Some questions about America

wiley

Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:07 am

Quickly,

I coached 4th grade and 5th grade football (the kind with the pointed ends)which consisted of 9 to 12 year olds for several years. I'm not sure if you can say 'passionate' is the right word, but there was more than once I can remember more action going on in the stands than the field. I never coached little league baseball for that very reason.

I also remember once when one of my assistants, one of my kid's parents (the guy was HUGE) and one referee grabbed myself before I could get to an opposing Coach! Towards that particular incident, HE was the one who got suspended after the fact. (The incident took place after the game was over, in the parking lot).

And I wouldn't call what we do 'embracing' the sport or a particular team. It's more like an obsession. I had a neighbor a few years back spend about $1,200us on a flubbed snap (what the center does to get the ball to the Quarterback or kicker)that cost the Dallas Cowboys a trip to the Super Bowl. Seems Beer Bottles, hurled at a high speed, will break these new flat screen TVs!

This is Nolan Ryan, the Gonzales Ranch has grown to I believe 8,000 acres. Nolan is, the "Real Deal' and one of our greatest ever baseball pitchers. And, one of the best people I've ever met.

Nolan is no longer just the "President" of the Texas Rangers (the team George W. Bush owned before running for the Presidency), he recently bought it (with financial backing). Here's a 'tribute' video of the man, the kid in the headlock is Robin Ventura. Nolan hit Robin in the ribs with a pitch. Robin 'charged' the mound and Nolan stood there, waiting. Imagine the surprise the kid had when the 46 year old Ryan put a good old whooping on him! Nolan landed 6 before his own catcher pulled him off the kid. Final fight score, Nolan 6, Ventura 0. Nolan was a fitness freak when he played.

AndyT

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:27 am

For many reasons, I think sports should be banned from schools and professional sports should have some serious salary caps. I'm not going to go any deeper into it now because I can get pretty worked up over this. LOL

I grew up with country music. I like it as well as I like any kind of music. It depends on the song, just like all the rest.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:12 am

Gee wiz Andy! Banning sport from schools is a great idea... let the youngsters become even fatter and less co-ordinated and die even earlier! You are kidding me, right? In England the kids get 6 hours of sport in school (or they used to) a week and it's seen as the team building, spirit building fit making activity it is. Or should be. Maybe that's because we have a healthy attitude to losing in sport: it’s the taking part that counts, not the winning. I know, in the US, winning is not the only thing, it's everything. And that's the problem. Seeing the opponent as an enemy who has to be crushed is not a healthy attitude to sports. I was shocked to see at the end of the only Baseball match I've been to live that the teams didn't shake hands or congratulate each other at the end. What the? I saw Donavan Bailey win the 100 meters sprint when I was in Canada during the Atlanta Olympics. Guess what, as Carl Lewis didn't win, US TV didn't show and re-runs of the even for the rest of the day but did rerun everything a US athlete won. In the US you are either a (preferably American) winner or you don't exist.

This is the worst possible attitude to sport you can have. Tony's right, for the Aussies, like the South Africans, sport is a big part of life. For the right reasons, I think. Mind you, Australian Rules has all the violence included in the game... ouch!! There have been awful tragedies at soccer matches in the past where people have died due to the violent behaviour of hooligans that is true. But I see that as just an extension of the Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting mentality and social tensions rather than a product of sport it self.

Sport is such a central part of Anglo society and culture for all the right reasons. Sport in schools is more important than ever. Experiments have shown that when kids do 10 mins of physical activity each morning before lessons that they are more alert and learn better AND become fitter. Less diabetes = kids living longer. Life expectancy in the US is falling because of health issues tied to obesity and lack of movement.

So I'm guessing that Andy doesn't like the winning-is-everything attitude and the negative effects of over paying our professional sports people (all except the squash players!!! but don't get me started!). On that, I'd agree.

haoli25

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:57 am

Chris, Sports are alive and well in the good ole USA and continues to grow each year. Sadly, "Sportsmanship" in the good ole USA died many years ago and will not be back. Although I am not a soccer fan, one of the great things about watching the World Cup this year for me was the sportsmanship displayed by the players and the fans. With just a few exceptions, it was a pleasure for me to watch them.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm happy the sportsmanship was visible Bill... becuase the games were crap! ;-)

AndyT

Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 pm

Chris,
You are 100% correct. Sports in America has become a breeding ground for thugs and other hooligan types and it sickens me. If there was real sportsmanship, then I'd have no objections, but as it currently stands...

willem

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:47 pm

AndyT wrote:
Chris,
You are 100% correct. Sports in America has become a breeding ground for thugs and other hooligan types and it sickens me. If there was real sportsmanship, then I'd have no objections, but as it currently stands...
I alway's thought then things first happen in the states and then when the wind was in the right direction it happen every were else in the world it's the violence that stopped me to care for football,, we watch now snooker,

question,,what is the most famous hat in America???

neverfoundthetime

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 pm

Andy, I guessed that was your thinking.

Willem, the wind does blow everything over from the States... Britain is getting just as obese and life expectancy will fall there and in Europe too after years of an upward trend. When it comes to sport, I feel that the national mentalities are different and the (healthy) British view of sport will remain. You can see that in soccer. In Europe, if a player is fouled, he'll roll all over the grass making it look wores than it is. In the Premier League in England, no one wouild dream of swanning around like that and the fans won't put up with it. Christian Ronaldo had to learn that rule fast as indeed all the continentals seem to do. You can't be unfair or a wuss in British sport! And you can't be a bad looser either but you are allowed to lose and you won't be become a nobody as you would in the States.

BigBear

Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:25 pm

tovo wrote:
Changing direction radically again.

There is a commonly held view outside of the USA that Americans know little about the rest of the World and care even less. Personally I have met many Americans in my travels and that wasn't the case, but of course I am meeting Americans who are travelling, which by its very nature indicates some interest.

What do you guys think?

I think that is true to a large extent. America is a vast and diverse country. Few Americans have seen even a fraction of this country let alone the rest of the world.

America also has an incredibly large economy and until just a few years ago the actions of the rest of the world had very little to do with us. But as we become a global economy America's need for world involvement increases.

I think some/most Americans feel a general resentment from the rest of the world against us. Except when there is a war or natural disaster and then everyone expects the USA to go deal with the problem. This is probably more true in older Americans but it contributes to a sense of national isolationism. The world bashes the Americans until they need us. If you don't believe me, ask the French!

Having lived in Europe for three years I can tell you that the Europeans know far more about America than Americans do about Europe. I don't know if that's American arrogance, or a lack of interest. Whatever it is it is very short-sighted. And Americans know even less about the Far East.

My final point is that we Americans need to become involved in foreign languages. I'd love to see the percentage of Americans, who are not of hispanic decent, that speak any foreign language.

Americans often take it at face value that the rest of the world speaks English. If you don't, what's wrong with you? I speak German and it was always amazing to see the German reaction to me speaking their language. It opened so many doors and generated such good will (and good times!) that I can't even describe it here. Nowadays, the Germans speak better English than most Americans! LOL!

Schools in America do not often require any foreign language skills. That's a huge mistake IMHO. If you want to know other cultures we need to make some effort to learn their language. Yes, English has become a world language but it is not the only one. I'm still trying to learn Spanish! LOL!

:cheer:

Music Junkie

Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Bear:

Good comments..... B) B)

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic