>>Poll inside - Will Neil ever do a Tom Petty song ?

pbraun

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I voted yes, I have to say I have watched the little video clip several times of Neil trying to introduce a TP song and it just cracks me up. Before one does get posted I would realy like the whole story though!
Come on Neil!
Pete

Music Junkie

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 pm

I hope so. There are several that I enjoy, being a big fan of his music. As Mark mentioned above, he is a big influence on my generation. I have all of his albums, and all present some good choices of songs. I went to a few of his concerts some years ago, and all were fantastic performances. Would be very interesting to finally get to the bottom of all the dancing around on the subject as well.... :) :)

J

lueders

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:14 pm

I voted yes, because I think Neil decided upon a Petty song with a little more technical merit. I have a stinking suspicion however,there is more to the story; i.e some Petty related inside-joke in the T.G. cosmos I am unaware of. I gotta admit I am real curious what that might be!

If there is any animosity towards Petty I don't get it. I have sensed Neil isn't too keen on him; nor much of Dylan's stuff for that matter. I don't find T.P's songs anymore trite or generic than about a ga-zillion, songs of other artists I could name. What the heck... here's a few: John Cougar Mellencamp, a lot of Bob Seger,a lot of Bruce Springsteen, real-early Beatles, Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakam, everything the Ramones ever did...I would go on but I am even annoying myself. I don't think T.P. songs would be covered by so many artists if there wasn't something kinda unique there. I think a lot of real good music is kinda of on the edge of: "Is this really inspired or complete drivel" (Jim Morrison was kinda that way if you think about it) (There has always been an absurdist nature to popular music, anyway.) Another thing I would point out is: quality song writers are not ALWAYS quality guitar players & visa-versa. Does Steve Vai write the kinds of tangible songs Neil Young does? (Not in my opinion.) And yet, most guitar aficionados would say Vai is a better guitar player than Young.

d_dog

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:15 am

Holy $%^&!!!!!! I can't believe it. I thought hell froze over when the Eagles got back together, they got nothin' on this!
Good on ya Niel, great tune!
Can't wait to see the rest. Even if we don't get the "whole" story, I'll still learn this song. :-)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic