Guitar Pro

sbutler

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Ok, I've been a member of this site for 7 months now. My playing is light years ahead of where I ever thought I'd be in this short amount of time. I've spent almost all of my free time practicing, and didn't think or never knew just what Guitar Pro would do for a newbie like me.

So now that I've seen every body mention it with some regularity, its time to ask,
"What would I do with, or better yet, what would/could Guitar pro do for a pretty new player?"

I've looked at their site a little, but I guess not enough to have a complete understanding of what all it really does. I have not gotten into writing or composing music yet, heck I have a hard enough time playing.

A little more understanding of this Guitar Pro thing might do me some good.

and ps, Winter is here. The sea ice on the west coast is freezing up. I've been in 3 snow storms so far this week, making flying a real nightmare. So get out the hoodie's all ya'll in the south, its a comin'

Scott Image

Hydroman52

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Scott,

Here is my experience with GP6. I became interested in it back in Dec 2009 before Version 6 came out. I was going to buy Version 5, but 6 was promised to be just around the corner and wanted to circumvent an upgrade. At that point, I had more time on my hands and thought it would be a good effort to learn it. But the weeks turned into months as I waited for 6 to be deployed. By the time they released it, I was so busy that I bought it and never got it installed. Now, my guitar life is so busy (practicing at home, learning theory, getting out and jamming with others) that I don't see using it on the near horizon. The point is that I am doing fine without it right now. I'm not stalled at the moment and don't really need to explore it.

Such is the story of my life . . . . either too much money and not enough time, or too much time and not enough money.

Don't know if that's good information, but that's the way it is.

It's okay for you to send the snow down here, but please wait a couple of weeks. I still have to put up the kayak and bring down the snowshoes and XC skis.

Hydroman52

AndyT

Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:57 pm

Is that a DH6? Nice. I love the Otter. Wish I had one.

Guitar Pro has a lot of uses, but I would say it depends on how much you work with sheet music. If all you need is a lyric sheet with chords, then you don't need GP. If you use a lot of Tab and or standard notation, then its the best choice.

It has some cool features that you can use to improve your playing. It will loop sections, it will do slow downs. you can choose a section of a song and have it play over and over at gradually increasing speed till you get it up to full speed. And since it's a computer, anything you play along with is like using a metronome.

So, it has uses for all levels of player. You just have to decide on how much you are likely to use it.

Personally, I use it constantly. Its by far one of the best purchases I've made in my guitar career.

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Given that almost all of Neils lessons come with a Guitar Pro tab, I think you would find it useful inasmuch that you download Neil's tab and save it so you can play without going onto the site all the time, also as Andy says you can select parts from the tab and loop them at slower tempo then build up gradually. It also has the dreaded built in metronome. As a bonus there are places on the net that you can download virtually any song you want on GPro and it will play them, it also converts Power tabs ,Tef tabs ASCII , then it can convert back to pdf for you, it can switch on standard notation if you want or simply hide it from view to show just tab.

So my tuppence worth its very useful. I've used it since Ver 2 and wouldn't be without it now.

sbutler

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Andy,
That's #4 engine on a DC-6. So you were very close. The beaver and the 6 both use Pratt Whitney engines, mine are just 2400 hp each X four.

So am I to understand that if you type in some random tab in the Guitar pro software, it will actually play it for you, so you can hear what your creation sounds like? Or what your saying is that if you download one of Neils lessons into GP, it will play it for you and become your playing partner so to speak?

Scott

side note on the pic, I was at 10000ft, -25c, the captain took the yoke, I OPENED the bloomin window, stuck my head out to take the picture of Mt Redoubt as it blew. A wee bit nippy if you know what I mean.

Scott

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:49 pm

sbutler wrote:
Andy,

So am I to understand that if you type in some random tab in the Guitar pro software, it will actually play it for you, so you can hear what your creation sounds like? Or what your saying is that if you download one of Neils lessons into GP, it will play it for you and become your playing partner so to speak?

Scott
If you type in tab onto the tab lines in the programme it will play it. Also if you download Neil's or any other tabs in the formats I mentioned it will play them, it has what is called RSE = realistic Sound Engine so it actually sounds like the selected instrument. It can play multi tracks simultaneously. Some guys produce very 'real
sounding music with this.

It can also correct you if you get the notation wrong, so it can also be a learning tool for standard notation

Chasplaya

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Scott take a look at these although previous version of GPro it shows how to write using the software.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/community ... and+Tricks

AndyT

Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Scott,
Yes, it will play whatever you type into it. And yes, it is a great playing partner. It has perfect timing.

You OPENED the window? I used to fly with a real nut job. That reminds me of him. LOL! At least you were below 12.

We have a Beaver Amphib that flies overhead all day on island tours. I know when its coming. No way to mistake that engine sound.

sbutler

Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:58 pm

Ok, I've looked at the demo's and that looks like it would take a lot of learning just to get the most out of it..

At some point in time, I may be able to justify something like GP. For now however, I'm going to stick with playing the guitar.

One thing at a time.

Thanks guys, for the explanations.

Scott

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:55 am

Why don't you download the free trial version, it doesn't come with the realistic sound engine but it does most everything else, and then try Neil's G Pro tabs on it.

Nothing to lose but loads to gain

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic