Lyrics. What they really meant when they wrote them.

AcousticAl

Sun May 23, 2010 8:34 am

Another one from me. Andy's post in the Driving Songs thread made me think of this...

Songs can have different meanings to different people. They project their life experiences onto the lyrics and make it apply to them. I find it interesting when I hear what an artist actually meant when they wrote a song. An example for me is Peter Frampton's "Do You Feel Like I Do"? I just heard on the radio that he wrote it about being EXTREMELY hung over!! Do you feel like I do?!

Any others you can think of?

BTW- this is a GREAT live version of the song- even though the 10 people in the audience are asleep (or hung over!!) B)

dennisg

Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 am

Interesting topic. Coincidentally, I just finished a book called "A hard day's write" which details the background for every Beatles song. I'd always assumed that "Got to get you into my life" was inspired by Jane Asher, Paul's babe for many of his Beatle years. But he says he wrote the song about marijuana (I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find therrrrrrre. Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind therrrrre.). It's interesting now, when I hear the song, to put it into that context.

AcousticAl

Sun May 23, 2010 8:49 am

Another one for me would be 'Blackbird'. Neil gave a great explanation of the song's meaning in the preview section of the lesson.

Music Junkie

Sun May 23, 2010 11:58 am

dennisg wrote:
Interesting topic. Coincidentally, I just finished a book called "A hard day's write" which details the background for every Beatles song. I'd always assumed that "Got to get you into my life" was inspired by Jane Asher, Paul's babe for many of his Beatle years. But he says he wrote the song about marijuana (I was alone, I took a ride, I didn't know what I would find therrrrrrre. Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind therrrrre.). It's interesting now, when I hear the song, to put it into that context.
Interesting little tidbit of info there Dennis. It is amazing how many songs out there are about pot or other drugs of the day back then. What makes so many of them good, is that you can apply them to other things besides the drugs and the meaning is just as strong. Part of what makes music so great in my opinion. Can mean just about anything to anyone, depending on their state of mind (altered or not...lol).

J

willem

Sun May 23, 2010 2:16 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
Another one for me would be 'Blackbird'. Neil gave a great explanation of the song's meaning in the preview section of the lesson.

What Neil told was me told to,,civil rights,and that the music idea is come out the Bouree from Bach,,,what i find intresting is that he or they find the word Blackbird,,for me is every bird a symbol for freedom.. and i think Ringo is ticking the tick,,,

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 23, 2010 2:38 pm

..... you mean Puff the Magic Dragon isn't about pot?! ;-)

willem

Sun May 23, 2010 2:46 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
..... you mean Puff the Magic Dragon isn't about pot?! ;-)
potverdorie..(dutch),,Chris,,,its puff not st....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic