Some questions about America

tovo

Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:54 pm

The USA obviously has a massive influence on popular culture and language. I'm starting a thread where I (and anyone else who cares to do so) can ask the big questions. I'm sure I can get the answers to the questions that occupy my little brain from time to time. Of course I could Google...but how boring is that!

OK so first one:

I was listening to Brian Adams do "Summer of 69" this morning. What exactly is a "5 and dime"? I get that it's a store to buy stuff, I assume cheaply, but where did the term "5 and dime" come from?

AndyT

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm

Back in the 1940's and 50's, there were stores that sold a large amount of their merchandise below 5 or 10 cents. They began to be called 5 and Dime stores in the popular slang. After a while, the name became part of the culture and entered the dictionary.

It's pretty rare to find a 5 and dime anymore. These days, you find 'Dollar Stores' instead.

dennisg

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm

It refers to things you could once buy for either 5 cents (a nickel) or 10 cents (a dime).
At one time this type of store was very popular in middle America.

pbraun

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:06 pm

Tony,
The 5 and dime stores that I remember were not full of merchandise that cost a nickle or a dime!. The were several stores that I remember-Ben Franklins and Woolworth. They were both a general merchandise store that sold a little of everything toys, food items all the way to fabric and paint. basically a convince store.
A funny side story. When my son was small and I was clawing my way up the ladder (in retail)I worked even crazier hours that I do now. My son and I had gone to the movies to see Superman and on the way home he wanted to stop and get something form the 5&dime (Ben Franklins) and we went in to get it. On the way out he said Daddy you need to work here instead of (where I was at the time. I asked him why and he said that it was closer to home and he could come spend more time with me and then I could take him home and put him to bed.
Well I never did go work for Ben Franklins, but I certainly cut my hours back!
Pete

tovo

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Thanks guys. Funny I knew what a dime is (smart guy eh!) but didn't get the 5 as 5 cents. Not so sharp on the uptake sometimes I guess.

OK well I'm taking care not to start a rumble...at least that's my aim. My next question has potential I guess:

Do Americans still tend to identify themselves as "Southerners or Northerners?" I'm thinking here of the controversy surrounding Neil Young's "Southern Man" and the "Sweet Home Alabama" reply.

Oh....yes I do know Neil Young is Canadian!

AndyT

Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:22 pm

I've lived on both sides of the Mason Dixon line (the line dividing the North from the South) and it can still be an issue even in this day and age. Mostly, its the south that is actively resisting the 'citification' of the south. The country has a reputation of stupidity, and the north has a reputation of criminality. While neither of these is really accurate anymore, there is still a bit of bad blood there.

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:01 pm

Interestingly Woolworth in UK had the nickname the 6 'Penny' Store as most things were relatively cheap and around 6d, I guess this was an idea stolen from the 5 and Dime era

Chasplaya

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I've heard about Eighty six something and I believe it means reject it but where on earth does it stem from?

AndyT

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 pm

Chas,
Look up 'Visit to a Small Planet' by Gore Vidal. The main character used number commands to do things and his command for destroy it was 86. Funny enough, it was also the code number for Maxwell Smart. Control Agent 86 because he was considered a walking disaster area.

Hydroman52

Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 pm

Tony,

I believe the north and south rub is becoming less and less of an issue as the country becomes more homogeneous in its culture. The tension stems from slavery many years ago in the United States that eventually erupted into our Civil War. This was one of the darkest periods in American history which pitted neighbor against neighbor and even split and destroyed many families. It's been around 150 years since that war and I guess that it takes a few generations to get around all that bitterness.

When I was a teenager, I moved from Wisconsin (the north) to southern Florida (extreme south - very close to the Everglades). There were many areas where I wouldn't venture without a "local" accompanying me, because I was a "damned Yankee". After a couple of years, the wall was worn down and I could go most anywhere without being in too much danger. Sometimes you've got to hoot, hollar, and take a little moonshine to be accepted as one of the boys.

Now, when I go down to the southern parts, I really don't get the "Yankee" comments anymore unless it's followed by a jovial laugh.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic