Advertisments on You Tube?

Hydroman52

Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:36 am

I've never seen this before, but the last couple of days, I've been getting advertisements slipped in between the videos that I'm watching at You Tube. About every third or fourth video I watch, there is a political ad for some guy running for Governor in Wisconsin. Seems like it is targeted for my geographical area. Anyone else seeing this stuff? It's very annoying.

AndyT

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 pm

Yep. YouTube has commercials now. And they are targeted by IP address and zip code.

Hydroman52

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Andy,

That's what I figured. So you get ads targeted to those living in Hawaii? I wonder what kind of ads others get from around the world. The ad that I saw was one of those political slam ads targeting opponents. You know the ones:

"My opponent voted for a bill to advocate kitten and puppy torture in the war against terrorism. Do you want this jerk running your country? Vote for me . . . the one that likes our little furry friends . . . . and I’ll take care of it."

The speaker “mute” button comes in very handy when these show up. The ad was run by Google Ads. I always wondered how they were going to make all the money that Wall Street was saying they were going to rake in.

Actually, it’s probably a blessing in disguise. Now I’ll be watching less You-Tube and practicing more. Problem solved!

Hydroman52

haoli25

Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:48 pm

Some say that prostitution is the 'World's Oldest Profession', I say it is advertising! After more than 35 years of working with advertising salespeople, I am convinced that they were the original prostitutes. :) Just smile and ignore the ads. (That really makes the salespeople crazy too)

Bill

AndyT

Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:55 pm

We get the politicians here also. When someone asks me if I saw an ad, I just look at them quizzically and say: "Whats an 'Ad'?" (I rarely watch TV)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic