What do you do for fun when you're not playing guitar?

mcfingers

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Tony, Great idea to get to know more about the fun group here.

When I am not having fun with the guitar my other passion is nature/outdoor photography. Anything to get me outdoors. Today a friend and I climbed a 9,600foot peak in Lassen National Park. I had never done this particular hike before, it was 7 miles round trip, 2,500 vertical climb at about a 14% grade and it was spectacular, tiring, but spectacular. Got some pretty good shots of Lassen Pk, elev. 10,400ft and many other shots of the hike. My wife and I love going to music festivals, camping, and taking long walks with the dog. I am pretty much an outdoors kind of guy.

Thanks for asking,
Steve

Scott, Holy Crap! That's a big Brown Bear. Salmon run must be good. :laugh:

mcfingers

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
My wife and I raise our own:
-vegetables
-herbs
-eggs
-meat: chicken,duck,goose,turkey,rabbit,lamb, & pork
-goat milk (from which we make cheese & butter & soap)
-fruits (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, apples, pears, & peaches)

We make our own maple syrup in the spring.
We grind wheat berries to make our own bread, rolls, english muffins, bagels, & pasta.
We grind various nuts to make our own nut butter (peanuts, almonds, & sunflower seeds).
We make our own apple cider vinegar.

Needless to say we don't work (much) outside our home. My wife volunteers at the library and also does taxes for low income and seniors as part of the AARP program and I do book repair for the local library.

And we rarely go to the grocery store (except for coffee, tea, oils, and wine).

Now That's the way to live. Bravo to you both. Steve

sbutler

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:37 pm

Steve, it sounds like you and I have something in common. I'm training for a sheep hunt in two weeks, so today, I climbed a peak with no name in the Talkeetna's with my 55lb training pack. Got home in time to take a shower, pick up the Seagull and respond to this poll.

Scott

haoli25

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Wow, Daryl, I feel like an absolute slacker now! :) :) That is really cool that you are able to do all of those things. That sounds like a great life to me.
For me, when I am not working or sitting behind a guitar, I like to punch little holes in large pieces of paper. I am out at the pistol range doing a little target shooting.

Bill

6stringbostic

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:04 pm

when i'm not working or playing guitar - i'm THINKING about playing guitar. :cheer:

...but really i like to spend time with family traveling, sightseeing, being outdoors, and reading...

couldn't grow a vegetable if my life depended on it though i think. i know this economy is bad - and i've taken a beating too - but i hope it don't come to me having to live off the land - cuz i'd die...

great thread. thanks.

older pastimes that i WISH i had more time for: beach volleyball, indoor volleyball, tennis, sailing....and more travel of course....

AcousticAl

Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 pm

haoli25 wrote:
Wow, Daryl, I feel like an absolute slacker now! :) :) That is really cool that you are able to do all of those things. That sounds like a great life to me.
For me, when I am not working or sitting behind a guitar, I like to punch little holes in large pieces of paper. I am out at the pistol range doing a little target shooting.

Bill

Note to self... DO NOT GET ON BILL'S BAD SIDE!!

Funny you should post this, Tony. About a year ago, I actually had a very 'Seinfeld-like' conversation with my wife and some friends about my LACK of interests. I told them I didn't have 'A THING'! Everyone else had 'a thing' - sports/woodworking/music etc- but I couldn't think of anything besides family, that I did with my time when I wasn't working.

I joined TG soon after that conversation. And had an even funnier convo with them about how I found 'A THING'!
Hilarity ensued. Guess you had to be there to hear the Seinfeld impersonations. (I used to be a dead ringer for him before the gray hair).

I do like to travel though. Guess that's my other 'thing'.
B)

lueders

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:03 pm

"My three past times are Guitars,Lionel Trains and Cars. I have been collecting trains since since 1957..."
WAIT A MINUTE: GUITARS, LIONEL TRAINS, & CARS. ARE SURE YOU'RE NOT NEIL YOUNG? THOSE ARE SOME EXCELLENT PASTIMES KENNY. (THAT IS IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME)

Sorry about that Kenny, a feeble attempt at humor!

AndyT

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:09 pm

I used to love to get whacked and play lawn darts. But my wife decided that was not a good hobby. Still not sure why. LOL

I like to ride my bike down to the airport and watch the planes take off and land. Love it! If I ever get the money, I'll finish my pilots license and buy a plane. Already have it picked out. LOL

haoli25

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm

AcousticAl wrote:

Note to self... DO NOT GET ON BILL'S BAD SIDE!!

You're safe, Al. I waste a lot of ammunition, but I never said I was a good shot. :laugh:

Bill

willem

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:05 am

I have a piece of land and do a litlle like Daryl,,potato's,vegetable,flowers,strawberry's and love to grow tomato's,when i see tomato's in the super marked i win the seed myself and let them grow,,this year i have yellow ones..my wife and i do every week badminton,,ones a year we do a day sailing, i discover video editing,, i sing in a choir,to lose weight i hike the city and see everytime something diffrent,also bike around and out the city..i dream about a litlle camper to travel Europe,,and most of the time(free time)i sit and watch TG with a 6string and anwser threads..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic