Multi-Touch Musical “LinnStrument” by Inventor of the drum machine Roger Linn

TGMatt

Mon May 17, 2010 1:01 am

Inventor Roger Linn is famous for creating the drum machine as we know it today, so there’s good reason to be excited about his latest creation; it has just been revealed. It’s a multi-touch surface not all that dissimilar to an iPad. Take a look at the video here to see for yourself.

The instrument — which Linn calls the “LinnStrument” — can take input from all of your fingers, so you can form chords in addition to sounding individual notes. Each space is pressure sensitive to allow for maximum range of expression. Sliding your finger vertically adjusts the timbre while horizontal motions change the pitch.

The final product would take the best elements from the layouts of the piano (chromatic increments) and the guitar (“parallel rows of semitones offset by fourths”). It will look a little different from the prototype, and it’ll be wearable vertically over your torso. You could also just leave it on the table like this prototype, though.

AndyT

Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 am

Very interesting. I'm sure it will be a popular item with many people.

I think that electronic instruments will have a place, but analog instruments (stuff you have to actually play, guitar, piano, horns...) will always appeal to a select group of people willing to spend the time it takes to learn and master them.

wrench

Mon May 17, 2010 8:15 am

Seems like we're entering a new age of electronica. Yamaha has also introduced a new device called Tenori-On, that looks similar, but is multi-track and programmed instead of played in real time.

The Linn-strument is pretty interesting in the respect that it takes the linear keyboard and makes it two-dimensional, like a guitar, and just like Neil explained in Acoustic Genius.

Maybe the next installment of Acoustic Genius will be "Soldering 101". I agree with Andy. Acoustic instruments are timeless, and I think they will always be in the demand of music purists. Electronic instruments become the dated victims of electronic evolution.

haoli25

Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but lets see old Roger play a barre chord. :)

willem

Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 am

That is really fab,,and now i'm sure the aliens are here!!!

d_dog

Mon May 17, 2010 12:41 pm

The technology is cool yes, but until someone devises a form factor and or shape of the device or surface it won't really be practical. I think if someone could take this touch and pressure sensitive capabilities and put it onto the keys of a keyboard, you might really have something there. I know that most keyboards and high end workstations have touch sensitive and velocity sensitive capabilities, but incorporating the characteristics of what he's doing right on the keys themselves would really be something.

thereshopeyet

Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic