What do you do for fun when you're not playing guitar?

tovo

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:57 pm

I thought it might be nice to know a bit about what hobbies people have outside of guitar. I'm talking fun here, not the 80-100 hours of work some of you put in. Ain't much fun in that I would think.

Me, I like to camp with my wife and boys. Reminds me of what's really important and gives me chance to clear my head. Love it.

dennisg

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Tony, I like going camping with your wife and kids, too. Really, you shouldn't go away on so many business trips.

My favorite non-guitar hobby is cycling. I do a fair amount of riding with the Cascade Bicycling Club here in Washington state, and my wife and I do a European cycling tour every other year. Next year ... the Piedmont region of Italy!

BobR

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Tony,

I used to go camping when the kids were younger but haven't gone in a while. It used to be a lot of fun. Now I do a little woodworking. Building cabinets, tables and things. I also have an old motorcycle I like to ride. Does drinking beer count? :P

Bob

NKenny

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:18 pm

My three past times are Guitars,Lionel Trains and Cars. I have been collecting trains since since 1957 , wow that was a long time ago. In 1968 I had a red convertible Ford so now to rekindle my youth I have 2006 Mustang GT, license plate reads 4MYUTH. Go to many car shows and belong to a Mustang club.

Have a great day Kenny

MarkM

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 pm

What? There is life outside of guitar??????

Well apart from spending time with my twin 5 1/2 year old girls and my wife, playing pretty princess, fairytales, ballet, etc... (I wouldn't trade a single minute), there isn't much else. I do like to get out fishing as much as I can and I have that habit of loving golf and hating it at the same time. We're packing the "family truckster" up Friday night around midnight and driving down the east coast to VA Beach (10 miles south actually) to spend time with some friends and their little ones. Should be fun but I'll be missing my guitar for sure.

MarkM

ffsooo3

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:58 pm

My wife and I raise our own:
-vegetables
-herbs
-eggs
-meat: chicken,duck,goose,turkey,rabbit,lamb, & pork
-goat milk (from which we make cheese & butter & soap)
-fruits (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples, pears, & peaches)

We make our own maple syrup in the spring.
We grind wheat berries to make our own bread, rolls, english muffins, bagels, & pasta.
We grind various nuts to make our own nut butter (peanuts, almonds, & sunflower seeds).
We make our own apple cider vinegar.

Needless to say we don't work (much) outside our home. My wife volunteers at the library and also does taxes for low income and seniors as part of the AARP program and I do book repair for the local library.

And we rarely go to the grocery store (except for coffee, tea, oils, and wine).

tovo

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:12 pm

dennisg wrote:
Tony, I like going camping with your wife and kids, too. Really, you shouldn't go away on so many business trips.
Right! I was wondering why my bedroll smelled so strongly of "Old Spice" aftershave. Now it all makes sense.

Bob, beer counts mate!

Mark I have 2 words for you: "Travel guitar!" (OK 2 words and an exclamation)

Kenny, 1957 IS a long time ago. Sorry buddy! Sounds a cool hobby.

Daryl that sounds like a brilliant hobby. I'm sure there's a great sense of satisfaction to be derived from being so self-sufficient. We have dabbled in vegetables, but not on that scale.

Thanks for sharing guys. It's nice to get a better sense of people's interests outside of our common one. Keep em coming!

sbutler

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Tovo, I wear Old Spice too. But Alaska is many miles away. No worries about me.

Time off for a starving Bush Pilot seems to come few and far between, but just this past weekend, my wife and I floated the Kenai River here in South Central Alaska. Camping, bowhunting, hiking and always on the prowl for those elusive salmon (when they return) are the things that I look forward too.

My wife heard from a pro Photographer that a pretty big Alaska Brown bear had been seen at the Russian River Falls around 8pm every night, so off we went on a 4 mile round trip hike. She wasn't disappointed when we got there.

Hopefully my attachment skills are good and you'll see the bear we hiked to see.

Scott,

ps, the salmon fishing turned out to be pretty good as well. for both us and the bear. Image

sbutler

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 pm

Tovo, I wear Old Spice too. But Alaska is many miles away. No worries about me.

Time off for a starving Bush Pilot seems to come few and far between, but just this past weekend, my wife and I floated the Kenai River here in South Central Alaska. Camping, bowhunting, hiking and always on the prowl for those elusive salmon (when they return) are the things that I look forward too.

My wife heard from a pro Photographer that a pretty big Alaska Brown bear had been seen at the Russian River Falls around 8pm every night, so off we went on a 4 mile round trip hike. She wasn't disappointed when we got there.

Hopefully my attachment skills are good and you'll see the bear we hiked to see.

Scott,

ps, the salmon fishing turned out to be pretty good as well. for both us and the bear. Image

Music Junkie

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Tony:

Like you and Mark, my favorite thing to do away from guitar is my family. We just got back from a camping trip in the high Sierras last week. My oldest son is finally getting the art of trout fishing down and was a bit more self-sufficient this year. What a wonderful sight to see him cast, wait, set the hook and land his own bunch of trout this year. I am still smiling inside over that. My youngest is still learning, but getting better. They played in the creek at camp and built a dam to play in (I have no idea how they do it though, as the water is 34 degrees F in camp........holy crap!).

I also enjoy stargazing and reading. I have a telescope and a skyscout for my stargazing, and I will read pretty much anything that is put in front of me except for the mushy love novels..... :woohoo:

I also dabble back and forth with my old college math professor in calculus problems. He loves to try and stump me (I think it is getting easier for him these days in my old age). He will send some differential equations my way and I will try and solve them and send them back with smart ass remarks for him...... I am a geek at heart.... B) B)

Bowling, pool and darts are fun with drinks and friends as well... :) :)

Jason

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic