DO YOU FEEL SAFE???

TGMatt

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Some quick off the cuff thoughts..

I have lived ..not just visited..Idaho, Gainesville, Orlando, Miami, San Jose, Scottsdale AZ , Indiana (in the USA), Nimes, Montpellier (France), Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Noosa, Gold Coast (Australia), Surrey (UK)..

I can tell you on to of that my travel which has been extensive beyond that as an added anecdotal addition tells me at least that The US, amongst all of the western world countries for me is by far the most crime laden..

I have not lived in Jo-Berg South Africa but have friends who tell me it is hardcore there..but for me the US is bloody dangerous in far too many places..

Whether it is the preliferation of Fire arms to less than stable people, the growing marginalization of the poor in a geographic sense or the mass availability of drugs and pop culture, whatever the theory, too many places are too dangerous to drive through at night and in some cases during the day (Hello Parts of LA and MIami ug..Miami..wow)

Scottsdale and San Jose far exceed a feeling of comfort and security , but drive to the outer ring of Phoenix and it is friggin dangerous, in the daytime too..Drive to North of San Fran maybe somewhere like Berklee...same deal...

When I arrived in Indiana I remember distinctly my first day I opened the local paper to a double page spread of murders for the month, plotted on a map..

This is simply unheard of in OZ..sure we have crime, sometimes murder, sometimes senseless..but it feels so different here..truly different, you know that in LA on a freeway if you cut someone off, and it is the wrong person , they may chase you and shoot you, and that is although statistically not probable, it is definitely happening..In OZ this does not happen..

In the South of France, hard crime is negligible, but there is an art almost to the petty crimes of theft etc, elevated to an amazing level..

Now this is all anecdotal, on my behalf, and I relate it mostly to an awareness I have garnered over time , but I think it is fairly accurate having conversed on this subject many times with the folk around me at various destinations..

What is totally amazing to me, is places in South America get a truly bad rap, Columbia, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, yet often are many times safer in hard statistics on violent crime..

Of course this is my opinion only before I get stomped on, and I still love living here in the USA, but for me at least it is very real ...and that is before we start talking about the peadophile issues which simply astonish me..

Anyways..not pleasant, but symptomatic of some deep seated problems in Rome Im afraid..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic