>>Irig for Iphone - check this gadget out

TGMatt

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:58 am

Thx to techcrunch ...here is a gadget I want you all to see..link to original article at bottom ..

Anybody out there remember the Rockman? It was this little personal guitar amplifier, about the size of a Sony Walkman (adding “man” to anything portable was all the rage in the 80s, you know).The Rockman let you play distorted guitar through headphones and it curiously made everything you played sound like BOSTON.

The AmpliTube iRig combo for the iPhone is kind of like the Rockman except WAY cooler. WAY, WAY, WAY cooler. We first told you about it a couple of weeks ago. I finally got my hands on one and while it’s been reviewed once or twice since that time, I thought I’d give you my view on it anyway since it ships this week – July 6 to be exact.

First lets talk about the iRig dongle. What is it? The iRig is a special connector that has an input for a 1/4 mono guitar cord as well as a headphone output jack. It showed up in the mail a few days ago and I was immediately impressed by the solidness of it. It’s still plastic, but the cable cover and coupling are pretty solid. It feels like you could pull on it pretty hard, or it could get ripped out of the iPhone many times and would not be damaged. That’s pretty much all it does; it connects the instrument to the iPhone.

AmpliTube is the amplifier modeling software that runs on the iPhone. It looks and sounds as good as you could expect for something this small and portable. The interface design is pretty great. Seeing all the stomp-boxes on your iPhone screen, complete with working LEDs and tactile knobs and controls, is a fun and natural way to conceptualize the effects. The tones they produce are pretty realistic too. Heck, just having a guitar tuner on board is a nice feature to note.

The software also lets you transfer songs to the app over wifi from any host computer on that wifi network. Once you transfer a song over, you can play along or set sections to loop. The loop triggering is pretty intuitive and works well.

Come to think of it, if I had to sum up the AmpliTube iRig combo in one word, that would be the word I would choose – intuitive. You don’t have to read one instruction manual or download a single PDF to figure out how to use AmpliTube for iPhone. Just plug your guitar or bass in and start fiddling with it. In no time you will have some serious guitar fuzz flowing past your little eardrums.

To get a sense of how this thing works and sounds in a real situation, I recorded some of its tones and compiled them into the video below (just skip to the middle, if you want to hear the effects only and not my commentary).

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/03/irig-l ... t=FaceBook

pigpenz

Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:06 am

nice review
I guess what Jimi Hendrix said was true, he plays the amp not the guitar.

heatndude

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 am

This is cool gadget, I have the Ipad with the amplitube app. and the irig to go with it. It works great ! I even plug it into my amp to use the effects and there are a lot of effects. I have been trying to figure out how to record it so the community can see / hear it but I dont have a good mic so the sound is all bad when I try. It is easy to use, easy to carry around and with headphones I dont bother my wife a all, even the dog still stays in the same room. If you have a iphone or ipad this is almost a must to own. Just make sure you follow the set up directions or it will scream at you !

Mark

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic