Too much of a good thing.

heyjoe

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Hey Steve

Just want to pick up on something you posted:
I have experienced that same thing when I have been away from playing for a little while. When I pick up the guitar a song I was having trouble with just seems to flow from my fingers
Maybe its your brain saying to your hands/wrists to stop playing the guitar for a while, so it can process all the practising you've been doing/all the knowledge you have taken in- sure we all need to work on muscle memory, but maybe your brain is saying "time out, let me get all this new information sorted out and then we can progress"

Just a thought.

I've taken breaks from the guitar over the years, and when I've come back refreshed, I've noticed the difference.

Joe

thereshopeyet

Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks

michelew

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:14 pm

????? - I must be missing something.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:12 pm

michelew wrote:
LIke Izzy, I also do too much mouse work in addition to the guitar. As most of my tension is in my right arm, I've switched to using my left hand for the mouse (at home). And yes I am right handed. It was a little bit strange at first but my brain adjusted, new pathways I assume. I figure it's good for a guitarist to be more ambidextrous.
For the same reason, I've been switching mouse hands about every 3 months for the past 15 years, and I do graphic work, which is quite precise, not just selecting buttons on a screen interface. I'm right-handed, and after a while, I found that I could write legibly with my left hand.

I became a touch-typist at the time because I decided that if I could finger a guitar with both hands, I could do better than "hunt and peck" the computer keys with both index fingers.

I wish it was just as easy to switch the guitar around to spread the wear and tear.

mcfingers

Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:46 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Hey Steve

Just want to pick up on something you posted:
I have experienced that same thing when I have been away from playing for a little while. When I pick up the guitar a song I was having trouble with just seems to flow from my fingers
Maybe its your brain saying to your hands/wrists to stop playing the guitar for a while, so it can process all the practising you've been doing/all the knowledge you have taken in- sure we all need to work on muscle memory, but maybe your brain is saying "time out, let me get all this new information sorted out and then we can progress"

Just a thought.

I've taken breaks from the guitar over the years, and when I've come back refreshed, I've noticed the difference.

Joe
Joe, I think you hit the nail on the head. We should all pay more attention to what our bodies tell us. I think many injuries happen when we don't pay heed to the signals our muscles and joint are sending.

Thanks for your thoughts Joe,
All the best,
Steve

BTW, So I wouldn't be tempted to pick up my guitar today I took our Jack Russell Terrier Bandit for a nice little 8 mile hike. We have a beautiful city park that takes up 3600 acres in the foothills. The path we walked climbs up into the foothills and the path is made up of lava cap mudflow. Not the smoothest stuff to walk on, but it's a good work out and very pretty this time of year. Well, about half way back I noticed that Bandit was walking a little slower and gingerly stepping over the mudflow. He is 10 years old but still looks and acts like a puppy. I think the 8 miles of rocky path had bruised his poor paws. I wound up carrying him over some really rough spots and he was pretty pooped when we got back to the car. Long story longer, :P His heart was willing but his paws were not. I should have been more aware of the the signs he was giving me. He will recover, but I felt a little guilty pushing him to his limit. Which btw has never been found until today. My guess is he will forgive me as soon as his next walk rolls around..... tomorrow. I think we will take it easy though. :lol:

haoli25

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:58 pm

Steve, you might want to give Bandit a drop or two of Crown Royal for those sore muscles. And the 'full adult dosage' probably wouldn't hurt you either. :laugh:

Bill

mcfingers

Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:27 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Steve, you might want to give Bandit a drop or two of Crown Royal for those sore muscles. And the 'full adult dosage' probably wouldn't hurt you either. :laugh:

Bill

Hahahaa, I like the way you think Bill. Great minds think alike. I gave Bandit a baby asprin (81mg) and I soothed my self with a icy cold beer or two. Gotta save the Crown for real emergencies. :laugh:

As I suspected, Bandit was raring to go this morning for his walk. He will not be denied.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic