What do you do for fun when you're not playing guitar?

Max

Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:50 pm

My wife and I live near Lake Tahoe California, in a ski resort, so skiing is almost an everyday event in the winter. Summer is biking, boating, and maybe this year we'll try kayaking. I'm also sporadically taking flying lessons, just a few more hours needed for my private pilots license. We also have 3 grown girls out of the house living on their own so we travel to visit them. For now life is good.

haoli25

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:34 pm

suziko wrote:
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about working in the garden is the insane mosquitoes that we get here in Wisconsin. Even when I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (which is not pleasant to do when it's 90 degrees Farenheit!), they still somehow manage to bite me.

Suzi, put a couple of dryer sheets (Bounce, Downey, etc.) in your shirt pocket when you do your gardening. It will keep them away from you.

Bill

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:38 pm

haoli25 wrote:
suziko wrote:
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about working in the garden is the insane mosquitoes that we get here in Wisconsin. Even when I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (which is not pleasant to do when it's 90 degrees Farenheit!), they still somehow manage to bite me.

Suzi, put a couple of dryer sheets (Bounce, Downey, etc.) in your shirt pocket when you do your gardening. It will keep them away from you.

Bill
Skin-so-soft lotion and a healthy regiment of mega-B vitamins are know to keep them at bay a bit. Course the ones we run into up in the Sierras laugh at the lotion..... :woohoo: The Deet wet wipes are good though.... B)

buddy

Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:39 pm

For me it is everything outdoors from training and riding horses to training my bird dogs. I love to take runs and have done martial arts for most of my life as well. I am also an avid shooter enjoying all the shooting sports but especially trap shooting.

My wife and kids are a real passion for me as I love their socks off.

One of the more satisfying things that I do along with my precious wife, is volunteering to do marriage and family counseling (I have a career in finance and resource planning but my Masters degree is in marriage and family counseling). We do marriage counseling one night a week and lead a group another night. We are currently developing a 100 acre retreat type ranch in the mountains to work with kids and adults.

You all have some fun lives and interesting hobbies and it is fun to hear about them.

Bud

tovo

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:41 pm

buddy wrote:
You all have some fun lives and interesting hobbies and it is fun to hear about them.

Bud
It sure is good to hear about what people's interests are.

Thanks to everyone who has responded. If you are reading this and you rarely participate in the forum, let us know you are there and tell us about the things that interest you. As we can all see, there is a diversity of interests, and even some international wife swapping. (In case you get excited...that's a joke and you are definitely on the wrong forum).

tom18

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
Yeah, at least a couple of times a month. Mostly for work. Drive to look at a jobsite or go to a meeting. I have two jobs up there right now. One is at UC Santa Barbara, which is right next to the airport, and the other is a private school in the Montecito area (talk about money!!!!!). At other times, we will take the kids to the Zoo (it is quite nice actually). Then other times, my wife and I will stay the night and prowl State Street (that can be dangerous..... :P :P ).

We used to live two blocks back from the beach and one block west of State Street. That was before we had kids and we used to tear it up quite regularly. I am too old for that now, cause hangovers last more than one day now.... :lol: :lol:

If you guys are ever looking for a great place to have dinner and if you like cajun food, try out The Palace. Make sure you make reservations for the first seating though (5:30 I think). Great atmosphere and the food is always good (at least the times I have been there). Alas, you could check out Santa Barbara Brewing Co. Pitcher of Rincon Red and a plate of garlic rosemary fries.....mmmm.

J[/quote]
Jason,
We've been to the SB zoo and to the Palace restaurant as well. We've even done our share of tearing up State Street. It's a wonderful town and if I had deep enough pockets I'd seriously consider retiring out there. If you're up there in two weeks you'll probably be able to find us lunching at La Super Rica or sipping wine at Santa Barbara Wineries tasting room. I'll be the one in a Martin Guitars tee shirt. Cheers,
Tom

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:26 pm

tovo wrote:
buddy wrote:
and even some international wife swapping.
I got a Takamine for my Wife, it was a good swap.... jk :laugh:

Chasplaya

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:35 pm

I don't have any current other things, although from time to time I draw copies of a famous Kiwi artist's Oil paintings, Mike Ponder, I don't do them in oil as he does but sketch with pencil and put in contrasts with crayon example below. Also draw pictures of Album covers example below. I have dabbled in other pastimes, RC Helicopters at present and occasional photographer, I like doing old black and white style or sepia effects. However, most of my pastimes are guitar related, tabbing out songs I like (with GPro) and believe it or not posting on this Forum, (I can hear Tony say 'Get off the grass, no surprises there mate!) In recent years I have dabbled with small-bore rifle shooting, I was very good at that in my youth but the eyesight has put paid to that these days, also coached beginners soccer team, played semi-pro in my youth was very good at that too but damaged knees put paid to that one... Really enjoy gourmet cooking and sampling Pinot Noirs... lots of Pinot Noirs lol.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 pm

As soon as Tony mentioned wife swapping I got here as fast as I could... but then I remembered I don't have one to swap so I'll have to stick to the hobbies! Nice thread Tony and folks have some really interesting, er, interests. Daryl, you'd like Alessandra's sister's house up the Alps where she raises goats and makes the cheese and all the rest of it. Heidi land! Hope you don't mix up the soap and the cheese when you have guests! Ale loves to be up there with her (half-)sister's 3 little boys. Last house on the Alp before the sheer mountain face.

If I'm not coaching sport or giving courses or spending 10 weekends a year at junior squash tournaments organising or coaching I'm spending my time with Alessandra. We like to play squash and tennis, swim, sing and watch movies together. Otherwise, I weave most of my interests into my work. So I read lots of books on the mind, how the brain works, psychology etc. I also love autobiography and a good sci-fi but not so much novels. Well, I did read all of Harry Potter and do the thing with ordering the final book so that it arrived with the post at 8 AM on release day and stayed in the house until midday next day so no one could tell me how it ended! I'm a bit of a movie fan too: the open air cinema on Lake Zürich in summer is pure pleasure... except when it rains and you get puddles in your socks but stick it out because it's so much fun ;-(. Skiing in winter is fantastic here and going up to the mountains is cool any time. I love swimming in the lake in summer and taking the boats around the Swiss lakes as often as I can. Night swims on tropical nights is fantastic as are star-filled heavens in the mountains.

I love games like chess or Trivial Pursuits and even scrabble although I'm a lousy speller in English (not in German oddly enough)or Settler or Risk or anything where you have to think. Games of luck bore me to death. When I'm in Canada with my sisters, we play board games and watch movies all day long. Love it! But I do suck so bad at the North American sport questions in Trivial Pursuits (American/Canadian version) and get really peeved at being stumped in my own subject!!

I love visiting art galleries and graphic art and like illustrating sport coaching ideas and learning games and finding ways to present sport knowledge in visual form... I know I can't quite separate my work from my hobbies but it's fun so. And last but not least, I love cartoons, caricatures, satire and humour in all forms. Oh, and I love to have a really good philosophical chin wag with anyone who's game.

EDIT: Nice sketching Chas!

Music Junkie

Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:16 pm

tom18 wrote:
Jason,
We've been to the SB zoo and to the Palace restaurant as well. We've even done our share of tearing up State Street. It's a wonderful town and if I had deep enough pockets I'd seriously consider retiring out there. If you're up there in two weeks you'll probably be able to find us lunching at La Super Rica or sipping wine at Santa Barbara Wineries tasting room. I'll be the one in a Martin Guitars tee shirt. Cheers,
Tom
If you like the mexican food, you should try a little place called Rudy's. They have three locations. One in in the Paseo Nuevo mall, another is way up on upper state, and the other (the one we used to go to all the time when we lived there) is on the corner of Montecito Street and Bath Street right near the train station. Crispy Chicken Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had the luck to try out the extremely strong cocktails at either Joes Cafe (right on the corner next to The Palace) or Harry's? Neither place has food worth raving about, but you sure as heck get your money's worth in a cocktail.... :lol: :lol:

The winery tasting room is over off of Yanonali Street, correct? I remember when that place first opened. I have heard good things about it, but I am not much of a wine drinker, so I have never had the opportunity to check it out firsthand. How long are you guys going to be there?

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic