What do you do for fun when you're not playing guitar?

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:43 pm

haoli25 wrote:
suziko wrote:
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about working in the garden is the insane mosquitoes that we get here in Wisconsin. Even when I wear jeans and a long-sleeved shirt (which is not pleasant to do when it's 90 degrees Farenheit!), they still somehow manage to bite me.

Suzi, put a couple of dryer sheets (Bounce, Downey, etc.) in your shirt pocket when you do your gardening. It will keep them away from you.

Bill
Or you can eat lots of Vegemite, which has lots of vitamin B. Yummy I hear you say.

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:02 pm

snipe wrote:
Michele- Hows the surf down there in Byron Bay? I heard its good!

Mike
It's great. Of course it depends on the weather, the beach and a bunch of other factors. But, being an absolute beginner I stay in the protected areas where the surf it big enough to allow you to stand without scaring the @#€£ out of you. It's still lots of fun though and it's not unusual to see a pod of dolphins swim past. It's just magic.

tovo

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:07 pm

michelew wrote:
snipe wrote:
Michele- Hows the surf down there in Byron Bay? I heard its good!

Mike
It's great. Of course it depends on the weather, the beach and a bunch of other factors. But, being an absolute beginner I stay in the protected areas where the surf it big enough to allow you to stand without scaring the @#€£ out of you. It's still lots of fun though and it's not unusual to see a pod of dolphins swim past. It's just magic.
Dolphins!!! Gee they are soft in Sydney. In Adelaide the water is freezing and full of Great White Sharks. So not only do you get to surf you get a massive adrenalin rush. (You don't get no ruuuusssh from Dolphins!

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:48 pm

I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw a great white. I'd be overcoming my fear of lesser things and trying to catch the next $&@# scary wave out of there.

Btw - dolphins do give me a rush. So maybe I'm very squishy, but I'm ok with that.

tovo

Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:55 pm

michelew wrote:

Btw - dolphins do give me a rush. So maybe I'm very squishy, but I'm ok with that.
I'm OK with it as well Shel..peace B) We have dolphins in the Port river just minutes from our home. They share the river with the lead unfortunately.

Anyway, STILL waiting for some new members to take the plunge and tell us a bit about themselves. C'mon, we don't bite.

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:07 pm

... not unless you ask really sweety...

michelew

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:11 pm

tovo wrote:
michelew wrote:

I'm OK with it as well Shel..peace B) We have dolphins in the Port river just minutes from our home. They share the river with the lead unfortunately.

Anyway, STILL waiting for some new members to take the plunge and tell us a bit about themselves. C'mon, we don't bite.
I just figured that all that cold water was shrinking things...like your sense of wonder. I know they make them tough in SA. Or maybe you're so busy looking out for great whites that nothin' else matters. Survival of the quickest.

tom18

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Music Junkie wrote:
tom18 wrote:
Jason,
We've been to the SB zoo and to the Palace restaurant as well. We've even done our share of tearing up State Street. It's a wonderful town and if I had deep enough pockets I'd seriously consider retiring out there. If you're up there in two weeks you'll probably be able to find us lunching at La Super Rica or sipping wine at Santa Barbara Wineries tasting room. I'll be the one in a Martin Guitars tee shirt. Cheers,
Tom
If you like the mexican food, you should try a little place called Rudy's. They have three locations. One in in the Paseo Nuevo mall, another is way up on upper state, and the other (the one we used to go to all the time when we lived there) is on the corner of Montecito Street and Bath Street right near the train station. Crispy Chicken Tacos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you had the luck to try out the extremely strong cocktails at either Joes Cafe (right on the corner next to The Palace) or Harry's? Neither place has food worth raving about, but you sure as heck get your money's worth in a cocktail.... :lol: :lol:

The winery tasting room is over off of Yanonali Street, correct? I remember when that place first opened. I have heard good things about it, but I am not much of a wine drinker, so I have never had the opportunity to check it out firsthand. How long are you guys going to be there?

J
Jason,
Thanks for the suggestions. We do enjoy Mexican food and despite the fact that there's a growing Hispanic community in our area there are few good restaurants nearby. We've eaten at a Mex place in Paseo Nuevo but I don't think it was called Rudy's.
The SB Winery tasting room is close to Anacapa St. and the RR tracks but I'm not exactly sure of the address. We like their Sauvignon Blanc and usually have a case sent home when we visit. We'll be in the area from the 20th to the 29th but out in the islands until the 26th; then a few days on land to chill out before returning home. So little time and so many tempting watering holes!
Tom
BTW, Ever get to the Cold Spring Tavern? Cool place.

AndyT

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:43 pm

I think I missed reading a couple of pages of this but...

I just plew my budget for my new guitar. I have to lose some weight (self-imposed) and my old bike is in pretty sad shape. It was given to me so I only spent a few $$ on maintenance things but it needed replacing.

So today I finally picked up my new Schwinn hybrid crusier. It has a rear rack, 7 speeds and some very nice extras. Since I ride to and from work, I spent a bit more, but I got a very nice bike for the money.

So, now I can ride to my jam sessions in style instead of walking. LOL

Now, I've gotta start saving again for my new axe.

Catman

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:42 am

When not playing guitar or working, I like bicycle riding (MTB only--no road; it's too dangerous here due to insane drivers) and reading. Oh, and researching GAS items.

Seems a bit mundane compared to some of you guys.

-David

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic