If there are any stargazers out there.........

millponddave

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Out here in Utah where I live, along the shores of the Great Salt Lake, it gets really dark. (So dark in fact that there is a small observatory right next door to my house) It should be a good show!

Dave

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:43 am

millponddave wrote:
Out here in Utah where I live, along the shores of the Great Salt Lake, it gets really dark. (So dark in fact that there is a small observatory right next door to my house) It should be a good show!

Dave
Dave:

That is great! I have friends that do Lake Powell Every year on a house boat. They tell me about the dark skies and how they sleep up on top of the boat at night. Sounds like fun. Unfortunately for me, the marine layer was in again last night and made viewing impossible..... :( :( :(

Roll of the dice I guess.......

J

TGMike

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm

I checked out the meteor shower last night here in AZ. I must say it was the best show I have seen as far as shooting stars go. They were the brightest and biggest I have ever seen. It was especially cool because my son had not seen them before so he was really impressed.

Have a good day,
Mike

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:10 pm

TGMike wrote:
I checked out the meteor shower last night here in AZ. I must say it was the best show I have seen as far as shooting stars go. They were the brightest and biggest I have ever seen. It was especially cool because my son had not seen them before so he was really impressed.

Have a good day,
Mike
Good deal Mike! Glad you got your son out there. The first time I got my boys up at night to see them, they were blown away. Kind of a neat thing that most people miss out on in their lives, cause they just don't know.

J

haoli25

Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:36 pm

TGMike wrote:

Have a good day,
Mike

Mike, that is very cool that you got to watch the meteor shower with your son. I have been watching them for years and they were particularly spectacular this morning. This is also a good time of year to see Jupiter. It appears as bright object in the eastern sky rising slowly through the evening.

Bill

Music Junkie

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:46 pm

haoli25 wrote:
This is also a good time of year to see Jupiter. It appears as bright object in the eastern sky rising slowly through the evening.

Bill
Bill:

Here on the west coast, Venus is super bright right now in the early evening. It comes to life medium high in the west and sets that way. I have gotten some very cool looking views of it next to the moon in various stages. Antares is still big and red right now as well.

We actually got a great view of the space shuttle and the space station a couple of months ago when the shuttle disembarked. They flew straight overhead and I had the whole gaggle of neighborhood kids out in the street watching with me. Was hilarious. For the next few nights they were all out there swearing up and down that they were seeing UFO's.... :laugh: :laugh:

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic