>> New TG LIve show - (date to be announced) - Question thread..

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Acoustic Genius Series - Video Pentatonic Scales I
http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-ho ... terns#song

Neil you explain that the Relative Minor Pentatonic scale note numbering is taken from the major scale.
Giving notes 1 2 3 5 and 6. (missing half steps 4 and 7)

Is it correct to take the relative minor scale and number it from 1 to 7
and eliminate the half steps 2 and 6?

E....F#....G....A....B....C....D

Giving the same notes - E G A B D

Am I be overlooking something thinking like this?

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

thereshopeyet

Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:46 pm

To Quote AndyT

Neil,
Quite a while back you indicated in one of your videos that you feel the CAGED system is 'Limiting' and you had a different system which you feel is better. I, and I'm sure others as well, are still waiting for you to elaborate on this. So, please explain your system. (If time is short, PLEASE answer this after the show and post as an add-on to it)
I would be interested in your response to this question too Neil :)
Advantages / Disadvantages /Limitations of The Caged System and your system details.

PS
There seems to be to many questions for one or even two live shows.

Suggestion 1
Rather than very brief answers to questions you think would warrant a more detailed response to answer the question properly..... maybe you would consider providing a video lesson for that question.

Suggestion 2
During the live shows, if the questions are answered in top down order.
Any unanswered questions at the end of the live show could simply be carried forward to the next TGLive and answered in order..... keeping this question forum as an ongoing question forum for future TG Lives rather than creating a new question forum for each TG Live Show.

Lavallee

Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:01 am

Is there a possibility to have a lesson on how to read rhythm (Up stroke and down stroke) from standard notation? I can read the basics but I am puzzled when it gets too busy on the staff.

Marc

haoli25

Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:12 pm

My question for Neil is a simple one; If change is inevitable, How has your teaching style changed over the years?

Bill

jim56

Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:24 pm

In regard to scale degrees;

Is it more convenient to think in terms of scale degrees rather than the actual notes because the note names change with the keys while the scale degrees are always the same since they simply describe a position of a note within a scale?

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 pm

Wild World - Cat Stevens Video Lesson

Question
There is one statement that TGNeil makes during Wild World Part 2 theory at 2.08 mins in... he says.... "
D7 acting as 5 of 5
"

What does he mean by 5 of 5?

Fuller Quote

In the terms of the key of G, the Am will be acting as 6, D7 acting as 5 of five, going to D7 to G, which is our real dominant chord, followed by C. A real nice thing to do here is to use CMajor7 rather than C, partly because the note he is singing makes it a Major 7th there. That C is then followed by the subdominant chord F.
Thanks

TheresHopeYet

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Hello Neil

I have been trying to work out how to pick out the melody to Hey Jude while strumming.

You make it sound so good at the beginning of the video lesson.

I have watched the video lesson many times but can't figure the strum and pick co-ordination technique.

My problems are:-
Strumming hands stops - because I don't understand the strum pattern to use.
Strumming hand stops - because I'm thinking about picking the melody notes.

Can you play Hey Jude picking out the melody and strumming while:-
First Play through - Narating the left hand as you play
Second Play through - Narating the right hand as you play.

And explain how to practice keeping it going?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:01 am

Neil/Matt:

I know you said that you guys had something in the works for showing how Neil breaks down the songs he chooses for lessons. On that topic, can you go discuss a little bit about how you present ear training to your students? Do you use solfege? If so, to what extent? What are some good exercises and tools that one could use to get a better grasp on this.

On a side note, I have been told that I should learn what a One to a Four or a One to a Five sounds like (as an example). To me, a One up to a Five sounds different than a One down to a Five. I can't get the whole higher/lower thing out of my dense brain....lol

Thanks,

Jason

michelew

Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:08 am

I'd like some advice on the finer points of moving between barre chords:

1. When moving from and E shape(s) to an Am shape is it best to move you index finger down to the 5th string, or leave it barre-ing across the neck? I find I get a crisper sound on the bass note when I move the tip of my index finger down to the 5th, but it isn't as fast when moving back to the E shape(s). For example, in 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

2. is the best place for your thumb when doing barre chords? A poll of TG members suggests 'behind the barre - or close to it', is this correct?

3. Any other advice for getting crisp notes on all strings when barre-ing welcome.

Number 1 is my preferred question if time is short.

Thanks

Michele

jayswett

Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:40 am

wa8ars wrote:
This is posted in the forum also, but is there a chance we can see more "behind the scenes) like Hallelujah...Its nice to see how Neil goes about figuring out a song!!
Thanks
I agree that the "thinking aloud" videos, particularly Hallelujah, are very interesting and useful. I, too, would love to see more of those.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic