Thirty Years Is Not Enough

AcousticAl

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm not advocating violence, but I'm pretty sure he's actually living a longer, safer life behind bars. I can't see him lasting long on the outside if he was ever released.

haoli25

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:28 pm

AcousticAl wrote:
I'm not advocating violence, but I'm pretty sure he's actually living a longer, safer life behind bars. I can't see him lasting long on the outside if he was ever released.
I agree, Al.

"Chapman has been confined within a Security Housing Unit (SHU) for violent and at-risk prisoners. There are 105 other prisoners in the building "who are not considered to pose a threat to him," according to the New York State Department of Correctional Services."

tovo

Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Jay 30 years IS a long time. If John Lennon could receive another chance, I would be happy for Mark Chapman to have the same opportunity. As it stands, I can't bring myself to support him having another chance at life outside.

I think Dennis' point is a very good one. No doubt the fact that he murdered someone so very famous has had a large influence on his Parole Board. My logic applies as much to Joe Blow as it does to John Lennon. I think it is the right of the victim's family (any victim) to expect that the person who took away their loved one in such a senseless act of violence remain incarcerated. No second chance is harsh, but that's exactly what the victim is accorded.

Lavallee

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 pm

I do not believe in the death penalty, as I hope that civilization will eventually find a way to limit murders. However I do not believe that a murderer should ever be free again. that includes Chapman or anybody who would do a Joe Blow.

Marc

haoli25

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

tovo wrote:
....No second chance is harsh, but that's exactly what the victim is accorded.

Sadly, that is very true, Tony. I had to learn that bitter lesson firsthand. I agree with Marc too, Chapman should never be free again. While he has been in prison he has never permitted any psychiatric treatments. Whats to say that he would not get out of prison, begin to feel like a loser again, and chalk up another innocent victim. He is not worth the risk and not entitled to a "do-over".

Bill

songman52

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:49 pm

Jay, Dennis, Al, Marc, Tovo, Bill and the others: No wonder I like this site. It's not just about guitar lessons, but sharing thoughtful, and thought-provoking discussions.
I'd love to sit around and jam for a few days with you guys, have some "think sessions" and probably have a lot of laughs as well. And invite Bear and the others! And Beer! Yeah, that's it, Bear and Beer!

Jerry

haoli25

Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:56 pm

songman52 wrote:
Jay, Dennis, Al, Marc, Tovo, Bill and the others: No wonder I like this site. It's not just about guitar lessons, but sharing thoughtful, and thought-provoking discussions.
I'd love to sit around and jam for a few days with you guys, have some "think sessions" and probably have a lot of laughs as well. And invite Bear and the others! And Beer! Yeah, that's it, Bear and Beer!

Jerry

Jerry, if you will bring the Bear, I'll bring the beer!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bill

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:19 am

If this occurred in a different US State I guess this discussion might not be happening. Incidentally what has it cost the US taxpayer to incarcerate this guy for 30 years and how much more do you guys The US taxpayer intend subsidising his life? What does a 5.56mm cost? Or even cheaper a decent length of hemp? If he was released is he going to get a job and support himself or will he rely on the state welfare systems? Not advocating anything here just also putting up some points maybe worth considering. Also difficult to compare against Joe Blow, maybe if Joe Blows family could afford the legal advice and representation and garner the same media attention, so you are not on a level playing field.

Someone mentioned that it would be unlikely that he would be alive today had he been released earlier, not sure if they meant that his lifestyle would have got to him or he would have been sought out by a distraught fan seeking revenge.

Here I sit balanced precariously on the fence with this one...

EDIT; PS I'm not saddened he was declined parole, but it also concerns me about fairness in comparison to others who have been paroled for similar heinous crimes but done against Joe Blow.

wiley

Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:30 am

tovo

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:12 am

Wiley first and foremost, I'm real sorry for your loss.

Secondly, although you certainly don't need my endorsement, I think that's a very balanced piece of writing in light of your personal experience with losing a loved one. I think it's obvious that it's much easier to have a stance when you are not so personally affected like Wiley has been.

For me, Chapman is a no-brainer. No shades of gray. He calmly murdered a man and for that, he should remain in prison until he dies in my opinion. The issue of capital punishment is a different argument and one I'm not personally prepared to comment on.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic