Some questions about America

BigBear

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:53 am

tovo wrote:
When it comes to food, when I think Canada I think maple syrup. England I think fish and chips. Italy I think pizza. Australia I think meat pies. New Zealand I think of men doing strange things with sheep..but that's quite disturbing so I push those thoughts away.

When I think USA I think hot dogs. Does the US have a "national dish"?

I think the Germans did hot dogs way before we did (frankfurters anyone?). We just downgraded them into cheap fast food! And the French, Germans and Brits did french fries (pomme frites, chips?) way before we did.

Andy is right, it has to be the hamburger, or cheeseburger. There is no part of this country where you can't get one. Fried chicken is another American invention I believe.

I also think Bar-B-Que or smoked meat with a tangy sauce is pretty American as well. Lots of countries grill meats but not many are as obsessed with smoking it. Can you tell this is one of my main hobbies? LOL! Yummy!! :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:53 am

Those guys have it all wrong Tony! How would they know, they are natives. It takes an outsider's taste buds to give the right perspective. It has got to be ICE CREAM. Specifically Peanut Butter Ice Cream. When I first went to the states in 1976 they were just 200 years old and I was 20, the waterfront counsellor at Camp Choconut PA. I can't describe the joy of going out on a hot summer's night in Pennsylvania (after having three MASSIVE meals during the day)to go eat a pint of peanut butter ice cream (after pizza). God bless the United States of America! :-) The added 5 kilos I put on after 2 1/2 months there soon dropped off after a few weeks of soccer training back at Loughborough!

willem

Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:57 am

BigBear wrote:

I think the Germans did hot dogs way before we did (frankfurters anyone?). We just downgraded them into cheap fast food! And the French, Germans and Brits did french fries (pomme frites, chips?) way before we did.[/quote]

Rick it's got to be for the Germans,,''braadworst with sauerkraut,beer and corn'' i worked there to for a view years,,

WE in Holland,,well we have the famous snackbars with many sort snacks(kroketten,,nasibal,fricandel,kipcorn,broodje hamburger ,etc and frites),most people go there ones a week when they are lazy,,the last years we have vietamese loempia's,they stand everywhere on each corner,,we have turkisch shaorma,,and very native is the rich dish of al kinds of fisch,''haring,gerookte paling,,lekkerbekjes,,ets,,at home we eat that ones a week,,,then we pick or bikes and start running,,

ps very native in the Dutch in the winter is ''boerenkool met worst'' (dinner).

Lavallee

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:48 am

BigBear wrote:

I think the Germans did hot dogs way before we did (frankfurters anyone?). We just downgraded them into cheap fast food! And the French, Germans and Brits did french fries (pomme frites, chips?) way before we did.[/quote]

Funny enough, French fries and Swiss chocolate are from Belgium :)

Marc

wiley

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:53 am

In Texas, we take our Bar-B-Que (Smoked meats) kind of serious. How about one of these in your backyard:
http://www.bbqpits.com/commercial_indoo ... gs2009.jpg

Or, just in case you need to travel to a neighbors or Family members:
http://www.bbqpits.com/greg_nj_copy.jpg

If you have really HUGE Family:
http://static.neatorama.com/images/2006 ... smoker.jpg

And for those who need a bit of everything, just in case:
http://static.neatorama.com/images/2006 ... -grill.jpg

There are "Cook-Offs" between Bar-B-Que teams, some like the "World Championship" held in Houston at the Reliant Arena (Home of the Houston Texan's NFL Team), held every year the week preceding the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, are elaborate and somewhat open to the public. Something I've never disclosed is the wife and I are 'partners' of sorts with one of her younger sisters and her husband in a "BBQ Catering Service". Steve, that particular Brother-in-Law has won just about every thing you can. He's honestly refused to ever return to the, what the media calls anyways, the 'real' World Championship in Tennessee, Memphis to be exact. Seems Steve placed fourth, the top three, where all the money is ALL used 'injection' methods.

That's where you 'inject' flavorings and spices into the meat rather than apply a mixture of seasonings as a 'rub'. Do that in Texas and, well, it won't be pretty! The first thing you'd probably hear would be "Somebody get a rope!".

Aside from the BBQ, the most eaten type of foods in this region is "Tex-Mex". There are more "Tex-Mex" restaurants around than any other kind, and subject to the style and spicing that particular restaurant uses, can be absolutely delicious to bland and bizarre. Some are spicy, some not. "Tex-Mex" is a blend of Northern Mexico and Texas types of foods. "Fajita" meat, the muscle lining of cattle stomach (used to be trash) is marinated for several hours (usually overnight) in a blend of sauces, spices, and liquids, then 'flash grilled' (cooked over an open flame at a high temperature for a short time). Cut the Fajita Steak into small strips, add your favorite garnishing (Guacamole, Pico-de-Gallo, Sour Cream, Cheese, etc.) and roll up in a fresh, home made flour Tortilla (a Mexican type of thin bread) and you have yourself one of the more popular Tex-Mex dishes.

Pizza, as we know it today, was an "American" or "New World" thing. Yes, there are all types of cultures who take a flat bread (Like Pita, the first part of the word "Pizza") and top that bread with all sorts of things. Yet the Tomato sauce we are all so familiar with is a "New World" food stuff, as the Tomato is a "New World" food. IOW - until the "New World" was found, and import/exportation began, the "Old World" had never seen or experienced the Tomato. In fact, at one time, the Europeans considered (since unripened the Tomato is hard and Acidic to eat, and 'ripe' it seems to be close to being rotten and, when cooked, pretty much disintegrates) as possibly poisonous.

wiley

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:28 am

There's been several responses about how our younger generations are 'getting fatter by the generation'. True enough, a huge chunk of the reason is Physical Activity. There seems to be less and less reasons today for kids to go play outside rather than sit in front of a screen. Whether or not I agree with Andy on the "Sports in School" issue is a mute point. I will say I watch less and less sports than I did when I was younger, especially football, and especially the NFL (Pro). I cant stand to watch as some 500 pound dude sacks the quarterback late in the game, jumps up and dances around and his team-mates join in on the dance. I want to yell, more times than not "LOOK AT THE SCOREBOARD STUPID!! YOUR DOWN 35 to 10!! WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU CELEBRATING!!" In my day, and in the way I coached, the celebrations took place in the locker rooms, after the game was over and out of sight of the opponents and the public. I can't even imagine what Vince Lombardi would have done if one of his players had pulled such a stunt. But, that was then, this is now.

One of the reasons I want to bring to the thread about why our kids are getting 'fat or fatter' is something else we have sort of covered. NUTRITION! We, as a society, and not only in the US but worldwide, have to change what our kids eat (or are fed) in our public and even our private schools. Two out of the daily meals are usually eaten in the School, sometimes this is ALL the kids get to eat. I don't give a rat's behind what some supposedly educated clown says about Pizza being a staple enough food that kids can (or should) have it as a breakfast food. Or that slices of peeled Potatoes dipped and then 'cooked' in animal fat (AKA French Fires)is a vegetable. Or that Hot Dogs (processed Beef, Pork, Chicken and/or Turkey left overs) or Chicken Nuggets (processed chicken left overs) meet the requirements of a 'Protein'. Or that sugar and preservative processed fruits are suitable as 'fruits'. Take out the soft drink vending machines, and replace them with sugar-heavy punch drinks?? Milk is a requirement, WTF is 'milk' when you add Chocolate or Strawberry flavorings (with just as much, if not more sugar and fat content as those pesky soft drinks) Give a 6 year old, or even a teenager the choice between Chocolate or Strawberry milk or 'regular white' and guess which one goes?

Here's something we can all do. Go eat lunch, or breakfast, with your kids or Grandkids at their school. You will not need to do so very many times, or for very long, to easily see why our younger generation is getting 'fat'. It will soon become clear why so many of the kids have 'behavioral' problems, those jittery jumpy things they do when you give them a candy bar at home. I'm not blaming it on the schools or any other entity, I am blaming it on what we have accepted as the "Norm". I wouldn't be surprised if several folks, even a majority would say "What's wrong with what they eat here? It's how we eat at home". That's the disturbing part, we, as a society, have given in to 'fast food' and not fresh, freshly prepared foods. Too much trouble, takes too much time, I just want to pop something in the 'ol micro and eat!.

AndyT

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:48 am

Since I spent the majority of my youth in Texas, I'll have to agree with Wiley on the BBQ front. Except we don't really hang people that inject flavorings into the meat. We tar and feather them instead, and afterwards we play "Pluck the Chicken". LOL

I spent much of my time in Texas living on a cattle ranch, so I became very spoiled with the highest quality beef. We raised our cattle 100% organic. The only chemicals they got were vaccinations for disease and such. Gotta love it.

AndyT

Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:54 am

wiley wrote:
There's been several responses about how our younger generations are 'getting fatter by the generation'. True enough, a huge chunk of the reason is Physical Activity. There seems to be less and less reasons today for kids to go play outside rather than sit in front of a screen. Whether or not I agree with Andy on the "Sports in School" issue is a mute point. I will say I watch less and less sports than I did when I was younger, especially football, and especially the NFL (Pro). I cant stand to watch as some 500 pound dude sacks the quarterback late in the game, jumps up and dances around and his team-mates join in on the dance. I want to yell, more times than not "LOOK AT THE SCOREBOARD STUPID!! YOUR DOWN 35 to 10!! WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU CELEBRATING!!" In my day, and in the way I coached, the celebrations took place in the locker rooms, after the game was over and out of sight of the opponents and the public. I can't even imagine what Vince Lombardi would have done if one of his players had pulled such a stunt. But, that was then, this is now.

One of the reasons I want to bring to the thread about why our kids are getting 'fat or fatter' is something else we have sort of covered. NUTRITION! We, as a society, and not only in the US but worldwide, have to change what our kids eat (or are fed) in our public and even our private schools. Two out of the daily meals are usually eaten in the School, sometimes this is ALL the kids get to eat. I don't give a rat's behind what some supposedly educated clown says about Pizza being a staple enough food that kids can (or should) have it as a breakfast food. Or that slices of peeled Potatoes dipped and then 'cooked' in animal fat (AKA French Fires)is a vegetable. Or that Hot Dogs (processed Beef, Pork, Chicken and/or Turkey left overs) or Chicken Nuggets (processed chicken left overs) meet the requirements of a 'Protein'. Or that sugar and preservative processed fruits are suitable as 'fruits'. Take out the soft drink vending machines, and replace them with sugar-heavy punch drinks?? Milk is a requirement, WTF is 'milk' when you add Chocolate or Strawberry flavorings (with just as much, if not more sugar and fat content as those pesky soft drinks) Give a 6 year old, or even a teenager the choice between Chocolate or Strawberry milk or 'regular white' and guess which one goes?

Here's something we can all do. Go eat lunch, or breakfast, with your kids or Grandkids at their school. You will not need to do so very many times, or for very long, to easily see why our younger generation is getting 'fat'. It will soon become clear why so many of the kids have 'behavioral' problems, those jittery jumpy things they do when you give them a candy bar at home. I'm not blaming it on the schools or any other entity, I am blaming it on what we have accepted as the "Norm". I wouldn't be surprised if several folks, even a majority would say "What's wrong with what they eat here? It's how we eat at home". That's the disturbing part, we, as a society, have given in to 'fast food' and not fresh, freshly prepared foods. Too much trouble, takes too much time, I just want to pop something in the 'ol micro and eat!.
You're singing my song brother! Lets be careful lest we turn this thread into an indictment of current society and thereby make a few enemies of the powers that be. But since I'm already on their hit list, to heck with it! LOL

willem

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:34 am

I can't believe your not eating fresh food(so is my understanding),,,most day's of the week we go ''breakfast''MILK-SANDWICH-'''LUNCH'' TWO SANDWICH-THEE,COFFEE,OR MILK AGAIN,,DINNER(EVENING MEAL)COOKED POTATO'S(TWO) WITH VESTIBLE AND SOME MEAT,,one day in the week only for dinner we do only fish(backed),fryday is most a lazy day,,we do some frites or pizza..in the weekends we often do only some sandwich's,,in between the meals we eat fruit's..i have a sitting job and must look out for over weight,,so we do badminton,hike,bikes..

PS the dinner,we alternate the potato's with nudles with vestible..

BigBear

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:17 pm

wiley wrote:

That's where you 'inject' flavorings and spices into the meat rather than apply a mixture of seasonings as a 'rub'. Do that in Texas and, well, it won't be pretty! The first thing you'd probably hear would be "Somebody get a rope!".

Wiley- being a die-hard BBQ'er I completely agree with you, with one caveat. Texas is famous for the best beef BBQ in the world. I never inject beef. Just a good homemade rub and maybe a little mop. Nothing better than a 12-hour smoked brisket! Nirvana!

But I do inject turkeys (and brine them) and some pork cuts. Apple juice and pork goes together perfectly!

Cheers! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic