>> New TG LIve show - (date to be announced) - Question thread..

jayswett

Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:17 am

Hesser's version of Never Going Back Again has interested several of us, and it would seem that many of us are currently or in the recent past have tried to learn that song. Could Neil comment on or pehaps demonstrate the bridge that Mr. Buckingham plays in that song? Bill posted a link to the song in Hesser's video thread. It would be great to be able to play Never Going Back Again completely.

wa8ars

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:00 am

This is posted in the forum also, but is there a chance we can see more "behind the scenes) like Hallelujah...Its nice to see how Neil goes about figuring out a song!!
Thanks

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:19 pm

I watched the Yellow Submarine video with respect to picking out melody notes.
I want to better understand the process of picking out the melody notes.

Question

Sorry if this question sounds silly.

Is there a general rule of thumb to follow when picking out the melody notes.......... For example if I have a songs "chord progression", would I be just be looking to pick out one melody note per chord change, or is it more involved than that.

I would like to be able to reason out the process.
Following the Yellow Submarine video.... I can see what you are doing.... but don't quite understand how to think it through.

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

thereshopeyet

Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I have just watched Chord Construction Part 9: Ninth Chords - Acoustic Genius Series

At the very end Neil summarises the video explaining that once an understanding of chord names is reached it helps in the fingering of a chord.

I now understand most chord names but noticed in GPro 5 Chord Creator they use names I haven't seen.

EMajor7 is written as E7M
Is this correct naming as I though E7 to be a different chord than EMajor7?

Should it be EM7

The GP5 software Chord naming convention and other internet chord sources haave thrown my understanding a little!

Can Neil explain generally the Chord Naming Convention which prevents naming ambiguity.

Please Summarise Chord Naming In a logical Way
Major
Minor
Diminished
Augmented
7th
The use of the + (plus) and - (minus) sign
The placement of lower and upper case m's ... m = minor and M being major.

Thanks in advance

TheresHopeYet

thereshopeyet

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:00 pm

I have another question for Neil if there's time.

I have been learning from the Major / Minor Scales and Patterns videos and want to put what I've learned to practice.

At the very end of Neil Young's Heart of Gold video you mention that if you don't have a harmonica, you can mess about in
the Key of E minor for the harmonica part

Question 1
Can you.... explain / demonstate....how I would go about
learning to correctly mess around in the key of E Minor in Heart of Gold.

Question 2
Acoustic Genius Series - At the very end of ....Part 5 Minor Scales Videos, after talking about G Major...you mention "I'll go back to the minor scale now"... you then start to talk about the harmonic minor....

So when an individual discusses minor scales.... do they need to mention wether its natural, harmonic or melodic.... is it just assumed when minor is discussed you will hear the difference?

Thanks

TheresHopeYet

BigBear

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:26 pm

For Neil- following up my poll question regarding how many hours per week do you practice. How many hours did you spend practicing in your younger years when you were mastering your craft? And how many hours per week do you practice now to maintain your current skills?

Thanks!

NKenny

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:03 am

How to develop Rhythm. I was trying Stings Field of Gold and can not seem to keep the rhythm. Each time I seem to just stop. Is rhythm something that one just has and others do not? Some songs it seems I can do with out much of a problem others I cant do at all. I know a metronome can help, but are there other tips to developing rhythm for those of us who cant walk and chew gum at the same time.

Love TG Kenny

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 am

I'd like to know what the things were that Neil had difficulty with or found particularly challenging in his early learning years... or even now, if that's imaginable?!

tovo

Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:13 pm

Specific question on a chord fingering.

I'm talking about the F#maj7. After forming the barre, I find it comfortable to then put a mini barre on the 3rd and 4th string/3rd fret with my 2nd finger and use the 3rd finger on the 5th string/4th fret, so I am not using my pinky at all.

Is there any reason not to do that? In the tune I am working on the next chord is F#6 and I have no trouble making a smooth transition to it, so any drawbacks with fingering the chord as described?

Thanks Neil.

AndyT

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:33 am

Neil,
Quite a while back you indicated in one of your videos that you feel the CAGED system is 'Limiting' and you had a different system which you feel is better. I, and I'm sure others as well, are still waiting for you to elaborate on this. So, please explain your system. (If time is short, PLEASE answer this after the show and post as an add-on to it)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic