Where would you go?

Chasplaya

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:47 pm

tovo wrote:
Some cool responses. The purpose of my thread was as MJ alluded to, I think it's good to learn a little about people's ambitions outside of learning Classical Gas.

A couple people said they aspire to travel their own country, and I agree. Many people ignore their own back yard and the wonders it holds. Particularly huge countries like Canada and the US, there is a lot to see. I have spent a lot of time in the "GAFA". That's the Great Australian F**k All....and it's HUGE.

Marc, Bear, NZ is a beautiful place. Well worth the visit. They have the advantage over us in the fly fishing stakes I would say but can't hold a candle to our new age wine. (They do have some very nice niche whites I must say).
Sauvignon Blanc is probably one of the finest Sauvignon Blanc in the world but the Reds are competing:

UK wine writer Paul Howard observes, when commenting on New Zealand Pinot Noir that, while "comparisons with Burgundy are inevitable, New Zealand Pinot Noir is rapidly developing its own distinctive style, often with deeper colour, purer fruit and higher alcohol. While regional differences are apparent, the best wines do have Burgundy’s elusive complexity, texture and “pinosity” and are capable of ageing". He goes on to say "It is a testament to the skill and craft of New Zealand producers that poor examples are infrequently encountered"

mark

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:11 am

I've done quite a lot of travelling in the past and it becomes every bit as addictive as guitar playing or buying guitars.

I like to go places where the culture is completly different. I always find that I get drawn back to Africa.

willem

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:34 am

Were would you go???When building a family we at a yacht(self build,,nice job) and travel't the waters of Holland,then when those waters get busy like highway's we stopt with that..one time we were in Paris(it stay's by ones),now we thinkin of traveling Holland with our bikes(maybe next year),two years ago we did south Holland and hike a lot throw valley's and such,,I(we)owned for 18 years our own flowershop and notime to travel(holiday's),,now when the word comes over our lips to go to Other country's,well then i have to follow my woman to Skandinavia,,Ireland,,England,,well not so far away and more north then south,,

As for to live somewhere else,,,i would love to leave the city and live in a village'''we call that living outside,,,

MarkM

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:44 am

Good question Tony. You are making me ponder this morning. I just go back last night from my last trip. Not very far this time as I was staying in Times Square in NYC for work the past few days. I get around the US a bit for work but thats about it. Apart from my favorite places in the Carribean that we've been too on vacations to soak up the sun and relax I have a list that I've been putting together of places that I would like to take my family too. My twin girls will be 6 in December so I have a few years to go before we take them abroad. Here is my list in no particular order.

Greece - Great history and it looks beautiful
Italy - My wife really wants to go here. Maybe look up some relatives
Scotland - The other half of my relatives. Maybe I can pick out our clans pattern and put it on a kilt.
London - Just have to get there some day.
Skiing in the Swiss Alps would be fantastic
Australia when I get 30 days off so I can do it right.

Right now I would love to just get on a plane with my wife and go to Negril Jamaica though..........

MarkM

snipe

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:23 am

Tony,

Been around quite a bit. Most of Asia, Middle east, europe. Lived in Scotland for 2 years. That was probably the best expierence I ever had. My 1st daughter was born there. Have been to Austrailia too, Brisbane, Cairns, Bunburry. In fact Ive been to more places on the planet then my own country. There is a long road trip in our future in the USA. But other then that I would luv to go to Chile (never been to South America)and New Zealand. As far as living somewhere else, perhaps Costa Rica would be my choice.

Mike

dennisg

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:10 am

A lot of what I've seen of Europe has been from the seat of a bike, and to me that's the best way to travel because it puts you in such close proximity to the locals -- and away from the tourists. My wife and I have been through a thousand tiny towns in France, Italy, Ireland and England, and we hope to see a thousand more. Our favorite ride of all was from Venice (east coast of Italy) to Pisa (west coast). Next year we're going to ride through the Piedmont wine region of northern Italy.

I'd love to do a bike tour through New Zealand and maybe the Germanic countries.

Where I'd want to live -- if not America -- is, without a doubt, Italy. It's got everything: history, beauty, cuisine, varied terrain, art, and Italians. Love 'em. Next to the Irish, they're my favorite people.

AndyT

Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Since I live in Hawaii, I've taken advantage of every opportunity to island hop. I've been blessed to do many of the free 'touristy' things here in the state. I've saved the costly ones for our kids. We took them all over the place, now it's their turn! LOL

Cheryl and I both would like to go to OZ for a couple of weeks sometime.

pbraun

Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm

Most of my travel has been limited to the states, but I have been to Puerto Rico and Alaska and a few of the islands via cruises. I would go back to PR and Al in a heartbeat, even to live.
But in reality, I will settle for whatever time I can just to sit on a beach and waste the time away. (would need to bring the guitar though)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic