What do you do for fun when you're not playing guitar?

abiliog

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:32 am

Tony,
Besides guitar, I love to go camping with my wife. Walking in the beach or in the fields is one of the most enjoyable thing to do.
Reading books kills the remaining empty time.
I have a motorcycle I like to ride. I have already traveled more often, and now I am still trying to get a couple of weeks ($$$) to a UK journey (maybe next year).
If I did have a piece of land, I would try to do the Daryl's "hobbie".
Abilio

suziko

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:04 am

I really like spending time in the garden. I am a novice gardener, but I get so much enjoyment from planting things and watching them grow. I have mostly just done flowers, with a few vegetables interspersed here and there, and I like to plant things like native wildflowers that don't require constant babysitting. Pretty much the only thing I don't like about working in the garden is the insane mosquitoes that we get here in Wisconsin. Even when I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (which is not pleasant to do when it's 90 degrees Farenheit!), they still somehow manage to bite me.

willem

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:41 am

suziko wrote:
[. Even when I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (which is not pleasant to do when it's 90 degrees Farenheit!), they still somehow manage to bite me.[/quote]

Maybe the Australien hat is a hole in the marked,,dip the corks in some citron jus Image

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am

Replace the corks with jelly beans and then you're right for when you get hungry too, or lost on a mountain (survival and flies(our mountains aren't very high)).

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:11 am

I'm currently spending time obsessing about all things guitar, oh and I play some too. At other times I have fun doing (in no particulat order) and obsessing about the following:

[ul]- gardening - I grow Australian native orchids (dendrobium mostly), I love growing herbs and edible things too.[/ul]
[ul]- playing pool - yes it is a prerequisite. [/ul]
[ul]- swimming in the sea, especially snorkelling and getting into the waves with my bodyboard (it's been a while) - when we go on holidays to Byron Bay I also like to take surfing lessons (well I paddle mostly). Next life I intend to come back as a surfie.[/ul]
[ul]- painting - I love playing with arcrylics, pastels and watercolours, but sadly in the last year all I've painted has been the house.[/ul]
[ul]- games of all types, every night Sue and I play Scrabble (yes that's my story and I'm sticking to it) generally at least 2 games, but we've also secretly a barbarian and an elf (yep - we love hack 'n slack cooperative RPG games - not the MMORPG type, the us against the hordes of monsters, saving the world with our swords, bows and magic type) - of course there's the Mario and Zelda games too. Yes we are young (at heart) and intend to stay that way.[/ul]
[ul]- playing Canasta with friends and singing to old favourites badly, general silliness - anything that makes us laugh.[/ul]

If only I was independently wealth and could do more of all of these things and others.

Still guitar gets most of my hobby time at the moment.

Michele

tom18

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:44 am

Tony,
This is a thread I can really relate to. Summer brings along a lot of distractions and my guitar practice time takes a pretty big hit. I haven't been posting as often recently as well. My wife and are renovating part of our home so there's a never ending amount of work to be done here. For recreation, my wife and I scuba dive, kayak and enjoy other outdoor pursuits. We're headed to Music Junkies' backyard to do some diving in the Channel Islands National Marine Preserve (southern California) in a few weeks for our ninth trip. We also are apprentice woodworkers, fairly seasoned (pun intentional) home cooks and yes, I do drink my share of beer. All the best,
Tom

snipe

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 am

Welll... lets see.. My main passion is surfing(kneeboarding). I spend alot of time in the water, although as of late not much, (I have to admit I maybe slowing down a little as Im not a youngster anymore). But that will change in the fall when the swell arrives. Besides that I try to stay in some kind of shape to be able to surf ie: gym, running, yoga. Shaped my own board (finally) last year and planning to shape another .

In the fall I will be chasing Chinook in the river and crabing is starting to pick up now so will get the boat wet soon. Golf is a recent addition of things to do. still trying to get below 100

My kids are grown but went to Chicago recently to see my Daughters graduation from Navy basic training. Will be going to Japan next month to visit my son, who's in the Marines.

My Pop lives down the street and is 90 and requires an increasing amount of time these days as well.

Other then that the yard and house takes alot of time. Me and the wife like to go on road trips when we can. TV sucks and xbox rules and occassionally I like IPA tooo much!

ffsooo- Im envious of your self suffiency.
Michele- Hows the surf down there in Byron Bay? I heard its good!

Mike

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:05 am

tom18 wrote:
[quoteWe're headed to Music Junkies' backyard to do some diving in the Channel Islands National Marine Preserve (southern California) in a few weeks for our ninth trip. We also are apprentice woodworkers, fairly seasoned (pun intentional) home cooks and yes, I do drink my share of beer. All the best,
Tom[/quote]

Tom:

I understand that the scuba diving is quite nice in this area. I would like to say that I enjoy it as well, but JAWS ruined the ocean for me long ago........ :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Woodworking is also another hobby of mine and is quite relaxing at times. My wife and I do all of our own remodels as well. Saves a ton of money! I hope your trip goes well. If you need someone to drink any beer with, drop me a line. I am quite good at it.... B) B)

J

tom18

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:47 am

Jason,
We fly to Santa Barbara and dive with the folks at Truth Aquatics. The diving in the Channel Islands is some of the best I've seen in terms of marine diversity. We particularly like diving in the kelp forests. I actually did see a great white shark there once but fortunately not while I was in the water. That's a thrill I can pass on. I recall you're in Ventura, do you ever get up to Santa Barbara?
Tom

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:40 am

tom18 wrote:
Jason,
We fly to Santa Barbara and dive with the folks at Truth Aquatics. The diving in the Channel Islands is some of the best I've seen in terms of marine diversity. We particularly like diving in the kelp forests. I actually did see a great white shark there once but fortunately not while I was in the water. That's a thrill I can pass on. I recall you're in Ventura, do you ever get up to Santa Barbara?
Tom
Yeah, at least a couple of times a month. Mostly for work. Drive to look at a jobsite or go to a meeting. I have two jobs up there right now. One is at UC Santa Barbara, which is right next to the airport, and the other is a private school in the Montecito area (talk about money!!!!!). At other times, we will take the kids to the Zoo (it is quite nice actually). Then other times, my wife and I will stay the night and prowl State Street (that can be dangerous..... :P :P ).

We used to live two blocks back from the beach and one block west of State Street. That was before we had kids and we used to tear it up quite regularly. I am too old for that now, cause hangovers last more than one day now.... :lol: :lol:

If you guys are ever looking for a great place to have dinner and if you like cajun food, try out The Palace. Make sure you make reservations for the first seating though (5:30 I think). Great atmosphere and the food is always good (at least the times I have been there). Alos, you could check out Santa Barbara Brewing Co. Pitcher of Rincon Red and a plate of garlic rosemary fries.....mmmm.

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic