Talk about a close call! Funny (and true) story- VIDEO ADDED PG2.

pbraun

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Al,
Congrats! A friend of mine has a Martin, it is a beautiful guitar in deed, it sounds so nice. Do yourself a favoror and check out the newest ZacBrown Band CD. It is a country group, there is a song called MARTIN, listen and you'll know why!
Congrats again
Pete

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:52 pm

MarkM wrote:
Nice guitar Al!!! Loved the story as well. I've been in that EXACT situation. Once you've got your heart and mind set on something it's tough to put the breaks on. Guitars can be very dangerous to the wallet if not carefully mangaed. Congratulations on the Martin and getting through the expierence unscathed. What guage strings are you using on that thing? Can't wait to see more from you.

MarkM

Thanks Mark.

Don't know the strings- whatever they're shipped with. But the action is a bit high right now. Will get it adjusted so it plays even easier.

AcousticAl

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:08 pm

Pete, Michele and everyone else, thanks for your comments.

Will try to upload an actual song soon.
I do so many demos of stuff that I've got to get back to playing!!

tovo

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Very nice...great success.

Lavallee

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:40 am

Beautiful acquisition Al, even nicer that your better half is in agreement (whatever the price :) ) . It sounds really good, that Dust in the wind intro was very rich. It really gives the 12 strings kinda sound.

Marc

suziko

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:00 am

Al- Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I was gone this weekend (off to a wedding in Iowa) and missed it. Firstly, congrats on the Martin. I know exactly what you mean. When I decided to trade the Taylyor 614 in for something else, I really planned to not spend any thing above what I'd get for the Martin. Well...... as soon as I played my Martin 0028-VS I knew I was in trouble. It was used (preowned- a 2009 in mint condition) so I wasn't going to be paying "new" price, but it was stilll quite a bit more than what I'd be getting for the Taylor. But I knew that it was the guitar for me, and immediately my head started whirling, trying to figure out how to get my husband to agree to it. I guess most of us go through that! It's good that your wife has the green light to spend money on something she enjoys (I LOVED the image of her playing guitar wither her zipper!).... seems like a win/win situation.

Lastly, I'm sure you're going to be happy with the Martin, but I also doubt very much it'll be your last guitar. :)

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:09 am

suziko wrote:
Al- Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I was gone this weekend (off to a wedding in Iowa) and missed it. Firstly, congrats on the Martin. I know exactly what you mean. When I decided to trade the Taylyor 614 in for something else, I really planned to not spend any thing above what I'd get for the Martin. Well...... as soon as I played my Martin 0028-VS I knew I was in trouble. It was used (preowned- a 2009 in mint condition) so I wasn't going to be paying "new" price, but it was stilll quite a bit more than what I'd be getting for the Taylor. But I knew that it was the guitar for me, and immediately my head started whirling, trying to figure out how to get my husband to agree to it. I guess most of us go through that! It's good that your wife has the green light to spend money on something she enjoys (I LOVED the image of her playing guitar wither her zipper!).... seems like a win/win situation.

Lastly, I'm sure you're going to be happy with the Martin, but I also doubt very much it'll be your last guitar. :)

My reputation preceeds me! I'm good for now, anyways. ;)

I don't think I knew you got a Martin as well. Congrats to you too!!

suziko

Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:26 am

My reputation preceeds me! I'm good for now, anyways.

I don't even mean to imply that you yourself can't stop acquiring new guitars. Rather that it's always tempting to get a new guitar, because there are just so many beautiful, great sounding guitars out there.

I got the Martin some time earlier in the summer and played it in my last video (The Ivory Salamander or Busted Down around O'Connelly Corners). I really liked the 614, but after playing it for a few months I began to realize that the body was just too big for me. It's one step up from my Taylor GC3 (it's a GA size), and that just doesn't work so well for me, being a small person. The Martin is closer in body-size to the GC3, perhaps a tad smaller. It's primarily a fingerpicking guitar, with the neck ending at the 12th fret instead of the 14th (hence a larger body and bigger sound). It has a slightly wider neck than the GC3; again, good for fingerpicking. But the thing that won me over was the mellow, rich sound of it- a real contrast to the bright, cheery sound of my GC3. It was the yin to my Taylor's yang :) I love them both, and don't foresee selling either any time soon.

AcousticAl

Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 pm

suziko wrote:
My reputation preceeds me! I'm good for now, anyways.

I don't even mean to imply that you yourself can't stop acquiring new guitars. Rather that it's always tempting to get a new guitar, because there are just so many beautiful, great sounding guitars out there.

I got the Martin some time earlier in the summer and played it in my last video (The Ivory Salamander or Busted Down around O'Connelly Corners). I really liked the 614, but after playing it for a few months I began to realize that the body was just too big for me. It's one step up from my Taylor GC3 (it's a GA size), and that just doesn't work so well for me, being a small person. The Martin is closer in body-size to the GC3, perhaps a tad smaller. It's primarily a fingerpicking guitar, with the neck ending at the 12th fret instead of the 14th (hence a larger body and bigger sound). It has a slightly wider neck than the GC3; again, good for fingerpicking. But the thing that won me over was the mellow, rich sound of it- a real contrast to the bright, cheery sound of my GC3. It was the yin to my Taylor's yang :) I love them both, and don't foresee selling either any time soon.

I know what you mean about the difference between Martins & Taylors. Spent quite a while messing around with both in the store. The sounds were so different! The Taylors were so bright and clear- the Martins were more rich and full.

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

Hahaha, I missed this story, it truly is funny! :lol:

Have fun on your Martin, wich I'm sure you will! ;)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic