Guitar Pro

Hydroman52

Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Scott,

When/if you install and explore GP6, would you update this thread with your thoughts if you have the time? I would be very interested in your opinion. It might push my time frame up if you have a positive experience.

Thanks,
Hydroman52

AndyT

Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:

Here is a question for Andy . . . . . does GP6 convert everything that you write for guitar (solos, chords, etc.) into formats for other instruments. Will it show conversion of fingering on the fretboards or a keyboard for that matter? Is there a demo or information that you could point me to that explains?
Let me answer it this way;

If I have a piece of music written for piano, then I open GP and set it for a 6 string acoustic guitar. (The default) I then type in the standard notation straight from the piano music. As I type it in, GP enters the TAB for me. After I've typed it all in, I use the chord generator to add the chords to the score. GP gives me the chords that match the instrument I have setup. (default guitar)

If I want the TAB for Uke, then the process is slightly longer. First, I have to add a track to the blank score. I choose the instrument I want to add. Ukulele in this case, or maybe even banjo. Then I delete the default track, leaving me with only the instrument I need. Now when I type in the notes, GP tabs for Uke or banjo or whatever it is I have chosen.

Now If I am making a score for many instruments, then I don't delete any tracks, I just keep adding them. Each track is a different instrument in GP.

Now the only instruments GP will tab out are the percussion ones with strings. Guitars, Ukuleles, Banjos, Mandolins... These are the instruments that can be tabbed. Others like piano do not get tabs. But you can type in a tab and GP will give the piano music for it.

The only thing I don't like about converting instruments is that I have to type in the entire score for each instrument. I can't just copy and paste a score and have it tab out for any instrument. If they fix that, then I can see no other problems that would need to be addressed.

Does that answer your question?

Hydroman52

Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:30 pm

AndyT wrote:

The only thing I don't like about converting instruments is that I have to type in the entire score for each instrument. I can't just copy and paste a score and have it tab out for any instrument. If they fix that, then I can see no other problems that would need to be addressed.

Does that answer your question?

Andy,

It's good information. I can see the frustration with not being able to cut and paste a score. So the way I understand it, you don't enter the score once and then press magic buttons that will reprocess that same information to spit out conversions for many different instruments. If that's a true statement, then it's a bit of a bummer, but not the end of the planet.

I agree with you that if copy and paste were possible, it would be a huge step forward. Without that, it's like there's a gaping hole in the program. I guess I'll put it on hold for now until that snowy day when I have more time to play.

Another thought . . . . is there an import/export function that might be used as a work around? Or have you been there, done that? I'm guessing you have . . . you're a very smart person.

Thanks for the clarification,
Hydroman52

AndyT

Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

The import function does not work that way. Sorry. But I went back and looked and here is what the manual says:

Tip: Once the instrument has been selected you won‘t be able to change it for that particular track (nor can you change the number of strings). You can however convert an instrument into another instrument by use of Cut/Copy/Paste; and the notes get automatically transposed. It is also possible to change the soundbank attributed to the track, thus associating any soundbank to any instrument (outside of percussions).

It seems that I'm not doing this correctly. Although how you can mess up copy and paste I don't know. I'll have to work on this.

willem

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:59 am

well i don't have it,,but i know how great this tool is and certainly gonna buy it,,and it cost certainly a lot of free and practice time,,but you get something in return..

An sample

sbutler

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Chas, one of your comments finally sunk in here. Your saying that I could down load a GP6 friendly song, mp3 or something, and play it in GP6, and create a tab of that song from the downloaded version?

Scott

AndyT

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 pm

sbutler wrote:
Chas, one of your comments finally sunk in here. Your saying that I could down load a GP6 friendly song, mp3 or something, and play it in GP6, and create a tab of that song from the downloaded version?

Scott
Yes. As soon as GP opens the downloaded file, it's ready with a TAB. The Tab is part of the file by default.

But not mp3's. You can download MIDI's and TAB from nearly any other tabbing program and GP will convert it.

Chasplaya

Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm

sbutler wrote:

Scott
Clarification Scot, If you can find a Midi version of a song you can, but to be honest this can give you as much work as starting from scratch, although not always. There are heaps of GP versions of songs on the net, you name it its most likely there It doesn't convert mp3s to tab. Neil does all his lessons with a GP tab in version 6 and 5, 5 will play on ver 6 software. It also converts other tab programmes to GP like Tabledit and Power Tab. It can also convert ASCII tabs , but again sometimes you need to tidy them up so I generally don't, most often there is no need as someone will have already tabbed out a GP version anyway.

sbutler

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:33 pm

So for example, I'm crazy about the music of Jude Cole. I've never even seen that name mentioned on this site, ever. But if someone, somewhere had some or all of his songs, already converted into this GP format, I could actually capture those songs and have the tab.

Scott

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:13 am

sbutler wrote:
So for example, I'm crazy about the music of Jude Cole. I've never even seen that name mentioned on this site, ever. But if someone, somewhere had some or all of his songs, already converted into this GP format, I could actually capture those songs and have the tab.

Scott
Hi Scott,

Now I have had a very quick look at the major tab sites and could only find one Power Tab for 'Baby Its Tonight', this can be converted to GP. I also found about 150 ASCII tabs which can be imported into GP and you may need to do a bit of work to get the notation correct, depending on how the ASCII tab was written. So in answer to your question essentially yes you could capture these songs. Another thing about GP is once you've played with it for a while you can start to write your own using ASCII tabs as a base to start from. If you had sheet music its a straight copy into the programme and then it would convert to GP tab and then also play them and give you the ability to loop slow down etc. One main point about any tab is that it is only as good as the person who transcribed it, there is a lot of rubbish out there, but most guys here know the good sites to check out. Also all tab players are not about playing to get CD quality sound but they are intended as an teaching aid to guitar playing So don't expect an Mp3 player. Having said that GPro is the best and has the best quality sound at present in my opinion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic