DO YOU FEEL SAFE???

willem

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:00 am

Do you feel safe and do you think the gouverment and other authority do enough on this issue..do you feel safe in you own area,the net,traffic(not the car you drive)etc,what do you self about it,,here in the the Netherlands for example we must do two locks on our bike,this looks a litlle thing but it counts millions..bike thiefs..

BigBear

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

Willem- that's a great question! Here in America, personal safety is a big issue. Unfortunately, we have a very violent society fueled by drugs, social and economic issues, a questionable justice system and very easy access to guns.

This is an extremely controversial subject but the 2nd Amendment of our constitution guaranties every citizen the right to own guns for protection and initially so that the government couldn't control the population. A direct affront to King George III during the American Revolution.

But centuries of war have made firearms cheap and plentiful. I lived in Germany for three years and Europeans can't believe that Americans allow private citizens to own guns. But I remind them that the first thing Hitler did was disarm his citizens and we all know how that turned out.

So to answer your question, I feel safe most of the time but violence is always there in the background. We have 330 million people in the US and there is absolutely no way the police can protect us from violence. Personal safety is each individual's responsibility.

I own and frequently carry a legally concealed firearm when I am places where violence in know to be frequent. It's no fun and a burden, but so is being attacked or shot. I don't know if I can prevent violence but I hope the abilty to resist it to some degree may at least give me a chance. I have made the very deliberate decision to "go down fighting" if I am attacked.

Bottom line, there is violence and theft everywhere and the only person who can prevent it is us. We simply can't delegate our personal safety to the police.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much but this subject is very important to me!

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:31 am

Rick you did'nt confuse me,i know now don't mess with the Bear,,you want to resist,but,well you have to defence your self,,glad to know you are most of the time feeling safe,don't go to violence places,well i'm a kind of a cab driver(never have money with me),but you never know what's on the way coming at ya.

tovo

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:59 pm

I would say that Australia is a generally safe place but we have our share of crime and there are places in each city that are best avoided. The papers will always claim that crime is on the rise, I often wonder if it's more a result of the increase in media to report crime rather than a huge spike in the crime itself. I'm sure I could dig out some stats and find out if I were so inclined.

I got lost once in Inglewood in LA. Got my heart racing better than any exercise I ever did.

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:26 pm

tovo wrote:
I got lost once in Inglewood in LA. Got my heart racing better than any exercise I ever did.
Next time try Watts..... B) B)

I agree with Bear on this one. Here in Ventura, we don't have much trouble, but head over to parts of Oxnard or Fillmore (neighboring towns) and it is another story altogether. Nothing like what you would find in LA, NY, Chicago, or any of the other metro towns (especially Washington DC), but still a place to avoid if you can. I have friends who spent some time in London and had several problems with crime, and also in Rio..... There are bad folks throughout the world. Sad really.....

But we avoid those places if we choose....

J

ffsooo3

Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:44 pm

I feel very safe. In our town (of 500) we have no police. No police station. No police cars. No traffic lights. Heck we only have one street light (in front of the town office). Most people in my town don't lock their cars or their houses.

willem

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:01 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
I feel very safe. In our town (of 500) we have no police. No police station. No police cars. No traffic lights. Heck we only have one street light (in front of the town office). Most people in my town don't lock their cars or their houses.

That's great Daryl,,here in the big towns we make all kind of secruty's, so it is not easy to try something, then on a moment it went over to villages were the life was good and easy,,to easy,, i think,, keep alway's in mind it could happen...glad to know you feel safe..

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:03 pm

ffsooo3 wrote:
That is how it should be.....

When I was a kid we used to be able to do that in the town I lived in.....

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:17 pm

If we had an international benchmark we could compare, NZ media claim crime is getting more and more violent with increasing Family/Domestic violence, this is of course relative to what is known in NZ. How this compares with other countries I have no clues, I would hazard a guess and say safer than most. The major debate in NZ is whether to arm Police 24/7, I'm biased and say yes to that, having had one Police officer friend gunned down a few years back and also my wife being an officer I would feel better if she had a firearm at all times (her current job doesn't require it though). My wife also supports having firearms. It wouldn't bother me too much if Joe Blow had Firearms Its not the good guys you worry about anyway and the criminal element will get them no matter what.

When I first came to NZ you could go into a bar pull out a pocketful of cash leave it on the bar in front of you, the barman would deduct correct amounts and you could walk off, play a game of Pool or darts being sure the cash would not be touched, also you could leave houses unlocked in most places and not have to worry... Not now in the majority of places though.

Do I feel safe, I guess I do most of the time, but you never know what's round the corner.

lmc831

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 pm

For the most part,I think I can say I feel safe. But, at the same time, I have become more aware of my surroundings more so than in my past. Crime has certainly increased in my City over the years and you really cannot take anything for granted. On the whole, our society has become more dangerous. Its in the news all the time here in the US. which is pretty depressing. Gone are the days when I would go for a nature hike in the woods by myself...happy go lucky Lisa. I don't do that sort of thing anymore by myself....

Lisa

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic