The Perfect Day Off

TGNeil

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:29 pm

April 26, 2010

As I sit here on the 1st Anniversary of our launch of the TARGET Program, I have to tell you guys about my short (3-day) break from TotallyGuitars. On Friday April 24, my sister Anne’s birthday by the way, I hopped on a plane to Hawaii, planning to catch a few college softball games. My daughter Rebecca attends school and plays for the University of Hawaii-Hilo Vulcans and they were scheduled to play Brigham Young University-Hawaii on Friday and Saturday in La’ie, on Oahu.

The plan for Friday was pretty hectic, as I had to get up a little earlier than usual and head for the San Jose airport around 7:00 AM. We touched down in Honolulu about 11:00, including a 3-hour time change. I picked up a rental car from Budget and headed across the island to Kane’ohe, looking for Schrader’s Windward Country Inn, where I was spending Friday night. The drive from the airport to the windward side of the island is relatively short but unbelievably beautiful as it crosses the Ko’olau range and drops you into a world completely removed from Waikiki, resorts, and crowds.

I stopped at a little country store to pick up some supplies- cheese, crackers, water, and a little taste of home, Anchor Steam beer. It was a bit hard to find the Anchor Steam, as there were about 10 cases of Bud Light in front of the one six-pack of Anchor. As it was early Friday afternoon, most of the folks in front me were grabbing the Bud Light by the case and calling it a week. The young clerk was surprised at my choice in beer and had to walk around the store to check the price; clearly not even knowing they carried it.

“Must be really good beer”, she said as she rang it up. I mentioned that is always nice to have a little taste of home when one is away from home, and it was a lot cheaper at home as well.

I found my way down the street to Schrader’s, which was pretty rustic and run down, but had a nice view of the bay and old fishpond right outside the lanai. It would be fine for one night solo but probably a bit of a stretch if my wife, Nani had come along.

I unpacked the few things I had brought and headed up the coast for a 2:00 game on the BYU campus. I grabbed a quick plate lunch at the nearby L&L Hawaiian Bar-B-Que and spent the next few hours watching a couple of games and hanging out with other UHH parents.

After the games, I spent a little time with Rebecca but the team had to go back to their hotel in Waikiki and get to study hall. I drove back down the coast ready to call it a day as I wanted to be up early the next morning and start working on the checklist I had been putting together for the only full day I would have before flying home on Sunday.

Here was my chronological to-do list for Saturday-

1. Coffee

2. Catch the sunrise

3. Short hike on a hilly trail

4. Hit the beach for a short swim

5. Breakfast

6. Buy some new shirts

7. Softball (games were at noon)

8. Hang out with Rebecca (she would be released to me after the games)

9. BBQ at cousin Mark’s in Wahiawa

Saturday morning it was very easy to get up early as I was still on California time and ready to go a little before 5:00. I drove in the general direction of town (Kane’ohe) looking for a well-known franchised coffee shop, since my favorite, Peet’s, had not expanded into the islands yet. In most small towns like this it can be tough to find places open before 6:00 but luckily enough I found one near the Windward Mall, and noticed a Macy’s nearby that I might try to return to later as I got to #6 on the list.

Loaded up with a trendy coffee drink, some black coffee to cut it a bit, and a newspaper, I looked for a spot near the beach to watch the sunrise and relax. I was treated to a stunning show as the clouds across the bay combined with the mountains and ocean to put on a fiery display. It was now a little after 6:00 and I was ready to tackle a pretty easy hike up to Waihe’e Falls.

I have to take a moment and mention that most of the research I do on spots to explore in Hawaii is with a series of great guide books from Wizard Publications called Oahu Revealed (or ‘insert island name here’ Revealed). They are great and I heavily recommend their stuff as the only books you will really need.

By 6:30 I was on the trails to Waihe’e Falls, about 1.5 miles with an elevation gain of about 600’. Not quite sure of what to expect, I sent a quick text to Nani just letting her know where I was in case anything unusual happened. I’m sure the message was more confusing than comforting. As it was, I had the entire trail to myself, after a short encounter with a hunter and his dogs right near the beginning.

After about 35 minutes, including a few very steep sections, I made it to the falls, took a few pictures, and generally enjoyed the solitude and peacefulness before starting back down, with the next stop being a beach where I could get into the water.

A few minutes after 8:00 I rolled into Kualoa Beach Park, about 5 miles up the road. I soaked up a bit of the salt water for a while before settling down at a picnic table with the now cold coffee, the newspaper, and a great view of a little islet offshore called Chinaman’s Hat. This also turned out to be a good time to check in with the home front and spend some time catching up with Nani.

An hour or so later I was back at Schrader’s, enjoying some fresh pineapple and papaya. Just below the lanai there was a boat tour leaving, taking other guests for a cruise around the bay. It looked like fun but I figured I’d have to save that for next time as I was on a mission.

I was down to one more thing on the list before the noon softball game so I packed up a few provisions and went back to Macy’s, thinking I needed a few more shirts. I was a bit pressed for time now but managed to grab a couple and get back in the car a little after 11:00, ready to make the 45 minute drive back up the coast to La’ie.

Even though I had just driven this yesterday, it seemed like a completely different ride today, mostly because there were less cars on the road and it was a little earlier. I just found myself daydreaming with the beautiful sights and driving slower and slower…

About 11:40 I pulled into L&L again and ordered a Kalua Pork and Cabbage plate. I headed over to the BYU campus, armed with the plate lunch and a bottle of Anchor Steam, in case of emergency. By noon I was at the field enjoying the lunch with some sparkling water, as they made a pre-game announcement banning alcohol, tobacco, and swearing at the very religious school.

Items #1-#7 accomplished by noon!

Saturday’s double-header was much like Friday’s. BYU wasn’t much of a match for the Vulcans, but a lot of that is a matter of priorities and choice by the respective schools. It was important for Hilo not to let down, as far as seeding into the upcoming NCAA Regional tournament and there were no surprises.

Rebecca and I left the field, and the team, at about 4:30, ready to take a leisurely drive around the island on our way to dinner with my cousin (in-law) Mark in Wahiawa, pretty much the center of the island.

We stopped at La’ie Point, where there were some folks out watching whales on the distant horizon. We spoke with a fellow out there who had been taking pictures with a lens as long as my arm. He had some from yesterday right there on his computer that he shared with all around. This was a completely unexpected bonus to he day.

Rebecca and I sat there for about an hour catching up on the recent events in our lives and much of the family. The tour then continued with a quick stop at a beach house near Kahuku that our family had rented a few times for some small reunions. It was one of those places that is full of memories that we have been lucky enough to return to, which is usually not the case with important spots and events of the past.

We made one more stop at a sacred place on the North Shore, Pu’u a Mahuka Heiau. This was a Hawaiian temple where sacrifices to the gods were made. It is on a hill looking across the valley to Mt. Ka’ala (the highest point on Oahu) and Ka’ena Point (the far western tip of the island), as well as straight down into the Waimea Valley and Bay. This was another incredibly inspirational and serene place.

As we headed back to the car, we got the call from Mark that he was on his way home and we should head there for dinner. Great timing!

The rest of the night was spent with family and friends, enjoying great food and playing a little music. Rebecca got particularly intrigued with some wooden puzzles, which kept her up quite late. I, on the other hand, was ready to call it a night by about 9:00.

It had been about 16 hours since I started the journey on the coffee quest but I almost felt like I had had about a week’s vacation. I guess I would have to say it amounted to the perfect day off.

Sunday I had a little time to sneak in a bit of exploring as I was up early again, although we had to leave for the airport by about 10:00. I drove around town a little before deciding to drive back toward the North Shore and see where the car took me.

Not surprisingly, I ended up at a spot that was always very special to me, Ka’ena Point (well, really just the trailhead this time). This is a legendary spot for the Hawaiians as the last stop your soul makes before entering the spirit world. It is also the place where I took a sunset photo that is on the cover of my album ‘On The Horizon’ in 1996.

I managed to get back to Mark’s in time to grab a little fried rice (made with last night’s leftovers), shower and pack. Rebecca and I were on our way by 10:00 and by 11:00 we were at Stingers, the airport bar, enjoying some nachos, waiting for our respective planes to Hilo and San Jose.

Sunday night around 9:00 Nani picked me up at the airport and asked about the trip. I was having trouble remembering most of it at the time and asked if I could defer till tomorrow when I might have a chance to reconstruct and recreate the events. As of Monday, April 26, 2010 at about noon, this is about the best of my recollection.

Somehow, I think this falls into the ‘you really had to be there’ category. I hope everybody can take time for their own similar adventures every once in a while.

Neil

haoli25

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:51 pm

Great story Neil. I think that was the perfect day off.

I'll admit, I was a little worried, I was afraid you were going to say you fell on the trail and broke one of your hands. WHEW!!!! :P

Bill

MarkM

Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:56 pm

Thanks for sharing Neil. That was a nice little break from my reality at the moment. I could almost taste the coffee and smell the fresh tropical ocean air as the sun came up. Great story.

MarkM

wammer

Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:02 pm

Wow Thanks for sharing...You explainded it so well I feel I too was there...Thanks for the trip.

Well deserved and quality time not so much quanity time spent with your daughter.

Tammy

izzyhara

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Wonderful story. All the elements of a much-earned retreat - water, sunrises, waterfalls, papaya, good coffee, softball and a beer, and family. Thanks much for sharing.... Iz

mcfingers

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:41 pm

Great narrative Neil. I almost felt the trade winds on my face. It's so great to be able to spend time with family, especially when you are separated by great distances. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time.
Steve

jim56

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:52 pm

Welcome home Neil, Glad you made it back safely and you had such a wonderful time with Rebecca. Looking forward to seeing those new shirts. -Jim

AndyT

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:03 pm

I know you needed a break from all things TG and that's great. You described almost a typical day for me. LOL
Next time, let me know you're coming and I'll buy your plate lunch. L&L is good but the shrimp truck in Salt Lake is far better.

BobR

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm

Neil,

Now that's what I call a perfect day off. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I am glad you had the opportunity to get away to see your daughter and other family and to pick up a few new shirts :woohoo:.

Welcome back
Bob

songman52

Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Great narrative, Neil, I really enjoyed it. It was so descriptive, I'm having trouble getting to bed now because of the coffee!

My respite, to see one of my daughters, will be in June when I go to Oregon. Beautiful country up there. Last summer I saw Elvis and Jimi Hendrix, and I hear there's a guitar-playing Bear in the area.

Jerry

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic