>> Live Show this Saturday 15th , Noon Pacific time (California) , 3pm Eastern (New York), Etc

cosmicmechanic

Fri May 14, 2010 8:18 pm

This is a simple question that needs extra effort to express in written form.
I hope the following makes some sense.

About deciding which picking fingers and strings to match when fingerpicking:

Example:
In Neil's video lesson for CCR's "Green River", in the intro riff he plucks the higher strings ( G and B ) with his index and middle fingers while his thumb is hitting the bass low E string.

I would have thought that since the thumb is on the very lowest string it would be more efficient and possibly more advanced technique to use the middle and ring fingers for the higher strings since these two fingers then hover directly above the two higher strings when the hand is in a more relaxed, closed position.

In order to use the index and middle fingers as in the video lesson, the hand has to adopt a less relaxed, more open position: the "hinge" between the thumb and the rest of the hand gets more action.

Question:
Is the choice of index and middle fingers (instead of middle and ring fingers) for fingerpicking the high strings in the "Green River" intro riff at all important as far as general technique? Or did Neil choose that approach just to make playing it simpler using fewer picking fingers?

Should the idea of closed or open (relaxed or less relaxed) hand positions get much consideration in matching picking fingers to strings?

Thanks,

Pierre

TGMatt

Fri May 14, 2010 8:19 pm

AndyT

Sat May 15, 2010 3:25 am

I've been working my barres quite a bit lately. The base of my thumb (fretting hand) has become quite sore and if I try and do much of anything with it, it hurts. I think I'm guilty of a bad hand position for my barre chords. Please cover correct hand position for barres again possibly with a closeup to make sure I can see where I might be going wrong. (and other members as well)

heatndude

Sat May 15, 2010 6:34 am

In one of the latest videos you talf about a time signiture for strumming, 1 & 2 &e3&47, whats the e and how do we practice that. Second question is that car the next prize for a video competition or the guitar Matt is holding lol

Mark

izzyhara

Sat May 15, 2010 10:12 am

Ditto this request for a "barre" refresher course. And I am also interested in what the next contest will be. Can't wait to "see" everyone later today.

heyjoe

Sat May 15, 2010 10:54 am

Couple of questions for tonights webinar if possible.

First question is something that was asked before but I 'm not sure was answered.

Is there any chance Neil could do an Acoustic Genius Fingerpicking/fingerstyle set of instructional videos?I'm not sure just watching songs where he's fingerpicking is enough to give us a complete understanding of this area.,

I know Neil has done videos about right hand finger position, but I think a complete set of videos, discussing how to fingerpick in certain styles, how to play bass notes and melodies at the same time would be a great addition to the site. I know a lot of people struggle with this type of playing and its something that would appeal to a lot of people. lessons in Chet Atkins/Jerry Reed style wouldnt hurt either.

Second question is theory based.

Major Scale Patterns, can you please clarify how you work out what they are, and where they start, do they always start on the root note? Does the pattern always have to start on the same string, or can it start on any string- I think they can start on any one. On a major scale, are there 7 different patterns, which can be played all across the neck?

Ok, it was more than one question! sorry, once this is clear I'll get my head about theory more!

Thanks very much

Joe

Music Junkie

Sat May 15, 2010 11:29 am

Chasplaya wrote:
I know there are lessons but its topical again, also a smooth transitions between barre chords seem to be a regular subject amongst members or between barres and open chords
On this topic.....

I have always wanted to play "Night Moves" by Bob Seger. Most of the info I can find show the intro as G F C/G F G.......so on. Can you show how you would make these transitions since the F chord happens so quickly and for such a short time. I go back to this all the time, and it has gotten better, but it is still very difficult for me.... :)

Jason

d_dog

Sat May 15, 2010 11:58 am

I little birdie told me that Matt would play in a dress for a carton of beer? I think we need to vote on the song.

neverfoundthetime

Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 pm

@admin Hi Guys...any special info on the login tonight... last time half of us logged in to the wrong place.....

Lavallee

Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi Chris, the first post of the thread has some instruction.

Is this what you are looking for?
Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic