Stop with the horse and buggys already .....

TGMatt

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am

I just drove from Scottsdale Arizona to San Diego..

I decided to listen to music like Dire Straits Telegraph road ,feeling a touch nostalgic (lie version of course), and punched it into my Pandora AP, on my iPad , which is now running through my car, it is using an algorithm to decide what else I may like after Mark finishes his masterpiece and depending on how I vote the next few up or down, it will adjust the next tune..

I am using the Ipad to also help double up on navigation duties, as my Iphone is tied up with phone, texting and social media duties..

I check into an area looking for food, spot a sunset , snap a photo and post that immediately to my social media network , I then use my phone to also tap into Yelp and see if their are any good reviews for the food I am about to try ..when I realise that there are no other food joints for 30 miles other than a nudist centre...which also has a restaurant, I make the snap decision to eat with my clothes on...venture inside..

I use the 4 different geo location checkin software aps I am split testing to check in, see if there are any specials, or recommendations..and/or warnings..also collecting rewards on teh way I can redeem for food and drinks..when I realize how bad the food is, I post my own review so that any one else who arrives runs and goes hungry for anotehr 40 minutes ( don't worry you will live ..but only if you leave)

I then reply to a few comments on facebook via the phone, download the hotels.com app on to the ipad, and search for a hotel that both rates highly by visitors and also has more than 3 stars..set my nav again, set the ipad to pandora and plug in Supertramp bloody well right and away I go, curious as to what it's algorithm will serve next ..

when I get closer to the city I check Yelp again to confirm the hotel...book through hotels.com so that I aggregate some more free nights (I use them at the expensive places and for upgrades), snap another photo and post automatically to facebook with some comments..

whilst driving I get some notifications from the forum here and also from my social network giving me a status update..one of my friends is on holiday in Cancun and just checked in..

I respond to a couple of PM's in this forum, then fire up Skype on my iphone and have a discussion with my programmer in the Ukraine..

Now I could have pulled over at a vista grabbed my foldaway full size guitar , my ipad and watched a lesson or two on the site whilst watching the sun go down..but decided to push on through as I fancied streaming a movie through net flix instead..

This is a real day...this is what is real....it is here now...use it, try it..it doesn't bite..and oh man does it open up possibilities...

Join the revolution.

Telegraph Road lyrics

A long time ago came a man on a track
walking thirty miles with a pack on his back
and he put down his load where he thought it was the best
made a home in the wilderness
he built a cabin and a winter store
and he ploughed up the ground by the cold lake shore
and the other travellers came riding down the track
and they never went further, no, they never went back
then came the churches then came the schools
then came the lawyers then came the rules
then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
and the dirty old track was the telegraph road
Then came the mines - then came the ore
then there was the hard times then there was a war
telegraph sang a song about the world outside
telegraph road got so deep and so wide
like a rolling river. . .
And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
people driving home from the factories
there's six lanes of traffic
three lanes moving slow. . .
I used to like to go to work but they shut it down
I got a right to go to work but there's no work here to be found
yes and they say we're gonna have to pay what's owed
we're gonna have to reap from some seed that's been sowed
and the birds up on the wires and the telegraph poles
they can always fly away from this rain and this cold
you can hear them singing out their telegraph code
all the way down the telegraph road
You know I'd sooner forget but I remember those nights
when life was just a bet on a race between the lights
you had your head on my shoulder you had your hand in my hair
now you act a little colder like you don't seem to care
but believe in me baby and I'll take you away
from out of this darkness and into the day
from these rivers of headlights these rivers of rain
from the anger that lives on the streets with these names
'cos I've run every red light on memory lane
I've seen desperation explode into flames
and I don't want to see it again. . .
>From all of these signs saying sorry but we're closed
all the way down the telegraph road

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:38 am

Matt, you get the GEEK OF THE CENTURY AWARD from me. I have a good friend who is a real Gadget-Man but I know of no one else so far ahead on the technology curve as you are. Love watching you surf the newest and highest waves. A pm or post from you is like a blitz education on Technology Today. And I know that you are not just talking about it... anyone who has chatted with you an the TG chat and has been simultaneously bombarded by links and references from here there and everywhere that you've sent while chatting, will know what I'm talking about! Mind-opening stuff!!

willem

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:19 am

Matt,,i understand compleet, without all of the gadgets you feel very nude,,

tom18

Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 am

-- .- - - --..-- .- -- .- --.. .. -. --. .- -. -.. - --- - .... .. -. -.- -- -.-- ..-. .- - .... . .-. -... . --. .- -. .... .. ... -.-. .- .-. . . .-. .- ... .- - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... --- .--. . .-. .- - --- .-. - --- --

Chasplaya

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:30 pm

tom18 wrote:
-- .- - - --..-- .- -- .- --.. .. -. --. .- -. -.. - --- - .... .. -. -.- -- -.-- ..-. .- - .... . .-. -... . --. .- -. .... .. ... -.-. .- .-. . . .-. .- ... .- - . .-.. . --. .-. .- .--. .... --- .--. . .-. .- - --- .-. - --- --
Um braille or morse code?

TGMatt

Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:57 pm

tom18 wrote:
:laugh:

TGMatt

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:00 pm

TO be fair to the real engineers on here, I am no true geek...I am an early adopter, a marketer, who embraces, tests , retest and then decides what is useful both personally in business..then I try and figure out as early as I can how I can use this in business..and what the masses and market are likely to do..so to the real coders and keyboard jockeys out there, I salute you...

If I had the chance to have the kind of backing and team that say any of the valley startups that I work with had..even say 4-5 technologists, boy would we have some interesting times on TG technology wise, so much I would like to do, to truly transform this genre..all in my head for now, with teh occasional transfer of a muted version here..

RicksPick

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Here Here
Where would we be without them.

haoli25

Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Its good to be the King! :) Image

tom18

Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
tom18 wrote:
Um braille or morse code?
Chas,
Correct, Morse code. It was inspired by Matt's choice of 'Telegraph Road.' My father was a telegraph operator for a local railroad when he started working around 1940. It was a pretty important skill back then. I've actually gotten him comfortable with Email & Skype lately, although I can't say it was easy.
We (mankind here) have come a long way in a rather short period indeed.
Tom

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic