Too much of a good thing.

Lavallee

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks Michele, I will check it out

Marc

mcfingers

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Wow! All of this super advise and council. A massage therapist for relaxing and stretching, check. Barley grass tonic for restorative ph adjustment, check. More of Marc's beer therapy, Check. I am going to be a lean mean finger picking machine in no time.

Thanks for all the good ideas, I love the holistic, natural approach. There are already too many chemicals in our lives as it is.

All the best,
Steve

Lavallee

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:00 pm

By the way Steve, you seem to have retrieve all of your info from when you vanished.

Good for you

Marc

mcfingers

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Lavallee wrote:
By the way Steve, you seem to have retrieve all of your info from when you vanished.

Good for you

Marc
Yes, Thanks to Matt and Mike and the TG team. I once was lost but now am found, Brother, can you spare a dime?

It's all good.

Steve

BigBear

Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 am

Steve- I've always believed there is nothing natural about playing the guitar. Cupping your wrist and using all small muscles put enormous stress on your tendons and ligaments. I think they just get tired and sore.

I also contend that the dreaded "baseball grip" is a direct result of playing too long and getting tired. The baseball grip is more natural and relaxed so when you get tired you slip back into whatever hurts the least! ANd thus a bad habit is formed!

As terrible as it seems you may just have to take a break. I've been battling a bad head cold and haven't played in a few days so I picked up the guitar tonight and actually played pretty well. I think a break from playing once in a while is very beneficial.

Like they say, play 'til your fingers bleed! lol! :cheer:

izzyhara

Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 am

This is such a cool group with all of their different advice. I have had my forearm ache after playing - of course I go from the guitar to the mouse on my computer, and back again. Not giving those muscles a chance to do something different at times. I am a big proponent of a "rest" day - as hard as it is, it does pay off. When I took my last business trip, I didn't take my guitar as the trip was consumed with work stuff. So I played my songs in my head. Sure enough, when I got home, I could play better, and the soreness was gone. Let us know which other of these remedies you try. I think I am all over the barley grass idea so let me know if you try that one. Great thread. Izzy

unclewalt

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:42 am

Just this week, my left thumb started to hurt -- tendons, I think. In my case, though, it was almost certainly because I was experimenting with medium strings for the first time in many years. So last night, I went to lower the action a little, and one of the strings broke. I didn't have another set, so now I'm stringless, probably until Monday. Maybe it was providence -- I'm forced to rest my thumb entirely for a few days.

You might want to check your action/strings, too. Also, search around on the Web. There might be specific exercises you can do for particular injuries. If you seek a doctor's advice, find one who specialized in repetitive-stress injuries, if you can. Too bad there are (I presume) no docs who specialize in music-related injuries, like sports doctors.

mcfingers

Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Bear, I totally agree with you. I have experienced that same thing when I have been away from playing for a little while. When I pick up the guitar a song I was having trouble with just seems to flow from my fingers. I think this phenomena is common with many repetitive tasks. I don't think we give enough attention to it's effects. Thanks for the insight.

Izzy, I think I am going to give the barley grass powder a try, I will let you know my reactions.

Thanks for the suggestion about the action and strings Walt. I have been playing my new Taylor and I think the action is good. I play both Mediums and lights all the time so I don't think that's the issue. I do get free adjustments for the first year so I will definitely have the neck check within that time.

Thanks to everyone that has taken the time to offer their replies.

Steve

willem

Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:09 pm

For myself i found out that i most succeed when i give it a rest to,,hours of playing(it is fun)it does'nt help me so much,,after a hour i lost concentrat,e my leg is going to sleep (bad position), my back is hurting and so on,now i can give it a rest and pick it a other day,,,much better..no hurtings,,well some,,when i don't practice!!

michelew

Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:52 pm

LIke Izzy, I also do too much mouse work in addition to the guitar. As most of my tension is in my right arm, I've switched to using my left hand for the mouse (at home). And yes I am right handed. It was a little bit strange at first but my brain adjusted, new pathways I assume. I figure it's good for a guitarist to be more ambidextrous.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic