What's your favorite Web Radio Station?

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:05 am

I recently discovered "RadioJive.com", a station that continually surprises.

If you have had it up to here with the usual, this station plays music that is off the beaten track. It is in the image of it's founder, "Live Earl Jive", a very unconventional, legendary DJ here in Canada that I had lost track of since the '80s. Seems he now runs this web radio from Hollywood.

You never know what to expect next on this station: space opera from the psychedelic era, ukulele music hall from the 30s, rocking or easy listening tunes you'll never hear anywhere else, name it. One slogan is: "From inside the darkest corners of your mind: this is RadioJive".

I haven't noticed any real commercials on it yet, excepting fake news reports from theonion.com ("Homeless scientists announce development of the Hobotron").

Worth giving a good long listen. How about you, got any pearls to share?

dennisg

Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 am

I've been a long-time listener of Radio Paradise, an eclectic rock station that just plays great music from pretty much anyone in rock history. In fact, I've bought many CDs and albums on iTunes after first hearing people on RadioParadise.com. The station seems to be run by a husband and wife team, and I send them some money every year to help support their continued success. It's commercial-free and relies solely on the generosity of its listeners.

BigBear

Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:11 pm

I like Slacker and then closely followed by Pandora. I like picking an artist and then hearing songs of the same genre. I've discovered some really cool music from bands I've never heard of.

I worked out on a very isolated construction site for almost two years and these stations made my project trailer much more enjoyable.

Great question by the way!! :cheer:

Catman

Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:02 pm

I listen on Live365. At the moment I switch between several stations:

[ol][li]aTTeNTioN sPaN raDiO 1 (mixture of Jazz, Funk, and Rock)[/li]
[li]Baroque 24/7 (Classical)[/li]
[li]Station60s70s[/li]
[li]Electric Blues Radio[/li]
[li]Genesis, ELP, Yes and Friends[/li][/ol]

Edit:

I like Pandora, but as I'm outside the U.S., I can't access it.

Hydroman52

Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:14 am

Unsure if all these qualify as streaming radio stations. Most of the time I like to pick and choose the songs I listen to, while others I let play whatever they decide to queue up. I listen to:

wolfgangsvault.com (lots of old live concerts you can listen to here . . . really cool)

daytrotter.com (live studio performances from The Horseshack in downtown Rock Island, Ill . . . “one band a day, every day”)

kexp.org (90.3 FM in Seattle “where the music matters” . . . . sometimes it gets a bit wild for my taste but the archived live performances can be fun)

wpr.org/webcasting/live.cfm (Wisconsin Public Radio for what’s happening locally)

npr.org (National Public Radio for what’s happening in the nation and the world)

npr.org/music/?sc=re&cc=nprmusic (National Public Radio music site – lots of good stuff here, not really a streaming site, but worth mentioning)

bbc.co.uk/worldservice/ (what can I say . . . . it’s the BBC)

last.fm (similar to Pandora)

pandora.com (similar to last.fm)

Hydroman52 (this one’s not a station, it’s just me)

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks for the tip Cosmic... I'm listening now to RadioJive. Really Cool!
I picked up on Dennis' tip a while back too... didn't realise they were a small team. Well worth supporting. Good tips guys!

Edit:
Now playing: Can't find my way home.
Just caught my first onion news: OMG! :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic