyyyyyy too much fun to stop.

Bill Image

tovo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Steve I reckon play...rest a bit...play some more. Just take more regular breaks to give your muscles a rest but stop? No way. (Unless you have sharp pain, that would be a reason to stop I think)

mcfingers

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Yea, thanks guys, all good advice. I think I am going to have to go with Marc's therapeutic plan for physical therapy. :silly: Why didn't I think of that? It's always the simple answers.....
I'll let you know how it works out.

AndyT

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm

Do some finger stretching exercises.

michelew

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Steve I get it a fair bit. the muscles in my forearms get tight especially on my right arm. For me it is partially because my finger and arm muscles are still developing and because they tend to be tight anyway. Stretching the muscle is part of the answer, but that is hard to do properly by yourself. Besides taking more breaks, I'd suggest going to visit a osteopath or physiotherapist (at least someone that can massage the tightness out and stretch the muscles for you). It's not all fun and games - I find it a bit uncomfortable, but it will do wonders for your arms and stop you from developing an injury. They'll probably give you advice on the things you can do while practising (and before and after) to reduce the tightening.

Good luck.

Michele

Lavallee

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I actually had some problem with my left hand especially because of the Am and the sharp bend of the first 3 fingers, I could feel the pain in my joints. Being 52 , rhumatism is in the neighborhood. It was suggested to me to take some herbal tea for the kidneys and liver from where most of the acidity is generated and ends in the joint. After 3 weeks of that, the pain left completely. No medication (for now).

Marc

michelew

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:28 pm

Marc,

Barley grass powder mixed in a large glass of water is really good for alkalising your body (returning it to its natural pH). I drink it every morning. It is also very nourishing. Taste good too - a bit nutty. It has a very similar effect to wheat grass juice (a super food) without the ghastly taste. I highly recommend it.

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic