Thirty Years Is Not Enough

AcousticAl

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:41 am

Chasplaya wrote:
Someone mentioned that it would be unlikely that he would be alive today had he been released earlier, not sure if they meant that his lifestyle would have got to him or he would have been sought out by a distraught fan seeking revenge.

I wrote that, Chas- and I meant the latter. My friend is a monster Beatles fan (where I'm just an avid fan :))
He is convinced beyond a doubt that if Chapman ever got out, that someone, somewhere would get to him. I tend to agree.

And btw- I didn't know that he has refused treatment while incarcerated. There's no way they should even consider letting him out then! How would they know if he'd re-offend? Why bother with the parole process at all??

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:03 am

AcousticAl wrote:
Chasplaya wrote:
Someone mentioned that it would be unlikely that he would be alive today had he been released earlier, not sure if they meant that his lifestyle would have got to him or he would have been sought out by a distraught fan seeking revenge.

And btw- I didn't know that he has refused treatment while incarcerated. There's no way they could even consider letting him out then! How would they know if he'd re-offend? Why bother with the parole process at all??
If he has made no attempt to cooperate with rehab then I agree why bother, but as I've said, and look things are no different in NZ this becomes a burden on the taxpayer. Also as Tony states Capital punishment is a different argument and an emotive one, probably best left alone here.

What gets me about these people kept locked up is how they are looked after, better than some with genuine welfare needs. Right now as I write in NZ about 800 prisoners are being relocated from ChCh to the North Island for their safety???? While the majority of poor homeless souls down there are sleeping in school halls, and if they were poor and had no insurance have no hope of getting substantial assistance with rebuilding their lives. Justice ... I don't think so. These guys should be on a chain gang clearing rubble and silt.

Having said that I think most here agree this dude is best kept under lock and key.

pbraun

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:05 am

I am afraid that I would need to say the guy is a jerk, unstable or not, if you take a life you must pay with a life. Not literaaly, I am good with life in prison, sounds like he's not living too bad as it is.
I know there are cases where there is a life taken that circumstances may not warrant life in prison, but in premeditated cases such as this, he needs to stay there. This goes for the guy who kills Joe Blow too.
Pete

wiley

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 am

haoli25

Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:13 am

AcousticAl wrote:
I didn't know that he has refused treatment while incarcerated. There's no way they should even consider letting him out then! How would they know if he'd re-offend? Why bother with the parole process at all??

Al, even though several psychiatrists had examined Chapman and found that he was competent to stand trial, Chapman's legal team had planned to present an 'insanity defense' at his trial. Chapman declared that he was not insane, and against legal advice, he did plea guilty to 2nd degree murder. Prosecutors accepted the plea and Chapman was sentenced to 20 years to life for 2nd degree murder.
Chapman should have been convicted of 1st degree murder. He admitted to making at least two other trips to New York to kill John Lennon. He also admitted that he purposely chose to use .38 special hollow-point bullets to inflict 'maximum damage' on Lennon. He admitted that he had got Lennon's autograph earlier in the day of the shooting just so he could 'look him in the eyes' before he killed Lennon. Clearly this was premeditated. A 1st degree murder conviction would have complicated Chapman's parole hearings now.
Since the 'insanity defense' was never used, all prison psychiatric treatments were strictly voluntary.

Bill

unclewalt

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 pm

tovo

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Threads like this one always have the potential to turn into slanging matches, which is why they are generally avoided I think, which is a shame. I would generally agree that a lack of empathy is one of the biggest problems in society, mine, yours and many others. I tend to save my empathy for victims. I really don't think the responses here have been "knee-jerk" at all. Accepting that Chapman has a mental problem (and I do) I still feel he should never be released. I don't hate him for the reasons you described, he is insane. But my sadness is reserved for the loss of a talented man, husband and father.

unclewalt

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:43 pm

wiley

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:07 pm

wiley

Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic