The Show I Just Saw

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:38 am

I just got home after seeing a GENIUS BLUEGRASS show in an intimate packed venue. The main attraction was "Old Man Luedecke" who plays banjo and sometimes has backing musicians. He's won awards for his albums, is amazing in person. I found some Youtube stuff, have a looky-see if you fancy.

Little Bird

Thrown by the Bull

I Quit my Job

I haven't found YouTube videos to the also AMAZING opening act, which was Joey Wright.
This is a real discovery for me, a cross between bluegrass and early Pink Floyd. Here's a link to some samples (gotta click the albums on the site and then click the samples that are available):
http://www.blackhenmusic.com/artist/joey-wright

lueders

Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:31 am

This was really great stuff...Thank you for posting this. I will have to delve into OLd Man Luedecke further. Nice Mellow stuff.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:29 am

lueders, I had invited my brother and sister to celebrate a family occasion ... we were all flabergasted ... this man is a real poet, leaves you room to interpret, but still imposes either humor or drama. Gimme the recipe !

I gotta repeat ... the link I included regarding the opening act, Joey Wright, is also well worth appreciating (lotsa mandolin !)

Thanks for the heads up,
Pierre

Lavallee

Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:36 am

Hi Pierre it must have been a great evening. So far I had only seen fairly aggressive banjo players when they were solo. This guy sounds so smooth, probably because he seems to mainly strum. I like his style.

Thanks for introducing him to us

Marc

cosmicmechanic

Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:19 am

Here I go again ... just got back from this (intimate) show ... was categorized as rock-indie-pop ... go figure ... for me, it's cosmic folk bluegrass, with sometimes a touch of rock.

The opening band is "The Barr Brothers", and the headline band is "The Low Anthem"

Part of the beauty that attracts me to this type of music is how it changes the notion of time passing, making moments seem longer than usual.
As we get older, our perception is that time shrinks, don't you think?

Here are some YouTube peeks at these bands ...I thought maybe two videos of each band could be interesting.

The intro act .. The Barr Brothers playing "Old Mythologies" and then "Beggar in the Morning"

=================================================

And two tunes by The main act ... The Low Anthem

dennisg

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:43 pm

Pierre,

Thanks for all the great videos. I really enjoyed them.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:51 pm

Ditto that from here Pierre. Really enjoyable all of them.... must have been cool live.

willem

Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm

I like banjo's but I LOVE!! LOW ANTHEM,, tHANKS Pierre, i like strange instrument's and LOVE harmonies...

cosmicmechanic

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 am

I was at the Paul McCartney band's Montreal show last night. They played 3 hours at a 17,000 seat venue, was on the ground level, so we didn't use the seats ... everybody stood up, you can't sit down at a show like this ...

I just caught little pieces of it with my video recorder. The band appears mostly washed out in the lighting in the capture, so I won't tire you with 20 videos of ghosts.

Just thought I might show you a little bit of the feel of the show ...

pre-show

sing-along

thunder-and-fire

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:16 am

Pierre, you can't get better than McCartney live! Thanks for the peek.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic