string spacing on guitars

smdugu

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Would like to ask a question on the above topic. In some of the videos where right hand finger picking is involved (ie- Buckingham's Never Going Back), I wonder what the string spacing is on the cutaway guitar that Neil is using. Around the sound hole area where finger picking is done, my guitar's string spacing is around 9mm- and I am having some problems with the 3 finger rolling pattern. I'm thinking that my Yamaha FG160 guitar's strings are more tightly spaced than Neil's. Could you let me know what kind of spacing is preferable here? Scot
--

coomba

Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:23 am

G'day Scot
Mate try posting this question on the main forum, Maybe in the General Acoustic Guitar Discussion Thread.
I'm pretty sure you'll get more of a response their.
I can't really help but I'm sure someone over there can.
Cheers
Scott

professor bob

Sat May 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi,

I used to have a Hofner guitar that I bought in a pond shop years ago. It truly was a classical guitar and I never did master it the way I have the electric guitars I bought in the last few years. If you think the strings are too close together I think you should consider switching it aware that your next guitar should be or have a wider neck. It is not worth the frustration struggling to play on tight spaces your fingers cannot master.

TGMatt

Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm

KennyF

Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

Well...

My Martin HD-28 measures 10mm at the bridge, which yields approximately 9mm at the playing area. This feels very normal or "typical" to most acoustics that I've played over the years.

Maybe you just need to give it some time...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic