Taylor experts check in for advice on a 712 here pls

dennisg

Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:01 am

Matt,

I used to stay away from Grand Concert-sized guitars because I thought they were too small to produce decent sound. And that was true with some woods. But lately I've played a few GC's made from rosewood that really surprised me with their depth of bass and overall volume.

The guy's pink poodle case is nice.

The thing that bothers me about the ad is his assertion that the guitar would have sold for $2600 when new. Not a chance. A 2001 Taylor 712 without cutaway or electronics would have sold for less than $2000 new. The 2010 version (renamed the GC-7) sells for $2250 at Guitar Center, and even there you can get an additional 10% discount simply by asking for it.

Having said that, I happen to think $950 for a great-sounding rosewood Taylor is a very good price. If you're interested, get the serial number from the guy and call Taylor for verification. But it sounds like you have moved on to other things.

BigBear

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:55 pm

TGMatt wrote:
excellent Bear thx mate..

I saw a Maton advertised here as well, don't see too many of those here..just a plethora of used Acoustic's fro sale in the bay right now...

Buy the Taylor buddy! There is a reason so many of us, and so many professionals, are playing Taylors. Their popularity has exploded.

Dennis makes a good point. Is this guitar a 712ce or just a 712 without a pickup. Makes a big difference in price. If it was a 712ce he probably would have mentioned the electronics for added value.

Chasplaya

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 pm

I think this may be a legit deal, having checked out harmony for reviews the price of this one whilst a wee bit low is probably right for an auction site. 2699 might have been list price but not retail. Note ones in following list from harmony 2nd hand went for just over $1k. I'd still do a background check on serial number etc

Check em out your self:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/revi ... s/712/10/1

Personally I'd look at this deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cole-Clark-FL2AC-Bu ... 335f6d0827

TGMatt

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:50 pm

I think I will go take a look..its not on ebay...this is a craigslist special...

Thx for the advice all...

I have a few other guitars in the works, and will be selling all the stuff I have bar one to upgrade ..by by baby taylor, guild, alvarez and whatevr else I have in 5 storages I have forgoton about

MarkM

Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:41 am

Matt,

You've gotten some good advice here so far. I've got two Taylors at the moment. One is the DN8 with Sitka top and IRW back and sides. It's a big loud dred and lots of fun to play. Especially in alternate tunings. About a month ago I picked up a 714 limited edition with Madagascar RW back and sides. A bit smaller than the dred but surprisingly louder than I thought which I'm very pleased with. The 714 is a bit bigger than the one you are looking at but I can strum and fingerpick with it. I find myself picking up this guitar more and more and the DN8 only comes out when I want to play something from Neil Young or something similiar. The biggest difference from the guitar you ar looking at and say a newer model is the bracing. I think Taylor put in new bracing around 2006 or so and really revoiced the guitar. A GC sized guitar now will sound much different than the one you are looking at. Regardless of all this you should really try and play a bunch to get the sound that grabs you. I know it's difficult when trying to find that deal on the web. If you can't play that exact guitar then try to go to a shop that has many models and get a good feel for what you like to narrow down the make and model. Then it may be easier to find that great deal. Just my .02 cents. Hope you find what you are looking for.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic