WORSHIP SONGS

willem

Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:25 am

izzyhara wrote:
I love "worship" songs - that is a good way to put it, as all religions have some sort of worship. My singing career (haha) started in church choirs, and I still love hymns. Now if we are supposed to avoid anything religious or political, we should still be able to share these songs because - well someone else said it I think - it is music. The TG guys can tell us if we need to put these in some hidden place. So I was thinking about uploading a "religious" song - does that mean I can't do that? I wasn't going to preach or anything.... In other news, Buddy is really fun because he is all over the place musically. I can really relate to him, because I find such joy in all types of music. Iz
Your right Izzz,Bud is a buddy and has a barn full of music,,

dennisg

Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:24 am

AndyT wrote:
Music is music no matter the words right?
Really, Andy? You actually believe this?

buddy

Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:04 am

Whoa Nellie, hold the horses. :ohmy:

This in no way was intended to be a religios discusion. Please note that I did not say Christian worship songs or any other "religion" in the thread title. This was intended to be a thread where we could share a common love of all types of worship songs that can be played on a guitar. I think if we can let go of our perceptions and predjudices that this could still work out just fine. If we can have a little tolerance for our differences then we don't need to be so segregated on the boards.

I will leave this up to Matt or others as to wether it needs to be a group, but I would prefer that it be more open then that so that others can pariticipate.

Denis, please take your discusion with Andy to your PM's so that this does not become something it was never intended to be, no offense meant with this just don't want to see a holy war on a thread I started.

Thanks,

Bud

sws626

Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 am

If there were a group on gospel and related music, I'd definitely join in. I won't fuel the religious debate, but I do love this music despite not sharing any of its premises and I'm sure it has a place here.

It's a shame that the groups are relatively neglected compared with the activity on the forum and I hear what Buddy is saying about not wanting this to be shuffled off into a corner. But I can also see that it's not everyone's thing. Surely there's no reason why interested people can't participate more actively in the groups than we've done so far.

-Stuart

TGMatt

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:20 am

Best idea all is a combo...

use the groups , for the general stuff, upload any videos of you guys playing in the student channel and a a post here...

Upload the videos to the community that are not your own to share.

Thx all..

Matt

izzyhara

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:15 pm

I don't think I quite understand this compromise.... "upload the videos to the community that are not your own to share" - what does that mean exactly? Sorry - guess I am having a stupid day.

TGMatt

Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:19 pm

You can upload videos/share videos in the community, and share in that group...that way we are not embedding a ton of videos in the forum that may create an issue for some

The videos of folks playing - they just do their normal uplaod into the student channel, and embed into forum..

We will monitor from here..

BigBear

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Here's the basic problem, we are talking about censorship of music lyrics. The chords and notes don't matter. What Child is This and Greensleeves are the same song! In that sense Andy is correct.

There are many song lyrics that I find offensive for their political or social messages. But we step on a very slippery slope when we ban, hide, move, or otherwise limit the ability to post songs because they might offend someone. MOST songs have the ability to offend someone because they are methods of expression. They inherently carry a message from their writer.

Buddy, before you tell Dennis to take his comments to the PM you might want to do a little a little research and get a feel for the history of this site. Dennis is just as entitled to post his comments in the open forum as you are to post a worship video. Wise up.

Dennis and I had a very good discussion behind the scenes last fall when many of us requested some Christmas music. Although Dennis and I may not totally agree on this subject I have a much better understanding of the issues that may give offense to some of our members. And Dennis has become a very good friend because of the respect we have for each other over religious and other isses.

I do not believe that Buddy's song, or any other song with religious connotations, should be shunned to another group or area. ALL songs, unless they contain vulgarity or sexually inappropriate material should, and indeed must, be treated the same.

Think about the effect of shunning certain types of music (I deliberately didn't say "banned") is that songs like Hallelujah or Leonard Cohen's Suzanne would not be conisdered "main stream" because the whole last verse talks about Jesus. Or CCR's Lodi, "Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again...". Where do we draw the line? We can't.

The only rule regarding songs should be what I mentioned above and a healthy dose of common sense. Do not use songs to make a point, proselytize, preach, politicize or for any other reason other than making music for the enjoyment of all.

To those easily offended by certain songs, you are going to have to get a thicker skin and do like I do, just avoid the videos. No different than real life or deciding which TV shows you will watch. No one forced anyone to watch Buddy's video and he was clear that it was a song of worship. If that offends you, don't watch it!

Enough said. Matt, I hope you will reconsider and not start down a path of censorship just because some members don't like the concept. We all need to be more mature and open minded than that.

Now I will climb down off my soapbox and go back to practicing my next voodoo song!

:cheer:

TGMatt

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:07 pm

BigBear wrote:
Here's the basic problem, we are talking about censorship of music lyrics. The chords and notes don't matter. What Child is This and Greensleeves are the same song! In that sense Andy is correct.

There are many song lyrics that I find offensive for their political or social messages. But we step on a very slippery slope when we ban, hide, move, or otherwise limit the ability to post songs because they might offend someone. MOST songs have the ability to offend someone because they are methods of expression. They inherently carry a message from their writer.

Buddy, before you tell Dennis to take his comments to the PM you might want to do a little a little research and get a feel for the history of this site. Dennis is just as entitled to post his comments in the open forum as you are to post a worship video. Wise up.

Dennis and I had a very good discussion behind the scenes last fall when many of us requested some Christmas music. Although Dennis and I may not totally agree on this subject I have a much better understanding of the issues that may give offense to some of our members. And Dennis has become a very good friend because of the respect we have for each other over religious and other isses.

I do not believe that Buddy's song, or any other song with religious connotations, should be shunned to another group or area. ALL songs, unless they contain vulgarity or sexually inappropriate material should, and indeed must, be treated the same.

Think about the effect of shunning certain types of music (I deliberately didn't say "banned") is that songs like Hallelujah or Leonard Cohen's Suzanne would not be conisdered "main stream" because the whole last verse talks about Jesus. Or CCR's Lodi, "Oh Lord, I'm stuck in Lodi again...". Where do we draw the line? We can't.

The only rule regarding songs should be what I mentioned above and a healthy dose of common sense. Do not use songs to make a point, proselytize, preach, politicize or for any other reason other than making music for the enjoyment of all.

To those easily offended by certain songs, you are going to have to get a thicker skin and do like I do, just avoid the videos. No different than real life or deciding which TV shows you will watch. No one forced anyone to watch Buddy's video and he was clear that it was a song of worship. If that offends you, don't watch it!

Enough said. Matt, I hope you will reconsider and not start down a path of censorship just because some members don't like the concept. We all need to be more mature and open minded than that.

Now I will climb down off my soapbox and go back to practicing my next voodoo song!

:cheer:
Bear thx for your thoughts..

So to be really really clear...

At absolutely no point have suggested censorship in regards to this ...

It is truly a simple equation...

Create a group and post youtube and the like videos, comments, lyrics etc , there, and anyone can be directed to this community, that is interested...this is not hiding anything, it open to all who are interested...send people to it from the forum whatever...it can be the biggest most vocal group here for all I care, people can choose to join and participate..simple..

TO recommend a "worship song"...post it in the song voting section, make your case for it with your peeps and with us...so that takes care of that..

This goes for anything else...Metal, Billy Joel, Swiss Horns, Triangle, reverse devil lyrics, whatever...

If a video is an upload of a members efforts, feel free to post it and its lyrics if u like in the forum for comments and also potential feedback from Neil on the playing...

This is the best of all worlds...

Lets not make this something bigger than it needs to be...you have places to go to share..go of an do it, do it with civility, and humour..

We will monitor and adjust as we go...

Thx all

haoli25

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:16 pm

I have always loved WARSHIP songs. How about a TARGET Short on "Sink The Bismark"? :P

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic