Music room advice?

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:09 am

Hey TG!

Wondering if anyone has experience or advice on building a music room? We have an unfinished basement, and i'm thinking of finishing off a corner of it so I'll have a place to practice, keep my stuff etc. I'm looking for advice on everything.

My basement is basically a big 'L-shape', and is poured concrete floor and walls.

What should I consider? Flooring? Insulation? Wiring? Walls? Location in basement? Other stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Catman

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 am

What ever you decide, prepare lots of money. To paraphrase Hofstadter's law
It always costs more than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law
I think you will have to finish the entire basement, otherwise you will have a dust problem. I also think you will need acoustic paneling. Maybe not studio-type foam egg-cartons, but something to soften the acoustics: carpets, curtains, wall hangings. And sound-proofing--this would depend on the construction of the basement, but enough for you to play at a respectable volume without waking the children or the neighbors.

Other than that, a good computer link (CAT5 cabling to your router), a workstation for the computer with guitar stands nearby, something to raise your amps off the floor, and a secure lock so you are not disturbed.

Oh, and a room for me so I can come to live there...

-David

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:33 am

Hey David,

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm of two minds on the room..
On the one hand- I'm not a pro musician. Was just thinking of a place to play and not disturb the rest of the family. I don't necessarily want to go all out and make my own 'studio' per say.

BUT- if I'm doing it anyways, and have the luxury of starting from the concrete up-- what kind of stuff would I want to do- Stuff that won't necessarily break the bank?

Know what I'm sayin?

BTW- Finishing the whole basement isn't in the cards. This would be a 12 x 18 foot room (ish).

Catman

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:25 am

Al,

If you can work around the dust problem, then I think the rest of my points are still mostly valid (including, unfortunately, the Hofstadter quote).

Also, lots of electrical sockets on all sides of the room so you don't have to use adapters or trip over cables. Oh, and good lighting for the videos you will be recording.

--David

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 pm

A small Bar in the corner

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:08 pm

What kind of sound do you get now before doing anything, that will give a clue to what's required. I'd guess carpets under amp and where you play are a low cost thing to do, maybe save up those egg cartons to stick to the walls. Is it dry/damp/cold/warm . Do you have easy access to getting power points in there, what's the lighting like. What's the budget you're going to blow out lol! (always happens). You've said you have concrete walls so I'd be guessing you'd need to build in false walls for insulation, before you do that work out your electrical plan and add extra points/ switches etc, Do you want to build in any speakers for sound system , that all needs done before you put up walls. Whatever you do plan out your ultimate room go overboard with original plan then work backwards when you discover you need to win the lottery first!

Chasplaya

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Oh and you definitely need a sign:

AndyT

Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:08 pm

12 X 18 ? Riches!

Good advice so far. Plan your electrical system first and overkill it. Once you get everything built, you won't want to tear it apart when you discover you need one more plug... In a 12 X 18 room, I'd put a multi plug (electric / computer) every 3 or 4 feet. I'd run a new circut for it, maybe 2. Have a qualified electrician come in and do that part. You'll be glad you did.

Since you live near the north pole, I'd be sure and put insulation on the walls and floor. You know how cold it can get.

You can get a tremendous amount of sound proofing very simply and easily if you install styrofoam panels behind drywall. They also double as insulation so they are a good choice. If you cover the ceiling with them, they act as sound blockers and you will be surprised how much sound a 2 inch panel will stop. Once you have the walls and ceiling insulated and sound blocked, you can fill the room pretty much anyway you want.

AcousticAl

Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Thanks Chas and Andy.
Good idea about the styrofoam insulation and power outlets. You never seem to have enough.

I have no budget or timeline in mind yet. Luckily my father in law is a contractor, so I'd hopefully get him to do most of the work.

I would need a special place for the baby picture that's behind me in my videos now though. :)

heatndude

Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:35 pm

Hey Al sounds like a fun project.

I have a room I use that originaly had concrete walls, floor, 2x4 walls with drywall only and open ceiling to the floor joist. I added laminite flooring, finished the drywall and at that point the acoustics were not very good. The next step was to put in a drop tile type ceiling with insulation above it for sound and that helped a lot. I have also let my wife do some decorating with fabric curtains on the walls for sound deadening (fake Windows) and a areaa rug on the floor and now it sounds great in there. The room is 17 x 20 aproxx with a closet in it that I took the doors off and built in a desk to keep my stuff organized. There is a thing called wire mold that is a strip that has outlets in it about every six inches and I have surrounded the room in it, every wall has its own 15 amp circuit and every wall has ethernet hook up back to a hub by the desk which works out great. The tile ceiling allows me to add wire etc.. where ever I may need it and mount speakers in the corner for a small PA like set up. So the local home improvment store and guitar shop has seen a lot of me and its still not over ! Good luck with this and enjoy ! I will post pictures of my MAN CAVE when I get a chance but will need to remove some of the flowers my dear wife has put in there first !

MArk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic