Mic and mixer advice?

AcousticAl

Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I had some time today-- so of course I made a video!!
Here's a demo of the new mic I wrote about above-- Sennheiser e835. The difference in audio quality is actually quite surprising when you compare this video to one of my other vocal uploads like 'Come Monday' or 'Hey Hey My My'.

I didn't put this to the student channel, as I'm just looking to demo the mic for those that are interested. I'll probably upload a full version of the song to Target after working on it a bit more.

FYI- While the performance was pretty off the cuff- the setup wasn't. I had to record the audio separate from the video and then re-join them in AVS (edit program). The mic and guitar were run to a little mini mixer that I've had forever- then run to (and recorded with) the micro br. I'll be skipping this setup if I'm NOT recording vocals, as it is quite involved.

BTW- the mic is just off camera to the left of the screen. VERY sensitive! Probably about a foot from my face. My elec/acoustic was plugged in, but I'm sure I also got some bleed through the mic, which I didn't mind.

MarkM

Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Al,

That sounded really good. You have a FANTASTIC voice. Sounds very much lile Nils Lofgren to me. Love this song. When you get some time try playing the guitar through the mic instead of through the pickups. I'd be curious to hear how that sounds.

MarkM

6stringbostic

Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 am

geez al i really envy your voice! sounded great! i'd be recording myself too if i sounded that good! great job - keep em comin

willem

Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:12 am

Al,,Al,that's the sound i like,,real acoustic,,and man i think you'r gonna make it,,nice song and can't wait for that you nailed it and the studio recording,,awesome...what's the title of the song?...

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:34 am

Thanks guys.

Mark- I will try that when I get a chance.

6string- I never thought anyone would envy my voice, but thank you.

Willem- The song is 'Out on the Weekend' by Neil Young. I should put it in the suggest a lesson category, as it is a great song! Good palm muting and barre chord workout for sure.

ffsooo3

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:08 am

Al, The sound quality on your mike is GREAT. Like Mark said, I'd love to hear how your guitar (and voice) sound through it.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:31 am

This a cool and helpful (what else from Helpful Al!) thread Al.
I just loved that little snippet of that Neil Young song it sounds really good... so much better than the set up you normally use ... not that I noticed any short comings on that before you posted this. Excellent sound quality and... man you really can sing those NY songs, great voice Al! I hear the Nils Lofgren thing too.

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am

Darryl & Chris, thanks.

I am impressed with the mic quality for sure. I was worried about it distorting when I tried for the higher notes- but it was clean. I forgot to mention that they sold the mic as a package WITH a mic stand. All for about $120 CDN. Not bad.

Speaking of audio-- there's another reason why the quality is better when compared to my other vocal uploads. Basically- when you (or I) use our camera mics to record, it has an auto-level audio meter that can (and usually does) introduce hiss.
Using a mixer takes auto-levels out of the equation. You could also try disabling the auto-levels on your camera if it has that ability-- but this function is usually found on higher-end cameras.

I cover it in more detail in the TG Techie Group here:
http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... roupid=106

jayswett

Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:44 am

MarkM wrote:
Al,

That sounded really good. You have a FANTASTIC voice. Sounds very much lile Nils Lofgren to me. Love this song. When you get some time try playing the guitar through the mic instead of through the pickups. I'd be curious to hear how that sounds.

MarkM
I'd be curious about that, too. I would think that the mic is picking up alot of the guitar, not just some "bleed" as you indicated.

AcousticAl

Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:22 am

jayswett wrote:
MarkM wrote:
Al,

MarkM
I'd be curious about that, too. I would think that the mic is picking up alot of the guitar, not just some "bleed" as you indicated.
Bleed was the wrong word to use. Guess I'll do another test where the guitar isn't plugged in and see exactly how much is picked up by the mic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic