Should you get an ipad for TG? (I just did :)

AcousticAl

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:25 am

I posted a question/discussion about whether I should get an ipad for TG Lessons in the 'TG Techies' Group. Thanks to those that responded, and at Matt's suggestion I'm continuing the discussion here...

Those that know me know I'm terrible at delaying gratification-- I now own one! I went out to investigate them and was just blown away by what they can do. Bought it on the spot. 64gig 3G version. Go big or go home, eh? (To those that don't know, there's two versions you can get-- a wifi and a 3G version. Wifi will only let you surf when you can tap into a wifi you have access to-- like your home wifi. The 3G version lets you surf anywhere, anytime-- but of course you gotta pay monthly for that.)

I think I'm the perfect market for them (me and soccer moms, I guess). I've had very little exposure to macs in the past. Have always been a pc guy-- currently have one desktop and 3 laptops. But the ipad is something different. Sleek, powerful, easy to navigate, intuitive, LOADS of applications.

I'm going on a trip out west in a few days and saw how it would come in handy. itunes for the hotel room, gps for walking or driving, games and videos for my daughter, internet for surfing, apps for finding attractions, blah blah. Now I'm not about to get rid of all my PCs-- but I can say I do see what the fuss is about. It's just different.

As far as TG and ipads go- I haven't had a chance to really use it for that yet-- will keep you posted.

BTW- I'd like to try to keep this thread info-based. Try not to let the mac vs. pc vibe creep in here, ok?

dennisg

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:43 am

Congratulations, Al. I took my iPad to London with me on a recent vacation. Aside from making the plane trip bearable, I found dozens of other uses for it -- like finding great restaurants, locating historical sites, reading about art before going to the museums, etc. What a wonderful little piece of technology it is. Enjoy!

AcousticAl

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 am

dennisg wrote:
Congratulations, Al. I took my iPad to London with me on a recent vacation. Aside from making the plane trip bearable, I found dozens of other uses for it -- like finding great restaurants, locating historical sites, reading about art before going to the museums, etc. What a wonderful little piece of technology it is. Enjoy!

I heard you had one, Dennis. One thing I noticed was that while it is sleek and clean-- there's no way to view it if you're not actually holding it. Do they make any sort of stands for them? I'm picturing trying to watch one of Neil's lessons on it.

Music Junkie

Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 am

AcousticAl wrote:
One thing I noticed was that while it is sleek and clean-- there's no way to view it if you're not actually holding it. Do they make any sort of stands for them? I'm picturing trying to watch one of Neil's lessons on it.
Al:

A friend of mine has one and she uses a plate holder for a stand. Sounds kind of silly, but it works great. It sits right in there and has just enough tilt to make it steady, but not too much to make it hard to view. I imagine it would be good for viewing the lessons.

I have been eying them as well, but I am not too sure about carrying them around with me. Still a bit on the big side for my liking (at least as far as traveling goes). They are a great size for messing around with, just would not want to carry it around while walking around on a vacation.

J

mcfingers

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:22 am

Al, this all sounds very cool. I have been a gadget guy like you for ever. My gratification threshold is about as low as yours, usually.

I did a Google search and it seems that Amazon has a bunch of different iPad stands to choose from, so take a look.

Thanks for the report on your new piece of tech.

Steve

willem

Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:59 am

I love to see the reports/

TGMatt

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:41 pm

I have a leather case made by incase..

This folds up and turns into a stand as well...best I have seen so far, had to wait 3 weeks as they had sold out.

tovo

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:17 pm

TGMatt wrote:
I have a leather case made by incase..

This folds up and turns into a stand as well...best I have seen so far, had to wait 3 weeks as they had sold out.
I think the incase option is very good as it has a duel purpose, protecting the device and doubles as a stand. Very nice. There are at least 2 other stands, no doubt more.

Al I followed you with faith into the world of silent guitars...The iPad is calling me.

willem

Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:32 pm

I wonder when they arive in the Netherlands??

dennisg

Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
dennisg wrote:

I heard you had one, Dennis. One thing I noticed was that while it is sleek and clean-- there's no way to view it if you're not actually holding it. Do they make any sort of stands for them? I'm picturing trying to watch one of Neil's lessons on it.
Yes, several companies make stands for it, but you can also put it on a music stand. That's about as convenient as it gets.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic