>>Poll inside - Will Neil ever do a Tom Petty song ?

TGMatt

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Discuss why ?....

mcfingers

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 pm

I am not sure were all this animosity towards Tom Petty comes from but he never did anything to me and I actually like some of his stuff. Particularly the Traveling Wilburys stuff. Of course George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne probably have something to do with that. :laugh:

TGMatt

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm

mcfingers wrote:
I am not sure were all this animosity towards Tom Petty comes from but he never did anything to me and I actually like some of his stuff. Particularly the Traveling Wilburys stuff. Of course George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne probably have something to do with that. :laugh:
You sure it is animosity towards Tom ?..or is some other deep secret lurking ? ;)

MarkM

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:47 pm

For what it's worth. I for one would consider myself a pretty big Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers fan. I've seen him 3 times but can only remember two :blush: :blush: . For better or worse, depending your point of view, his music is part of the fabric of my generations lives. I'm now......ugh....41 as of last week and I can't remember a time where his music wasn't around. Heck he's still as vibrant today as he ever was. Just got his last album and it is really really good. My opinion only. Now his music isn't going to win any awards on its technical merit but c'mon now how many great bands will? Nothing like a nice warm summer night with a cold one or three in your hands, hanging out with friends as you listen to The Waiting, American Girl, Even the Losers, etc........If you can remember the state of music in the late 70's and early 80's then you know how much TP was needed to throw a little attitude and 4 chords rock and roll songs back into the mainstream. I don't think he's ever sold himself out. In fact he went to court and stopped producing albums just to make sure that the record companies wouldn't charge over 9 bucks for an album. Most of all if George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne respect him then that is pretty good company to keep. OK off the soap box now. Where's my damn guitar......... :laugh: :laugh:

MarkM

unclewalt

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 pm

mcfingers

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

TGMatt wrote:
mcfingers wrote:
You sure it is animosity towards Tom ?..or is some other deep secret lurking ? ;)
I am never really sure of anything. :P

RicksPick

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:01 pm

I voted NO!!!

I think Neil has A case of
Nomatophobia- Fear of names.
And if One tune goes up then more might follow, leading to the other Problem
Tapinophobia- Fear of being contagious
And if that happens
Apeirophobia- Fear of infinity.
Then
Agateophobia- Fear of insanity.

RicksPick

Chasplaya

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:04 pm

I voted yes, he will succumb to overwhelming pressure from all the TP aficionados, because he is actually a closet TP fan but has yet to come out of the closet...

TGMatt

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Lavallee

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:37 pm

I did not know much of Tom Petty before I joined TG. Watching Neil being his marketing manager, I started paying attention to TP music to realized that I knew a bunch of his songs and that I liked many of them. So I hope to see a few lessons on him.

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic