Earthquake in New Zealand

AndyT

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:45 am

Very few injuries. Praise God for that.

People are very resilient and I'm sure will have most of it rebuilt in short order.

willem

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:37 am

What can happen when you sleep,,be safe all..

michelew

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:50 am

Chas,
I'm really glad to hear that you and your clan are OK. I hope that the gale force winds peter out and don't cause havoc too.

Michele

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:39 pm

BigBear wrote:
Chas- our thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and countrymen. 7.4 is a very significant earthquake.

I won't bore you with engineering details but the lateral forces in an eathquake of that magnitude are staggering. I would expect some major building damage or loss depending on how advanced the Kiwi building cods are. Older buildings and non-reinforced masonry structures may end up in a big pile. Surprisingly, wooden residential building will survive the best.

Please keep us posted on what's happening there. Mother Nature has been in a very foul mood this past year for some reason.

Best wishes for a speedy return to normal. :cheer:
Hi Rick, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. The Kiwi building codes are very strong on making buildings resistant to Earthquake nowadays, plus many older buildings had strengthening and special ties put in place, A rubber foundation was invented in NZ and is now used worldwide. A city engineer was on TV yesterday explaining the city got off lightly simply due to the codes, mind you if this was lightly then I'd hate to think what could have been. Latest geo-engineer reports speak of 3 -4metre lateral shift in earth surface on a previously unknown fault line, with some vertical movement also.

haoli25

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:47 pm

That was a hell of a jolt! I have some very dear friends in Christchurch and I have been worried about them. Fortunately, they were able to get a message to some family members in England through the good work of the NZ Red Cross and all is okay with them. I also hope for a quick recovery for the residents.

Bill

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and comments, its been a wee bit harrowing as 3 of my kids are in Christchurch and one of them as mentioned had a close call.

Its been absolutely amazing that there is no loss of life reported as yet given the wide are that's been affected.

BigBear

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
BigBear wrote:
Chas- our thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family and countrymen. 7.4 is a very significant earthquake.

I won't bore you with engineering details but the lateral forces in an eathquake of that magnitude are staggering. I would expect some major building damage or loss depending on how advanced the Kiwi building cods are. Older buildings and non-reinforced masonry structures may end up in a big pile. Surprisingly, wooden residential building will survive the best.

Please keep us posted on what's happening there. Mother Nature has been in a very foul mood this past year for some reason.

Best wishes for a speedy return to normal. :cheer:
Hi Rick, thanks for your thoughts and prayers. The Kiwi building codes are very strong on making buildings resistant to Earthquake nowadays, plus many older buildings had strengthening and special ties put in place, A rubber foundation was invented in NZ and is now used worldwide. A city engineer was on TV yesterday explaining the city got off lightly simply due to the codes, mind you if this was lightly then I'd hate to think what could have been. Latest geo-engineer reports speak of 3 -4metre lateral shift in earth surface on a previously unknown fault line, with some vertical movement also.

That's great to hear! The Kiwis and Aussies have led the world in many significant earth-science advances. I am familiair with the "rubber" foundation system although our codes don't yet require them. They are probably already required in Calif. although the seismic code in Oregon continues to get stricter.

Most people don't realize that the building codes used around the world don't give a wit about the actual structure. They only care the safety of the occupants. Therefore the codes are designed to keep the building together long enought to allow a full evacuation. Not much consolation for the property owners or insurance companies!

But a 3-4 meter shift is huge by any definition. I can't wait to read the engineering reports AFTER everyone is okay!

Thanks for the update Chas!!

AndyT

Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:56 pm

Hmmmm... Does this mean I'll have to get my GPS re-programmed? I mean, you're not where you used to be.... :laugh:

neverfoundthetime

Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:56 pm

My son had narrow escape he had just gont to bed and was half asleep when the quake hit, he had old CRT TV on large cabinet which fell onto bed just missing him.

Cost estimated so far at $2 Billion.
Now that's an exaggerated insurance claim for a CRT TV if ever I heard one! ;-)
Just glad you guys are all o.k. down there.

haoli25

Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic