If you could have written any song in history...

dennisg

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:02 am

Here's the game: you've got a time machine that you can use to go back to any moment in time -- complete with all your current knowledge. What year would you go back to and which SINGLE SONG would you have wanted to write?

I might go back to 1963 so that I could beat John Lennon to the punch by writing "I want to hold your hand." It's not that it's such a brilliant song -- it's that its arrival was such a watershed event in popular music and ushered in the entire British Invasion. You can't ask much more from a song but that it influence popular culture. Okay, I suppose you could ask that it puts some money in the bank for the songwriter.

suziko

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:12 am

Good topic, Dennis. I was having a similar conversation with a friend, talking about the lyrics to a certain song that we both like, and I said that for a pop song, it was so beautiful and melancholic and I only wish I could write something even 1/100th as good.

For me, I'm less interested in picking a song that is influential or important, though I respect and understand that. I'd just want to have written something beautiful, something that captures some sort of strong feeling, something intangible. It's hard to pick one song that encapsulates that for me, but I'll be a good girl and play by the rules. So, I'll say that my song would be Isn't It a Lovely Night by The Decemberists:

lueders

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:48 pm

Doc Brown says it is a REALLY BAD idea to attempt to alter the
space-time-continuum...

tovo

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Great topic.

Last night I watched the Beatles story. I dreamed (seriously) that I traveled back in time and had to try convince John Lennon that I had come from the future and wanted to warn him of what the future held for him. To do that, I sang "Imagine" to him, a song he had just written but not yet recorded. I recall he was quite amazed (not with my voice), that's all I remember of that particular dream.

A long way to say, I would write "Imagine".

AndyT

Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Happy Birthday. Eventually everyone sings it.

pbraun

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Well for me there are just too many choices. Without a doubt it would end up being a Beatles tune. Tony hit a great one in Imagine.
I guess if pushed it would be Let It Be or Long and Winding Road, but the again since that won't happen I guess it would.............
I'm Down!

pbraun

Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:26 pm

Well for me there are just too many choices. Without a doubt it would end up being a Beatles tune. Tony hit a great one in Imagine.
I guess if pushed it would be Let It Be or Long and Winding Road, but the again since that won't happen I guess it would.............
I'm Down!

wiley

Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:15 pm

mickm

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:59 pm

For me it would be "Margaritaville". Who would have thought you could take a minor pop hit and turn it into a multi-million dollar brand. Man I can just see all those guitars hanging on the wall of my Caribbean beach house.

Second choice,"Somewhere Over the Rainbow" If imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, Well I think I'd be feeling pretty dang flattered.

Mick

neverfoundthetime

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:32 am

I'd love to post my choice here... just can't seem to settle on one song... I've blown a fuse on this one.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic