Taylor experts check in for advice on a 712 here pls

TGMatt

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm

Saw this ad, was interested...

What you guys think???

Value - model ??..etc

I'm selling a 2001 Taylor 712 acoustic guitar, almost no fret wear, a few small dings but no cracks at all. This has an Engleman spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, ebony fretboard and bridge. String spacing at bridge is 2 3/16 and the nut width is 1 3/4. It comes with the original brown Taylor case with nice crushed velvet type interior. These retailed for around $2600. I need a quick sale so am letting this go for $950. Not interested in trades of any kind, sorry. Local sales only, cash money only. Image

haoli25

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:28 pm

That ad scares me a little, Matt. I would want to SEE it and play it. I would also want to have the serial number checked to make sure it is not stolen. No cash deals with people you don't know. If he will not accept a Cashier's Check, something is WRONG.

Bill

wammer

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:40 pm

Thats funny Bill___ first thing I thought of was.........ITS HOT (stolen)

Can't imagine someone selling such a prized possession for so much less then paid for(or what its worth)

Tammy

haoli25

Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 pm

Great minds think alike, Tammy!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

michelew

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:26 am

The possibility of being hot aside, I'd love to check out that model of Taylor. Very nice. It sure does sound too good to be true.

AndyT

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:30 am

It could be legit, but I'd want to be able to check it out. I might even take a Cop with me that has a list of stolen guitars. If its a legit sale, then go for it, otherwise, you've brought cuffs with you.

And the Cops (in Hawaii at least) are usually very willing to go after this kind of thing.

BigBear

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:11 am

Matt- I purchased my Taylor 314 and a Les Paul off of eBay and got way more value than I expected. Both were as represented and where shipped UPS with no problem.

Personally, I really like the 700 series. I owned a 710, my first real high-end guitar, and enjoiyed the heck out of it. I stupidly sold it to my best guitar buddy. Big mistake but I wanted to buy a fancy Larrivee which I did.

The 700 series has been Taylor's lowest priced Indian Rosewood series. It is very plain in appearance but sounds wonderful. It is a direct competitior to Martin's HD-28 and to my ear there is no contest if you like bright, crystal clear tones. The Martin is warmer and more evenly balanced.

My only problem with the 712 is it is a Grand Concert size guitar which is really small in my hands. I love the X14 series which is a dreadnaught lower bout and basically a parlor sized upper bout. But this guitar is pretty small too.

Also, the 712's usually have an Englemann Spruce top, just like my Larrivee L-10 custom. You should check this out. Englemann is notoriously slow to open up and sound right. Some Englemann's never do sound right. It is a stunningly beautiful wood but I will never have another guitar with this top on it. It's just too tight for me.

A new 712 lists for around $3,600 and probably sells for around $3,000. Your guitar is 9 years old. The $950 asking price is fair IMHO.

It's always good to play a guitar before you buy but this is a lot of guitar for under a grand. I'd get realy good pictures from the seller and go for it if this is the guitar you want. I'm not a huge fan of this shape guitar but you may be!

Good luck, mate!

Cheers! :cheer:

TGMatt

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:25 am

excellent Bear thx mate..

I saw a Maton advertised here as well, don't see too many of those here..just a plethora of used Acoustic's fro sale in the bay right now...

tovo

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:47 am

TGMatt wrote:
excellent Bear thx mate..

I saw a Maton advertised here as well, don't see too many of those here..just a plethora of used Acoustic's fro sale in the bay right now...
If you want a Maton Matt I can help you out in terms of buying from ebay and ship it to you easily.

In terms of the Taylor, for under a grand it's a good buy I would say provided it is as described. My experience of ebay has been good, but what some people consider "minor" dings and scratches is not what I consider them to be.

willem

Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:53 am

This is a hot one,,a truck lost it,,but it was save in it's case..you can really burn your fingers..or not..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic